Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

Tivo keeps freezing

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: deebee

hope someone can help, my Tivo keeps freezing on one or other of the sky channels, the only way to get it to work again is to disconnect from the mains, and re-connect, thus performing a re-set, have been doing this for a couple of weeks now, and every time it still keeps freezing, can anyone give any advice??

Posted by: ozsat

Do you mean the picture is freezing - or the unit is locking up completely?

the tv screen has a frozen picture, and the remote doesn't do anything; the only way to get it going again is to unplug from the mains, then reconnect, and the Tivo then re-sets

Posted by: Automan

quote:
Originally posted by deebee
the tv screen has a frozen picture, and the remote doesn't do anything; the only way to get it going again is to unplug from the mains, then reconnect, and the Tivo then re-sets

If when the picture has frozen, do you get live a livetv picture if you press the AUX key on your Tivo remote?

Automan.

Posted by: ozsat

Also, does TiVo have a good fresh air supply - ie: not in a cabinet?

Posted by: bignoise

If it can't be cleared up by anything that's already been suggested, your TiVo may not be in good shape. Watch (or dump to VHS) ANYTHING you really want to see while you can, just in case.

tanks, i guess it could be something as simple as air supply, although it's not in a cabinet, it has the digibox on top, so will try moving it, here's hoping!!

thanks for the suggestion

Posted by: Robert S

It sucks air in underneath towards the front and blows it out the back, so it won't notice the digibox on top.

What's the reported temperature? TiVo's have to get /very/ hot before they start to stutter - it's difficult to get a Series 1 standalone hot enough, although the later US units have much poorer ventilation.

Posted by: gwynnej3

My Tivo froze last night, from Tivo Central I had chosen Pick Programmes to Record > Record by Time & Channel > All Channels > Monday > 6.30pm after scrolling the wrong way (to 6.00pm, earlier than actual time) then forward to 6.30 again, it froze. THe green light showed yellow in response to the remote, but otherwise nothing.

Power off and on again restored normality.

Posted by: JonMace

I'v had the same problems maybe due to the hot weather if a lot uf us are getting it?

Posted by: wrayr

Really bad.

The picture doesn't freeze but when I go to change channels it can take up to five minutes before things take effect.

I spoke to Tivo tonight and they don't have a clue what to do.

I've checked the temp and its at 40 - 41 degrees and claims to be normal.

HELP!!!!!

Posted by: iankb

A temperature of 41C should not be a problem. If it takes up to 5 minutes to change channel, it is probably IR interference. Check for the usual sources of rogue IR, such as stuck buttons, a remote under a pile of magazines, radio interference on a video/remote sender, fluorescent or low-power lights, and bright sunlight.

Ian.

Posted by: MacBandit

My DirecTivo use to reset and hang and do all sorts of weird things. I finally made the guess that I was getting dirty power (low voltage, noise in the line, etc.) so I got a UPS. Ever since I have had the Tivo connected to the UPS I have not had one problem with hangs and resets.

Cheaper UPS's only cut in when there is a total lack of input voltage (blackouts) and make no attempt to clean up poor-quality power input. Mid-priced UPS's (with Automatic Voltage Control/Regulation) can switch to battery when voltages rise or fall by an extreme amount (brownouts). Only very expensive UPS's will apply permanent voltage control such that poor-quality input may be cleaned-up.

However, UPS's will normally include spike suppressors, which may perform a very limited amount and limited type of power cleaning.

Ian.

Posted by: MacBandit

quote:
Originally posted by iankb
Cheaper UPS's only cut in when there is a total lack of input voltage (blackouts) and make no attempt to clean up poor-quality power input. Mid-priced UPS's (with Automatic Voltage Control/Regulation) can switch to battery when voltages rise or fall by an extreme amount (brownouts). Only very expensive UPS's will apply permanent voltage control such that poor-quality input may be cleaned-up.

However, UPS's will normally include spike suppressors, which may perform a very limited amount and limited type of power cleaning.

Ian.

I can only describe what my experience has been.

Posted by: sanderton

quote:
Originally posted by iankb

Ian.

Mine was cheap and claims to clean up the output voltage. Never stuck a multimeter on to see if it actually does!

Posted by: KenS

Like deebee, my Tivo has started to hang. (Better not say freeze as it's still warm weather this week). The tv always shows a frozen picture, with slight pixilation/distortion and each time green and red lights are both on. This behaviour has only started in the last few weeks. The remote control will not bring it out of the hung state, even with fresh batteries. Only removing power. Has there been a recent software update?
Ken

Recent software update? You're kidding, right?

Anyway, in addition to the other things mentioned above, you might want to run PowerMax on the drive(s). This could well be a bad block. (Unlock the drive with qunlock if (and only if) it detects as 10Mb (megabytes) on boot).

Posted by: woody

Has there been a recent software update?

if it April 1st you might get lots of YES replies :)

I would also suggest the Powermax test on the drives, although Powermax will usually pass a drive that doesn't work to well in a Tivo.

The other thing that may help is a cheap UPS. The one I have says that it will cut in when the voltage falls below 196volts, and I guess from the specs, that it will protect my Tivo and other items from voltages above 264volts, as the specs say input voltage 180-264.

I think this is a bad block on the disk, in which case PowerMax should catch it.

For less spectacular problems (general stuttering etc), PM may well pass the drive, in which case DiskSpeed32 is worth a try as it works the drive much more like a TiVo does (in particular, it's sensitive to variations in speed, which PM isn't).

Posted by: H1ghlander

So, if I get this right, there's a few things that might be wrong:
1. Power Spikes
2. Bad blocks on Hard Drive
3. High temperature

Questions:
- Could power spikes be affecting anything else? My wireless broadband Internet connection seems to be dropping all over the show, meaning I have to reset that too.
- Can you fix "bad blocks" on the Tivo Hard-drive without losing programmes and replacing the Hard Drive?
- Can fixing bad blocks be done without removing the Hard Drive from the Tivo?
- Might removing all program data from the Hard Drive, effectively reformat it?
- How hot is hot? My TIVO says 35 degrees (Normal) even though it was plonked ON TOP of the Cable receiver (pretty hot to touch - since moved!).

Any help would be appreciated, as the Box has a tendency to randomly Hang overnight and miss quite a few programmes as a result!

Cheers!

Posted by: sanderton

quote:
Originally posted by H1ghlander
Questions:
- Could power spikes be affecting anything else? My wireless broadband Internet connection seems to be dropping all over the show, meaning I have to reset that too.
- Can you fix "bad blocks" on the Tivo Hard-drive without losing programmes and replacing the Hard Drive?
- Can fixing bad blocks be done without removing the Hard Drive from the Tivo?
- Might removing all program data from the Hard Drive, effectively reformat it?
- How hot is hot? My TIVO says 35 degrees (Normal) even though it was plonked ON TOP of the Cable receiver (pretty hot to touch - since moved!).

Power spikes ban bggr up all kinds of stuff, so maybe.

Sometimes the HD maintenance utility can "fix" ie, block from usage, any bad blocks. But if they are appearing that typically means that the disk's own autorepair system has run out of good blocks to replace bad blocks with, which is not a good sign for the future.

You have to take the disk out, although there is a workaround of never deleting teh programme containing the bad block, thus locking it form use.

No, removing the data does not reformati it.

35 degrees is fine.

Posted by: Paul_J

I have noticed the same problem on mine, it is always just after a daily call when it is very busy with background processes. It normally continues recording and when the AUX button is pressed all looks fine on sky. I find that once this has happened it does clear up after a while.

In theory, the MFS partitions that hold the recordings use very large blocks and therefore don't need defragmentation. However, I presume that the database files on the linux partitions do expand, and therefore might become fragmented. Just a guess as to why indexing might stress the drives a bit too much on some machines. If nothing else, if the drive allocates spare blocks to replace bad blocks, that will cause automatic fragmentation.

Ian.

Posted by: H1ghlander

Thanks guys.

I bought one of those 6-gang, power-spike protection doobries, but it didn't solve the problem; a few hours later, Tivo hung itself again.

Given that I don't have a PC to hand (and then not one with anything under Windows XP - compatibility problem with Tivo?), I can't defrag any drives and such like so I've bitten the bullet and deleted everything and effectively reset the Tivo.

It's worked for 24hrs so far... so I guess it could have been something to do with "bad blocks" at the end of the second Tivo drive, given that it was pretty darned full of stuff...?

Fingers crossed that I don't have to do anything again for quite a while... but is there a thread that'll tell me how to take out and fix a hard-drive (with bad blocks or whatever) should I need to do it in the future?

If you take your drive out, you need to run the most comprehensive tests in the drive manufacturer's diagnostic program (which you should be able to download from their website). Either this will give you an error code (which will enable replacement under any remaining drive warranty), or not, in which case you should be able to restore a good backup to the drive.

The handling of bad blocks is normally automatic within the drive firmware (it will allocate a spare block to replace the bad block). It is possible that the diagnostic program might be able to handle a limited number of additional bad blocks but, normally, it will just suggest a drive replacement.

Ian.

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray