Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

Llama llama

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: LlamaLarry

Wife just called to inform me that we have a new llama in the herd. Woo hoo! Anyone interested in a pic after I get home and do all the farmer stuff?

Posted by: rhuntington3

Sure! Why not?

Posted by: will_not55

Does llama taste like chicken?

<sorry, I'll shut up now>

Posted by: Boot

quote:
Originally posted by will_not55
Does llama taste like chicken?

No, but I'll bet it tastes like cchicken.

LOL, it took me a sec.

Question: isn't the llama a native of South America?

If so, is the pronounciation in Spanish "yama".

http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/dxendopar/images/animalimages/llama.gif

Posted by: retrodog

quote:
Originally posted by will_not55
Question: isn't the llama a native of South America?

If so, is the pronounciation in Spanish "yama".

http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/dxendopar/images/animalimages/llama.gif

No, but the jama is. :D

We should do a poll...

"Who wins in a fight, a llama or an alpaca"? :D

http://www.bbfarmstay.com.au/benbellen/images/alpaca.jpg

Posted by: nmiller855

How big are they when they are born?

quote:
Originally posted by nmiller855
How big are they when they are born?

Awwww, how cute.

http://www.calamankey.cwc.net/images/lamaver.jpg

Posted by: gregpr

Way cool. My brother's father in-law keeps 2 llamas and an alpaca on his estate.

Pictures, please! :)

quote:
Originally posted by AngryPuppy
I always keep my distance from these animals when I see them (county fairs or whatever...not that I see them often).

It always seems like when you see one of these guys on a funny video show, the clip will end with someone getting spit on.

Ick. Not funny.

Terry

[blade]Sissy.[/blade]

:D

quote:
Originally posted by Boot
No, but I'll bet it tastes like cchicken.

LOL, very funny. If I cannot figure out how to get these great animals to earn their keep I will be looking for people to sell my "Larry's Llama Jerky". . .

Better pics will follow after I get her cleaned up, weighed, etc.

Posted by: stevel

Moose.

Posted by: jennifer

Aww...how sweet! When I was younger, we had a few goats as pets. They would occasionally reproduce and the kids were just so precious.

Enjoy them while they're young - and not spitting ;)

Another Pic

Last one.

As for the spitting thing. I have been spit on a few times, but I think the fear is a little overstated. Usually only "bad" llamas spit at people, I have only been spit on by accident as in getting in the line of fire or by startling them (especially the juveniles). It's not the spit that bugs me, it's the stinky chunks of grass. Ewwww.

Names for this little girl?

Posted by: Jobeth66

quote:
Originally posted by LlamaLarry

Names for this little girl?

I like Steve's suggestion.

Moose seems to fit. :)

Posted by: gregpr

Chocolat?

Posted by: nmiller855

Too bad it's not a boy or it could be Ed Hopper. Maybe some variation of Ed such as Edna, Edwina, etc.

What a bunch of cute little critters. I wish you lived closer to Texas. I'd come over and help you feed them. They are pretty cool.

Posted by: Boot

Retrollama. Retro for short.

(or maybe troll for short?)

Coco.

Posted by: Marco

Can't believe we've gotten this far without ...

[python](cue flamenco guitar)"Llamas ... son mas grandes ... que ... las ranas.
English voiceover: Llamas are larger than frogs."[/python]

Posted by: 6079 Smith W

Here you go, Marco:

[python]The llama is a quadruped which lives in the big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming. [/python]

Posted by: ManOfSnow

What does a llama rancher do with the llamas? People don't eat them do they? I can't imagine they are popular pets.. I've never seen llama milk. Actually, the only person that I've ever heard of owning a llama is Michael Jackson.

Posted by: scottjf8

Damn, I had a Revenge of the Nerds flashback...

Lambda Lambda Lambda...

quote:
Originally posted by ManOfSnow
What does a llama rancher do with the llamas? People don't eat them do they? I can't imagine they are popular pets.. I've never seen llama milk. Actually, the only person that I've ever heard of owning a llama is Michael Jackson.
Actually it tastes a lot like breast milk. Well that's what I hear anyway. ;)

:eek:

Posted by: datlan

quote:
Originally posted by stevel
Moose.

That's funny. I actually have two llamas. One of our goats is named Moose, though, not a llama. That makes much more sense... ;)

quote:

I know some people have them for their wool. Personally, I have them because (a) they're cool; (b) they help eat my 6.6 acres of grass, (c) their, ahem, waste makes really good compost, and (d) I saved them from people who were no longer interested in taking care of them.

BTW, I have never seen my llamas spit.

quote:

There are a lot of llama farms around here for some reason. I pass by at least 2 on my way to my "real job". I also pass a place with ostriches that I am dying for but I hear that they are mean.

I do sell their fleece (I have 9 now but the babies aren't going to be shorn for a while). I can definitely attest to the quality of their manure as a fertilizer, but not quite ready to get into that market.

I also have been selling a couple of the crias every season. I should end up with 5 more when this cycle ends and have them ready to go in the spring.

Other then that they make a great backdrop on my farm and give me an excuse to keep hay in the hayloft. :D

As for the way their milk tastes - yech! ;)

Datlan, where are you and how old are your llamas? Genders? Colors? :)

Posted by: stevel

quote:
Originally posted by datlan
That's funny. I actually have two llamas. One of our goats is named Moose, though, not a llama. That makes much more sense... ;)

Well, I was trying to make a Monty Python reference, but I guess I was a bit too obscure about it.

(In the credits for "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", there is an extended joke with "moose" showing up in the "subtitles" in various ways. Eventually, that stops, and then, after a moment, "Llama" appears.)

quote:
Originally posted by LlamaLarry
Datlan, where are you and how old are your llamas? Genders? Colors? :) [/B]

I'm not certain, but I would guess that they are 4 or 5 years old. One is a fixed male and one is a female. They are both a mixture of white, brown, and black. They are a lot of fun to watch. Unfortunately, they weren't brought up with much human contact, so they don't really like to be pet. We have worked with them, though, so we can now at least catch them and give them some pets.

I live in Estacada, Oregon -- about 40 miles from Portland in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains. I see quite a few llamas out here, as well.

Posted by: esperantisto

Llama!

Posted by: mwhip

Hey Larry, Llama story here:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/...2855574,00.html

Great story! When I first got llamas I had two unaltered males (brothers). These things are a bit bigger up close that you imagine and it took a while for everyone to get used to each other. Once when I was adjusting the halter on the older male he swung around and batted me over with his hind section. It seriously knocked me completely off my feet and onto the stable floor and I don't think he even noticed. My wife thought it was hilarious. :)

Every party we host has at least one drunken person trying to ride one of the large males. While fun to watch we have yet to get anyone seriously hurt although we thought we had a broken collarbone once when the llama stopped short and the would be rider flew into a fence post.

Nothing spookier than having a bonfire, adding some dinks and having a llama sneak up on you in the pasture. More than one lady visitor has been terrified by a llama creeping up to sniff their hair.

Jeez, I guess I really do like these guys!

Anyone want to hear my llama burial story?

That article reminds me of another reason why people get llamas. Supposedly, they are good at protecting other livestock (as they were at protecting the man in the article after injuring him). They make this great, loud warning sound whenever they feel danger is near.

Unfortunately, I don't think my llamas are very good at protecting our other animals. Two of our pigmy goats have been killed in the last year -- one by neighborhood dogs and one by (we think) coyotes.

LlamaLarry -- that's a great story about your parties. I wish my llamas were that friendly! I don't know if I want to hear about the llama burial, though...sounds like it could be sad.

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray