Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

crime shows: what's the CODUS (or Cotus?) database?

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: cwoody222

On CSI and other crime shows they always run fingerprints, DNA, blood, etc. thru a database called CODUS (or is it COTUS?) to get an ID on a victim, perp, etc.

What is this database? What does it stand for? What types of people does it include (just past criminals)?

Anyone know?

Posted by: Knative

It's CODIS, the COmbined DNA Index System. Basically a database of DNA gathered through investigation of crimes.

Posted by: yzzzguy

quote:
Originally posted by Knative
It's CODIS, the COmbined DNA Index System. Basically a database of DNA gathered through investigation of crimes.

Correct. And to expand on that for cwoody222...it does NOT contain fingerprint data - Only DNA information. It contains DNA info on people who were arrested and had DNA samples taken from them AND it contains unknown DNA taken from crime scenes, too.

Guy

Posted by: Corey140

Also, some states required convicted felonies to give DNA samples so that it can be entered into CODIS.

Posted by: cwoody222

Thanks everyone!

Posted by: ClutchBrake

Don't kill the thread yet. What are luds (sp?)? In nearly every episode of Law & Order they refer to pulling the luds. It means phone records, but what does it stand for?

Posted by: KnightShade

Local Usage Details

Posted by: ClutchBrake

quote:
Originally posted by KnightShade
Local Usage Details

Does that take into account long distance? Wasn't sure if local meant the local line or the service itself.

Thank you. :)

Posted by: JohnJr

I keep pausing my TiVo on the database screens. One day I'll get a user-id and login. I wan't to see how many databases I'm on. ;)

-John

Posted by: HTH

So everyone knows what a "skel" is?

Posted by: ourdoc

quote:
Originally posted by JohnJr
I keep pausing my TiVo on the database screens. One day I'll get a user-id and login. I wan't to see how many databases I'm on. ;)

-John

Sorry John.. you're going to have a hard time doing that:D

Just so you know, any computer that can access the CODIS or NCIC has to be a secure computer in a secure place where no prying eyes can view it. In other words, behind closed and locked doors... It can't even be in any place where it could accidentally be viewed by anyone other than Law Enforcement personnel. Part of the rules of access.. If you violate this, and they find out, your entire Department can lose access.. You also have to take a occasional test to even be an operator on a computer that can access the databases.. It is a very secure system with many checks and balances on every inquiry.

Posted by: Gunnyman2k3

quote:
Originally posted by HTH
So everyone knows what a "skel" is?

From the NYPD Blue FAQ:
Short-hand for "skeleton"; i.e., what most drug-users wind up looking like. A derogatory term used to describe low-life junkies. Also refers to homeless vagrants. 2. From the book The City in Slang, New York Life and Popular Speech, by Irving Lewis Allen (1993): The New York police today call the most vagrant of the male homeless skels. William Safire informs us that "it is a shortening of skellum meaning a rascal or thief, akin to a skelder, 'to beg on the streets,' first us ed in print by Ben Jonson in 1599, just after the playwright got out of jail for killing a man in a duel; it is possible he picked up the word from cellmate's argot." The word popped up about 1935 in the short form skell, suggesting that skellum/skell had underground oral use for centuries. Skell is now in popular speech to denote the homeless that are so visible throughout the city.

Posted by: JohnJr

quote:
Originally posted by ourdoc
Sorry John.. you're going to have a hard time doing that:D

Just so you know, any computer that can access the CODIS or NCIC has to be a secure computer in a secure place where no prying eyes can view it. In other words, behind closed and locked doors... It can't even be in any place where it could accidentally be viewed by anyone other than Law Enforcement personnel. Part of the rules of access.. If you violate this, and they find out, your entire Department can lose access.. You also have to take a occasional test to even be an operator on a computer that can access the databases.. It is a very secure system with many checks and balances on every inquiry.

Cool, didn't know that ourdoc. From TV it makes it look like every dick and jane has access to it.

Makes me feel a bit better.

-John

Posted by: ourdoc

Our police dispatch, although deep within the basement of our main station, for many years was not locked. We asked for locks on the doors that lead to dispatch many times, but were always told there was no money. Then I fell upon all the laws regulating NCIC systems. Needless to say, a few days later, locks were installed.:D And yes, management hated me for that:D When dealing with law enforcement bosses, it helps to know the laws, and to know they don't know them all:D

Posted by: phone1

Cheese it, five-0's here!!! :eek:

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray