Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

How to get scuff marks off car body?

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: will_not55

So this older guy decides to change lanes, but didn't want the inconvenience of having to look to check if the lane was clear.

The lane wasn't clear, I was in it. He made contact with my car and we both instinctively slammed the brakes.

Seems like the side of my car has scuff marks from the side moldings of his door. I think underneath the scuff the paint is ok.

The only wax I have at home is NuFinish, and it lightened the marks but didn't get rid of them completely.

Is there anything better at removing the rubber-ish/plastic-ish scuff that's still there? Is it dangerous to use rubbing compound?

Posted by: Bharnz

I dont think mine will be coming out to easy:mad: http://www.boomspeed.com/bharnz/hood1

Posted by: stevel

A "clearcoat-safe" polish should do it.

Posted by: Kablemodem

A good carnuba wax with a lot of rubbing should get it off. If not, you might need to use a mild rubbing compound followed by the wax.

Posted by: DPF

Yes, VERY mild compound. In the tube, not the tub. Had a few shopping cart/"fool in car next to me in lot" dings in rear passenger door that scuffed paint. Used Rubbing compound to fill in scuffed paint, then polishing compound thinking that would do it. Still too cloudy and could see it. Got some of the tube-stuff, I think it's made by Maguires. A little rubbing and it was as glossy as the rest. Worked great. Can't tell there was ever anything there. I can't remember if they call it polish or a polishing cleaner or what.

Any kind of rubbing/polishing compound in a tub is too abrasive and will leave a cloudy area. I'll post the stuff when I get home tonight. Will work great for you. You can always use rubbing compund to get the stuff off, then clean up the cloudy with the very fine abrasive liquid tubed stuff.

-DPF

What is rubbing compound? Or what does it do?

Posted by: milo99

will_not-

you by any chance have a digital camera to take a pic of the problem area?

Now first off, wax will not clean anything. Wax is a protectant. It may HIDE problems, but that's it.

Second, rubbing compound may not be necessary, and if you have a relatively newer car, it will probably have a clear coat, which means that rubbing compound should be a big no-no, unless clearly marked as "clearcoat safe".

Some questions. Is it something that looks like its on TOP of the paint surface, like something rubbed off on top of it, or does it look like the surface was affected?

If it's what your description sounds like, it would be on top, which makes it much easier. I'd first try something as simple as a citrus cleaner like Orange Clean, the stuff you can buy at Home Depot or Bed Bath and Beyond. Spray on, buff off with a nice terry cloth towel. May take a few applications.

if that doesn't do it, then you'd need to try some of the paint surface solutions, but it would help to see the problem before making any educated suggested. Feel free to PM me, as I unfortunately can't check the board too often nowadays :(.

Posted by: snoop

I had the same thing, and used a water based adhesive remover (found in any hardware store, walmart, etc). Came right off. No harm to the finish. Rewashed and rewaxed the car as the adhesive remover did remove the wax.

Posted by: Graymalkin

When I first saw this thread, I read it as "How to get car scuff marks off body." :eek:

Posted by: pcgrrll

Try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser..it really works :D

(Can't guarantee that it won't take off some of the paint though since I haven't tried it on a car...it's just a sponge though so I wouldn't imagine that it would)

Posted by: Jon J

quote:
Originally posted by will_not55
What is rubbing compound? Or what does it do?
Mild abrasive for rubbing out mild abrasions.

Posted by: bgreen5

The only 100% cure for auto body scuff marks: blood. Lots and lots of it.

With enough blood, people will be too busy to pay attention to the scuffs.

;)

Posted by: mrmike

Imperial Hand Glaze - a 3M product. It's a very mild compound. Lots of folks I know use it as a detailing step once a year with no ill effects.

-MM

Posted by: Jobeth66

Huh.

And NO ONE came up with the correct answer.

Go to a body shop you trust, and would like to have do the paint repair. (NOT Maaco!)

Get an estimate for them to repair the damaged area.

Send a copy of the estimate along with a nice letter to the gentleman who struck your vehicle, let him know that you would like to know when you can expect payment in full for the damages he caused, including the cost of a rental vehicle while yours is in the shop being repaired.

And if he doesn't want to pay it out of pocket, can he please turn it over to his insurance company so that you can get it fixed as quickly as possible, thanks.

:)

(Your friendly neighborhood claims adjuster...)

Posted by: Saturn

How about your fingernail? Lots of surface stuff can be scraped off... I've been happy with Meguier's polish (in a tube, as above) to remove some scrapes and such in my clearcoat. Worked great.

Posted by: Kablemodem

quote:
Originally posted by Jobeth66
And if he doesn't want to pay it out of pocket, can he please turn it over to his insurance company so that you can get it fixed as quickly as possible, thanks.

Sir, who hit your car?

I'm not sure, as he just kept going.

Do you have a description of the car or the driver?

He was an older guy.

You live in Miami, right?

Yeah.

We'll get right on that.

OK. Thanks. Bye.

quote:
Originally posted by Kablemodem
Sir, who hit your car?

I'm not sure, as he just kept going.

Do you have a description of the car or the driver?

He was an older guy.

You live in Miami, right?

Yeah.

We'll get right on that.

OK. Thanks. Bye.

Now, now, Kablemodem.

Don't be cynical.

I'm sure our buddy Will_Not did everything by the book, got all the other driver's information, insurance company name & policy number, called the police, etc.

That's what anyone would do.

Posted by: whoknows55

quote:
Now, now, Kablemodem.

Don't be cynical.

I'm sure our buddy Will_Not did everything by the book, got all the other driver's information, insurance company name & policy number, called the police, etc.

That's what anyone would do.

Freak :p

Posted by: Todd

I've used car bug and tar remover before and it worked well.

quote:
Originally posted by whoknows55
Freak :p

Yes, dear??

:D

quote:
Yes, dear??

:D

Just checking if you were still listening to me. :)

quote:
Originally posted by whoknows55
Just checking if you were still listening to me. :)

I always listen to you, Andrew, and you know it. :)

Now, I may not AGREE with you...

quote:
I always listen to you, Andrew, and you know it. :)

Now, I may not AGREE with you...

Yes I have noticed your tendency to take a position contrary to mine on most emotionally charged issues. ;)

Oops, milo, I got your message too late. Thanks anyway, I'll post how I got it off.

Saturn: I ended up using my thumbnail along with the polishing compound. At one point I dipped my thumb in the paste and then scraped the scuff off, very time consuming but results were perfect.

Well, I got the mark off, totally. Luckily, as I suspected and hoped, they were all on TOP of the paint.

Since the were very tough to remove I decided to use a tough cleaner. The auto store I went to had several but I ended up choosing Turtle Wax Polishing Compound in a tub. (Green tub, white paste). I almost chose the Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound (Red tub) but the guy behind the counter warned me not to.

I tested the product in a "blind" area and it didn't hurt the paint or surface.

Product says the use a damp cloth to apply then remove it just before it dries. The easier parts of the scuff came off easily, the tough parts required several applications and the good ole' thumbnail. Very tough.

Total about 2 hours work and about $3 in costs. :up:
Thanks TCF.

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray