Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

Modulated output -Not stero?

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: Mike Beckage

I have read that the modulated output is not stero. Is there a realatively inexpensive modulator that will transmit stero through the coax cable. Also I have two tivos, The modulated output on 1 is set to 3 the other 4. They work fine separately however is I combine them on a single coax cable I get very poor reception on either channel. Is this due to signal overlap. Is there a modulator that will use a different channel range (again preferably stereo and relatively inexpensive).

regards

Mike

Posted by: Fish Man

It is true that the channel 3/4 output is not stereo. No satellite IRD has ever had a stereo (MTS) RF output.

No VCR has ever had one either, with the exception of a couple of "VHS Dolby-B Stereo" units manufactured in the early 80's (before VHS HiFi existed.) That was back when basic-featured VCR's that cost $1000 were not uncommon so the MTS capable modulator didn't raise the cost that much percentage-wise.

Anyway, to answer your question:

Modulators with stereo capability are quite a bit more expensive than mono ones. You can find a mono modulator for about $15. Expect to pay 10 times that ($150 or so) for a stereo capable modulator.

Using a good quality splitter/combiner to combine a channel 3 and a channel 4 output onto the same cable should work OK (with mono or stereo modulators). The "cheapness" of the modulators in the DirecTiVo may be what caused it to not work that well.

Posted by: ThePhantom

I could be wrong, but I thought I saw a Philips RF modulator in Wal-Mart that touted "true stereo" MTS stereo output. I'll need to check the product packaging next time I'm there. Search for PM61153 @ walmart.com (I couldn't find ANY other info on this modulator -- not even on the Philips website!)

Posted by: Edmund

Radio shack has the 15-2525, for $39.

Posted by: wmcbrine

It doesn't mention the true stereo RF on walmart.com, but it looks like a nice device anyway: switchbox + RF modulator for only $35.

Edmund, your link is broken.

Posted by: LostCluster

Here's the logic for why they'll never include a stereo modulator in the unit:

The stereo RF modulator is always gonna be at least $10-20 more expensive than the mono one. There aren't very many stereo TVs out there that don't have an AV input as well. So, why increase the cost of the device by $10-$20 when such a small segment of the population would appreciate it?

Posted by: Edmund

quote:
Originally posted by wmcbrine
Edmund, your link is broken.

Thanks, try it now.

Posted by: ncshawng

quote:
Originally posted by ThePhantom
I could be wrong, but I thought I saw a Philips RF modulator in Wal-Mart that touted "true stereo" MTS stereo output. I'll need to check the product packaging next time I'm there. Search for PM61153 @ walmart.com (I couldn't find ANY other info on this modulator -- not even on the Philips website!)

Radio Shack has a new stereo modulator too for $39.99. Part # 15-2525

Posted by: Fish Man

Wow.

That Rat-Shack modulator is surprisingly cheap!

First one I've seen for under $100. :up:

Posted by: Tutman

You cannot combine the RF outputs of two Tivos (one set to 3, the other to 4) because the output of these modulators are centered around channel 3 or 4, but extend way past the channel frequency range. Channel 3 will bleed onto 4, and channel 4 will bleed onto 3. On the other hand, you should be able combine the outputs of good quality modulators.

Posted by: The Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beckage
Is there a modulator that will use a different channel range (again preferably stereo and relatively inexpensive).
Mike

Mike, this is the modulator I use it broadcasts 2 modulated signals on any unused channels you select. The inputs are composite (white/red/yellow) but I'm not sure it broadcasts in stereo, its works great for me (I have 2 TiVos). It even transmits the IR signals from your remote to the TiVo. (includes an IR target for 1 TV. Extra's are $40ea.)

Do a search here on Sony MRD-D1 or multi room distribution for more info. Theres is another product called Channel Plus that is more expensive but may transmit signals in stereo.

Here's a link from Orbitsat you may find it cheaper on ebay or elsewhere.
http://www.orbitsat.com/cyberstore/....asp?PID=MRD-D1

Most of the reply's in this thread are for channel 3/4 outputs only.

Posted by: ADent

Wow. I saw a 'RF Modulator with Stereo Audio" at Walmart but it had a set of stereo audio outputs and didn't explicitly say it put out a stereo RF signal.

The new Dish 822 is supposed to have a frequency selectable stereo RF modulator.

----
RS has a $25 frequency selectable mono modulator - the 15-1243 ( http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...%5Fid=15%2D1243 )

Posted by: jsharper

Has anyone actually confirmed that the RadioShack $40 stereo modulator actually outputs an MTS stereo RF signal? For that price, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it just took a stereo signal, combined it, and put out a mono audio signal in the RF. I know that would be lame, but I don't see anything in the "manual" that reinforces the fact that the RF out is stereo.

This also would not be unheard of. I have a higher end quad RF modulator from ChannelPlus and it has "stereo" audio inputs, meaning it has separate left and right audio inputs to support a stereo device's output. but it very clearly is not a stereo modulator... it combines the left and right.

quote:
Originally posted by jsharper
Has anyone actually confirmed that the RadioShack $40 stereo modulator actually outputs an MTS stereo RF signal?
In the description on the web page, it says "Stereo output for theater-like sound!" Since the RF is the only output, that seems clear-cut. But I agree that it's not explicit in the PDF.

You can buy one and take it back if it's not real stereo -- Radio Shack has a good return policy. I plan to do that next time I'm there, unless I get the Philips one first.

Posted by: Mike Beckage

Yes it does broadcast in MTS stereo and furthermore it has inputs for two different devices with a mannual pushbutton t select between them (maybe future models will be remot controlled?). Furthermore it also will accept svideo input in addition to RCA style. Is there any picture quality advantage to using s-video rather than RCA on a modulator?

Great price and performs as advertised. Who could ask for more.

Thanks for the help.:)

I doubt the s-video helps in this case -- I'd guess it's just there so you can plug in devices that don't have composite out (if there are any such things). But it's worth trying.

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray