Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

New dresser with cedar-lined drawers: getting rid of the smell?

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: Squeak

We have a new dresser that has cedar-lined drawers. But, any clothes we put into them come out smelling like we are in a hamster cage!

Is there anything you can do to reduce the smell initally before we put the rest of your clothes in there?

Posted by: TiVoLance

baking soda?

Posted by: johnmoorejohn

I thought the whole idea of a cedar coset was to keep clothes smelling like cedar?

I must have missed the point!

Posted by: Tsiehta

quote:
Originally posted by johnmoorejohn
I thought the whole idea of a cedar coset was to keep clothes smelling like cedar?

yeah, that kind of is the point, I thought.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you can get rid of the smell unless you get rid of the cedar.

quote:
Originally posted by johnmoorejohn

Oh man, oh man! If that is the case, me and the missus are going to have a talk tonight! She might have to be calling that Restoration Hardward truck back to haul these away!! :D

While some smell is ok, the clothes coming out now are actually 'stained' with red from the cedar -- so I assumed there was some break-in period to get them to be more useable!

Posted by: betamax

Cedar chests have been used for ages to prevent the bugs from eating your clothes.

quote:
Originally posted by betamax
Cedar chests have been used for ages to prevent the bugs from eating your clothes.

*sigh*

No offense, but I'm not stupid! :)

I know what the reason for cedar drawers are -- but I have a hard time believing it is considered acceptable for people that have cedar drawers to wear clothes that are red-stained and smell extremely strong of cedar.

Maybe I am wrong, and I am suppose to smell this way? :p

Posted by: Philosofy

If the cedar is actually leaving stains on your clothes, then they didn't dry the cedar properly. The stains are from tannic acid, and good aromatic cedar shouldn't do this at all.

quote:
Originally posted by Philosofy
If the cedar is actually leaving stains on your clothes, then they didn't dry the cedar properly. The stains are from tannic acid, and good aromatic cedar shouldn't do this at all.

Ok, now that makes sense....maybe I should call RH about this then, as I might have defective product.

Posted by: laria

I don't think the smell ever goes away. My grandmother had a cedar chest and a cedar closet that were both a good 50-75 years old and they still smelled very strongly of cedar.

Posted by: retrodog

Well the cedar smell is a lot better than the scent of moth balls.

"Have you ever smelled moth balls?"
"Why yes, I have."
"How'd you get their little legs apart?"

Ba-dum-bum

You can line the drawers with some sort of cabinet material, like you'd place in your cabinets in the kitchen. That will keep the stains away but the smell is a tough one. Get you some Varathane ( or something similar). This may seal the wood and minimize the scent transference to the cloth.

Posted by: stevel

The smell will vanish from your clothes after a short time in fresh air. No staining should be happening.

Posted by: KRS

quote:
Originally posted by betamax
------------------------------------------------------------------------

*sigh*

No offense, but I'm not stupid!

Wow, that smell really has squeak in a pissy mood! Did a hamster beat you up in middle school or something?

Posted by: murgatroyd

I agree that your clothes should not be coming out stained, and you should talk to the vendor or manufacturer.

I wouldn't use cedar-lined drawers for everyday clothes. If I had a dresser with cedar-lined drawers, and had resolved the staining problem, I would use it for long-term storage of wool sweaters, blankets, and so on -- the things that need the cedar to keep the moths away.

Cedar is usually kept unfinished so that when the smell wears off, you can sand it lightly to restore the aromatic properties. I think part of the problem may be that you have a dresser full of cedar-lined drawers rather than the more traditional cedar chest. You have more exposed area of cedar per volume of air enclosed than a cedar chest has.

Drawers are tiny by comparison. My experience when using sachets is that a little bit goes a LONG way when the smelly item is inside a drawer rather than hanging up in a closet or in a large chest.

One of the problems may also be that the way we use furniture today is not what it used to be when the piece was designed. I'm assuming since you mentined Restoration Hardware that this is a reproduction of an older-style piece. In the days when the original was designed, the owner may have had a valet who would take out the clothes the night before they would be worn to let them air out. ;)

So you may want to take out the garments you plan to wear the next day before you go to bed, and hang them up somewhere else (bathroom?) to let them air out overnight. If your bathroom is not too stinky, then letting them hang up in the steamy air while/after you've taken a shower may freshen them up a bit.

Good luck.

Jan

Posted by: Kablemodem

Leave your clothes on the floor like I do. It makes it easier to see what you want to wear.

quote:
Originally posted by murgatroyd
I wouldn't use cedar-lined drawers for everyday clothes.

Really? :confused:

The bedroom set we bought from RH only came with cedar-lined drawers (triple dresser, and tall dresser) -- there was no other option. It seemed to me like a normal bedroom set, and not one that should only be used for special clothes.

Maybe I just didn't do enough research.

Posted by: jsmeeker

quote:
Originally posted by Squeak
Really? :confused:

The bedroom set we bought from RH only came with cedar-lined drawers (triple dresser, and tall dresser) -- there was no other option. It seemed to me like a normal bedroom set, and not one that should only be used for special clothes.

Maybe I just didn't do enough research.

I wouldn't either, mostly becasue of the smell issue. I too have always thought of cedar lined chests or closets as being a place for storage of wool items during the warmer months.

Posted by: murgatroyd

I'm not any kind of expert. I just know how smelly my clothes got from a couple of ziploc-sized bags (one of rose petals, another of lavender) inside a regular-sized dresser drawer.

Jan

Posted by: Drewster

I couple years ago I rented a room in which a portion of the closet had been lined with cedar planks. Not floor to ceiling, and not all the way across. Turned out it was just enough to keep my hanging clothes smelling delightfully fresh.

Maybe you should let the empty drawers air out in the garage for a few days?

Posted by: DBCooper

Seems like a clear case of a product not matching requirements or expectations. Return it/them.

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray