Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

Tivo Commercial?

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: Tangled Puppet

I was just thinking... has Tivo ever done a TV commercial?

I wouldn't know... I own a Tivo :p ...

Posted by: tfederov

Yeah, didn't they do one with Joe Montana and Jerry Rice a few years back?

Posted by: phone1

I can recall at least three, but none in the past couple of years.

Posted by: whoknows55

I see them for DirecTV receiver with TiVo all the time

Posted by: Rcrew

I think it was Montana and Lott. Wasn't it stored on our TiVos in showcases or something too?

But I notice DirecTV/TiVo commercials all the time. I even occasionally stop and go back to watch... those and all the Victoria Secrets commercials... :D

Posted by: Philosofy

Bring it on, porkchop!

Posted by: Rcrew

quote:
Originally posted by Philosofy
Bring it on, porkchop!

zoom... ------> rcrew... :confused:

Posted by: whoknows55

quote:
Originally posted by Philosofy
Bring it on, porkchop!

http://www.dragon-tails.com/comics/031118.jpg

Posted by: cwaring

Hiya y'all (Can't do and US accent and it doesn't sound the same with a British one :))

If anyone wants to view the Tivo Commercials - including the totally lame UK one - I've put them online here. (QuickTime 6 required)

(Note for Searchers)
If you're reading this in six months time, I cannot guarantee that the files will still be available :)

Posted by: maharg18

quote:
Originally posted by cwaring
including the totally lame UK one

Boy, you aren't kidding! It's a good thing there is only 1 of them!

quote:
Bring it on, porkchop!

You doing it with your left hand again?

quote:
If anyone wants to view the Tivo Commercials - including the totally lame UK one - I've put them online here.

Neat! Thanks...

Posted by: DPF

I totally forgot about the Santa ad. God I remember that one, it was great.

"I'm comin' for you, Pork Chop!"

"Bring it on, Fat Boy!"

Classic. Damn, now that the popularity seems to be kicking up with all the expoure on TV shows and whatnot TiVo ought to run a couple of these again. The educational one always cracked me up too. I didn't see the one where the guy went to church to pray for the soccer goal on your site. I didn't realise they made so many commercials. I thought maybe two or three, not 7.

-DPF

Posted by: HTH

I have a lot of them captured on my computer. One I still don't have is the one with the nudist, which had a TiVoma^W Ipreview icon for TiVo Takes.

"I don't want a puppy, I want the tiger."

"People hurting TVs. TVs hurting people."

Posted by: Philosofy

quote:
Originally posted by DPF
I totally forgot about the Santa ad. God I remember that one, it was great.

"I'm comin' for you, Pork Chop!"

"Bring it on, Fat Boy!"

Classic. Damn, now that the popularity seems to be kicking up with all the expoure on TV shows and whatnot TiVo ought to run a couple of these again. The educational one always cracked me up too. I didn't see the one where the guy went to church to pray for the soccer goal on your site. I didn't realise they made so many commercials. I thought maybe two or three, not 7.

-DPF

THANK YOU!!! I was afraid no one would get it! It was a TiVo ad with Santa and some elves, playing football, I think.

And here I thought you were quoting Don Hertzefeldt when he was drawing his with left hand ;)

quote:
Originally posted by HTH
I have a lot of them captured on my computer.

If you have any I don't, feel free to pass them along. I have broadband so can download from FTP any time :)

quote:
Originally posted by maharg18
Boy, you aren't kidding! It's a good thing there is only 1 of them!

Yep! It's no wonder that the vastly inferior Sky+ system (UK equivalent of DirecTivo, I think) is more widely known about, with way more subscribers when Tivo had such a lame ad campaign as that :rolleyes: It would have been way cheaper, and much better, to simply re-voice the US "TV Execs" ad which, incidently, has got to be my favourite ad. I damned near wet myself the first time I saw it :p

Posted by: futerfas

Thank you!!! I loved those commetials, my favorite is the won with Joe Montana :)

Posted by: kitsap

quote:
If anyone wants to view the Tivo Commercials - including the totally lame UK one - I've put them online here. (QuickTime 6 required)
Wow, thanks! In the "Educational TV" spot, it appears that Dad is worried about Tivo making his son gay ... which ties in well with other Tivo lore!

quote:
If you have any I don't, feel free to pass them along. I have broadband so can download from FTP any time :)
Yes. Yes I do. It'll take some time to convert them though. Right now they are in raw DV. IIRC, my whole collection fits on either one or two CDs. I'm not there right now.

I also have the All About TiVo infomercial and the 60 Minutes "Smart TV" story (not available for purchase from CBS) in DVD-compliant MPEG-2, but they're both monaural.

Posted by: tomo_kun

quote:
including the totally lame UK one
Now we know why TiVo didnt do so well in the UK, other then SKY+, Now do we?

EDIT: this is geeky, but, what units are they using in the comericails, it looks like one of them is the DirecTV HD TiVo unit from CES, one looks like the dsr 6k, and one looks like the Hughes one.

Posted by: ccwf

I recall that Pace's on-line promo at its site for its technology in Sky+ boxes closes with the tagline IT EVEN PAUSES LIVE TV or something like that (sorry, don't feel like sitting through the whole thing again just to get the exact wording).

Posted by: Robert S

Sky+ is the equivalent of a DirecTiVo in that it's a PVR that records directly from a digital satellite. It is not a TiVo product, which is why it's vastly inferior.

The (very short) TiVo campaign focussed on its ability to pause Live TV. The Sky+ launch campaign focussed on its ability to record one thing while you watch another (dual recording is not possible with the current software). This has now switched to the PVR function with the tag "create your own TV channel".

Posted by: kenerups

quote:
Originally posted by Tangled Puppet
And here I thought you were quoting Don Hertzefeldt when he was drawing his with left hand ;)

My spoon is to big.
My SPOON is to BIG.
My Spoon is to big!

I.......Am a banana!

quote:
Originally posted by HTH
Yes. Yes I do. It'll take some time to convert them though. Right now they are in raw DV. IIRC, my whole collection fits on either one or two CDs. I'm not there right now.

I also have the All About TiVo infomercial and the 60 Minutes "Smart TV" story (not available for purchase from CBS) in DVD-compliant MPEG-2, but they're both monaural.

I'll take the lot :D

quote:
Originally posted by futerfas
..my favorite is the won with Joe Montana :)

That don't mean squat to me. Never heard of him. I assume he's some sort of celebrity over there. What about the other people in them?

Posted by: pahunt

Wasn't he a quarterback for an NFL team?

Yeah, its the one with the two guys golfing.

There were two versions of the Itch Stopper Plus commercials. One has Joe leaning in to apply, the other has Ronnie looking down apprehensively. I have both, I haven't checked yet which you have.

I've located three you don't have so far, which I've titled "Joys of Parenting" which has children throwing tantrums before TiVo, "People Hurting TVs" set in an emergency room, and "The Sopranos" where the husband returns home and the wife is filling him on the details of the episode of The Sopranos of which he'd missed the start. Also, a brief bit from Sci-Fi Channel of "The following product and/or service has been approved for your use" and showing the TiVo logo.

I know I have more, but it'll take some digging. I know I have the family cramming food in their faces to finish dinner in time to catch a season premiere. a guy watching football and not noticing the phones and pagers going off and being reminded that his wife is expecting any day now, and I'm pretty sure I have the Philips commercial where the guy pauses the game on a kick, rushes to a church and prays, comes back, and the kick is good.

Some I may need to recapture. I have a lot of old Teleworld Paid Programmings marked KUID I can go through.

Oh, and I have the outtakes from the Itch Stopper Plus bit as well.

quote:
Originally posted by HTH
Oh, and I have the outtakes from the Itch Stopper Plus bit as well.
Didn't they have that as a yellow star on tivo a while ago.

quote:
Originally posted by futerfas
Didn't they have that as a yellow star on tivo a while ago.
Yup. I captured it.

quote:
Originally posted by HTH
There were two versions of the Itch Stopper Plus commercials. One has Joe leaning in to apply, the other has Ronnie looking down apprehensively. I have both, I haven't checked yet which you have.

The former. As I said, anything you have would be appreciated.

quote:
I.......Am a banana!

This is me for halloween: https://pyramidnutrition.com/pics/Banana.jpg

Posted by: MighTiVo

A couple more I seem to remember
Family eating dinner in a hurry to watch TV
Football game paused to pray for a goal or something like that.

quote:
The former. As I said, anything you have would be appreciated.
Yeah, I finally got a chance to look at them over the weekend. All sourced from AdCritic.com I see. I have better resolution, so I should send them all, but the audio isn't as sweetened as theirs. You may want to remix.

We should take this to PMs to work out the details.

quote:
Originally posted by HTH
You may want to remix.

I would if I knew how :)

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray