Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

What do you do when your nail gets pulled back...

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: AstroDad

and now its bleeding underneath? How do you stop it from bleeding?

Posted by: Corey140

Has the nail been pulled from your skin? If so, just put a band aid on it and let it heal over the next couple of weeks. If you split the nail down, try to cut as much as possible or just leave it and let it fall off itself but keep its covered because it will hurt when you touch anything.

neither, it got pulled back enough to rip the skin underneath, but is still intact, and blood is accumulating underneath and the water cannot get to it

Posted by: Corey140

The whole underneath of the nail is covered with blood or just half of it? It will eventually still have to clot so i don't think it will be a problem. When it happens to me, it can still quick through the cracked position of the nail but it would leave a dot behind for me. If the blood isn't flowing out, you might have to go the doctor to get it drained out.

Posted by: dthmj

Just go to the doctor, you're grossing me out now...

Posted by: Marco

If my experience is any guide, the nail will eventually die and fall off, and you'll be nailless until it grows back.
People with actual medical knowledge should feel free to chime in now. :)

Well, i went ahead and pulled it back again (insert immense pain here) let some water flow in and get most of the blood out. It seems to have stopped bleeding now, hopefully it will just heal and be done with it!

Sorry for grossing you out Tami :)

Posted by: dthmj

quote:
Originally posted by Marco
If my experience is any guide, the nail will eventually die and fall off, and you'll be nailless until it grows back.
People with actual medical knowledge should feel free to chime in now. :)

That's what happened when a can of tomatoes flew out of the pantry and hit my oldest on the toe nail... It fell off and grew back - slowly.

And she now has a fear of canned tomatoes.

Posted by: cnshough

I'd probably just cry like a little bitch for hours. :D I remember about 15 years ago my family and I went to Galveston, TX for vacation. It was the day before we were supposed to leave for home. We were loading up some of the things we weren't gonna need the next day, and I was returning to the condo. Our room was upstairs, and as I hit the top step, I literally hit the top step with my big toe. It curled my nail back and to this day it's still funny looking. I guess it'll never be right. It's all rough feeling.

Posted by: jfelbab

Wrap it around something cold. Like a cold bottle of Samuel Adams. Rinse and repeat until pain is gone. Periodic repeat treatments may be required over the course of several days.:D

Posted by: gregpr

What do you do when your nail gets pulled back?

You post pictures on the internet! :D

Posted by: TeddS

quote:
Originally posted by gregpr
What do you do when your nail gets pulled back?

You post pictures on the internet! :D

Grossout pictures of my finger:

Picture
Another angle

Slammed my finger in my apartment door and a piece that sticks out perpendicularly from the door (presumably to prevent jimmying of the door) chopped into my middle finger right at the nail bed. Popped the fingernail out from the bottom. Went to the hospital where they confirmed it was broken and stitched it back up, putting the original fingernail back on as a form of protection of the skin where the nail used to be.

Five years later and the nail still hasn't grown back completely. I have this weird two layer fingernail now, the bottom layer being only about half as firm as a regular fingernail and another nail slowly growing over that quasi-nail. I'd say it's about 75% grown back now.

Hopefully AstroDad's fingernail won't be any worse then perhaps a big purple spot which goes away as new nail grows in. Waiting for a damaged fingernail to grow back completely isn't fun. :(

--Tedd

Posted by: pokegol

When I peeled back my big toenail a few years ago in a garage accident, I just bandaged it back into place. After a few weeks, it fell off and I was surprised to find the beginnings of another toenail already growing underneath it. A few months later, it had grown out to look exactly like the nail that was there previously.

It's a fascinating process.

Posted by: DaveBogart

Say ouch.

Posted by: FUBAR

Are those stiches? if so why didn't you ask the doc who put them in what to do?

quote:
Originally posted by FUBAR
Are those stiches? if so why didn't you ask the doc who put them in what to do?

Are you asking me? If so, yes, those are stitches - I think I nearly chopped the tip of my finger off in that accident, frankly. And I saw a specialized hand surgeon for a while - he told me what to do, but I don't think there's much you can do to make a fingernail grow back, especially after damaging the nail bed as I did.

--Tedd

Posted by: gregpr

Ouch Tedd! :(

Posted by: FUBAR

quote:
Originally posted by TeddS
Are you asking me? If so, yes, those are stitches - I think I nearly chopped the tip of my finger off in that accident, frankly. And I saw a specialized hand surgeon for a while - he told me what to do, but I don't think there's much you can do to make a fingernail grow back, especially after damaging the nail bed as I did.

--Tedd

ooops... maybe i should pay attention to the user names when posting. =

Posted by: DancnDude

I jammed my thumb when I was little and the blood was collecting behind the nail. What we did was take a pin and heat it up with a flame. Then we touched the pin to the nail, and it basically pierced a hole and let all the stuff out. I can remember being scared, but when it actually happened, I couldn't feel the prick and then it started feeling better because the pressure was let up.

Posted by: LlamaLarry

quote:
Originally posted by cnshough
I'd probably just cry like a little bitch for hours. :D :::snip:::

LOL, when I was in college I was playing cards with some friends. After I slammed my winning hand down on the table (like a jackass in hindsight) I rolled my chair back onto all 4 legs. This was a chair heisted school but it was missing one of those little round feet and just had the rivet that would hold said foot on. That rivet drove right into my big toe, right on the nail bed.

I flaied around for a bit and while I was in the bathroom trying to clean up I definitely said "This hurts so f'in bad that I would cry if I thought it would help even a little". I don't think I have ever hurt myself quite that bad.

Nail lived fine albeit with a hole in. Now the nail is all rippled I guess the scar tissue under the nail disturbs the growth or something.

A buddy of mine dropped his kevlar helmet onto his bare big toe (the helmet was on top of his wall locker). His toe practically exploded and it was a terrible sight to see a Oklahoma lineman *howling* in pain and getting blood all over our nicely waxed floors. ;)

Posted by: sallypnut

AAAGHHH!

Just seeing this thread title was enough to make me shudder in horror. I resisted reading it until just now... Must...not...look...at...pics...

quote:
Originally posted by sallypnut
Must...not...look...at...pics...

The pics of my finger aren't really all that bad.... Are they? :confused:

--Tedd

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray