Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

Can you move Tivo from one tv to another?

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: juvi77

I've been reading tons of messages here on the board and I am pretty much sold on getting a Series 2 80 hour Standalone unit. I have one concern though that maybe you fine peoiple here can help me with.

I plan on hooking the Tivo up to the tv in my bedroom which has regular analog cable using a vcr as the tuner. Once a month I have friends over to watch sports on pay per view on the big screen tv that is in another part of the house . Obviously the big screen tv does have a cable box attached to it. It is also analog cable and it is the only cable box we have in the house. Is it possibe that once a month I can unhook the Tivo from my bedroom and move it upstairs to the big tv so that it can record the pay per view from the cable box?

From other messages it sounds like this will be possible but I just wanted to confirm before buying. I don't want to just leave the Tivo on the big screen tv with the cable box because I have roommates and the Tivo recording my shows will interfere with other people in the house viewing the big screen tv. I just want to know if its going to be a huge headache to switch the Tivo from one tv set to another on occaision.

Posted by: Fustanella

Doesn't sound like it'd be an issue, other than the change of channels which occurs between the two locations. You'll have to enable those which are available through the cable-box in "Channels I Receive," and either disable them when it's normally in your less-fed bedroom or expect the occasional recording attempt on a channel you don't get there.

Yeah the only difference in channels between the two would be HBO would be available and the pay per view channel would be available when I order it. As long as I'm not in for any huge headaches when I make the switch to record once a month on the other set than I'm sold.

Posted by: tomlouie

Shouldn't be a problem.

Who knows, you may like TiVo so much that you may get yourself a second TiVo and HMO for both units, so that you can watch shows from either TiVo from either TiVo.

:)

Tom

Posted by: Dajad

I agree that it won't be a problem, you could leave your channel settings the same in both locations ... the only downside to that is that it may try to record some HBO "Suggestions" in the living room and you'll wind up with screen of fuzz recorded in your Suggestions.

You'll of course need to go through the options screen to change the settings that pertain to the type of TV, setting up the IR Blaster etc. But once you've done it once or twice the time to change the settings shouldn't be more than a few minutes.

Welcome to TiVo

...Dale

Posted by: JTAnderson

Always unplug it before you move it.

Posted by: OLdDog

Actually, I believe you would have to rerun guided setup each time you move the TiVo as you wou;d be changing from "Cable without a box" to "Cable with a box".

It is during guided setup that the existance of a box is selected. Without a box uses TiVo's internal tuner. With a box uses the box's tuner and IR or serial in a few cases. Either way the selection is made during guided setup.

Posted by: phone1

To get cable box functionality, you'll have to redo guided setup each time you move it. I'm also betting your box has some 3 digit channel numbers. In any case, switching from the internal tuner to cable with box will require it.

If this is a one shot recording, the alternative is to simply connect the RF output of the box to TiVo and tune the cable box manually to the channel you want, then set up a manual recording on TiVo. The banner will also be wrong.

Posted by: timckelley

I wonder if there's a way to keep from moving it... to always keep it in your bedroom. You'd need to have a way on those pay-per-view days for the TiVo in your bedroom to access the cable box from another room. You'd need to run a cable from the output of the cable box to your bedroom, and from there you could have an A/B switch (a few dollars at Radio Shack) to switch which input goes to the TiVo. (i.e. output of cable box vs. output of bedroom VCR). Next, when it comes time to throw the switch on those pay-per-view days, you could go to guided setup on the TiVo to tell it you have a cable box. Next, you need a way to control the TiVo from upstairs by your big screen TV. To do that, you could buy a remote extender from Radio Shack. This converts the IR waves to radio waves back to IR, so that your TiVo remote will work even if you're in a different part of the house.

I like this setup better, because you don't have to worry about moving your fragile TiVo and possibly damaging it.

Thanks for all the quick replies! Since a few of you think I'll have to rerun the guided set up each time i switch tv sets can you tell me how long on average it takes to run the guided set up? If its a few minutes thats perfectly fine since I'll only be needing to make this switch once a month or so.

Also this just occured to me. When i connect the Tivo to the set with the Cable box will i have to connect it to the phone jack also? Does it need to make a new call out to get all the guide info again or will that still be on the Tivo since its only going to be disconnected for a couple minutes while i move it from one room to the other.

Posted by: timckelley

quote:
Originally posted by phone1
If this is a one shot recording, the alternative is to simply connect the RF output of the box to TiVo and tune the cable box manually to the channel you want, then set up a manual recording on TiVo. The banner will also be wrong.

This is a good idea. If you're availiable to be there during the HBO or pay-per-view show, and can manually set the channel on the cable box, then you don't have to worry about redoing guided setup. If you choose my idea, you could (just before the show starts) flip the A/B switch to point to the cable box, and manually tune the cable box to HBO or pay-per-view. The scheduled recording on TiVo would need to be probably like phone1 said, a manual recording to take place on channel 3 (or whatever your cable box tunes the output to) at time X for Y hours/minutes. When your show's over, flip the A/B switch back again, and you're done.

quote:
Originally posted by timckelley
I wonder if there's a way to keep from moving it... to always keep it in your bedroom. You'd need to have a way on those pay-per-view days for the TiVo in your bedroom to access the cable box from another room. You'd need to run a cable from the output of the cable box to your bedroom, and from there you could have an A/B switch (a few dollars at Radio Shack) to switch which input goes to the TiVo. (i.e. output of cable box vs. output of bedroom VCR). Next, when it comes time to throw the switch on those pay-per-view days, you could go to guided setup on the TiVo to tell it you have a cable box. Next, you need a way to control the TiVo from upstairs by your big screen TV. To do that, you could buy a remote extender from Radio Shack. This converts the IR waves to radio waves back to IR, so that your TiVo remote will work even if you're in a different part of the house.

I like this setup better, because you don't have to worry about moving your fragile TiVo and possibly damaging it.

This setup would be really involved for me to pull off. Unfortunately my bedrrom and the room with big screen are on opposite floors AND opposite sides of a pretty big house. Moving the Tivo itself seems alot less involved to me!

Also for the person who mentioned me having to worry about 3 digit channels on the cable box that won't be an issue. The only difference in the channel line up between the two locations will be that on the big screen with the cable box I can receive HBO and the 2 Pay Per View channels. They both have analog cable. I'm not planning on switching to digital anytime soon. I'm just worried about the Tivo being able to record the pay per view with the addition of the cable box that isn't normally in the setup in my bedroom.

quote:
Originally posted by timckelley
This is a good idea. If you're availiable to be there during the HBO or pay-per-view show, and can manually set the channel on the cable box, then you don't have to worry about redoing guided setup. If you choose my idea, you could (just before the show starts) flip the A/B switch to point to the cable box, and manually tune the cable box to HBO or pay-per-view. The scheduled recording on TiVo would need to be probably like phone1 said, a manual recording to take place on channel 3 (or whatever your cable box tunes the output to) at time X for Y hours/minutes. When your show's over, flip the A/B switch back again, and you're done.

Okay this is sounding MUCH better! I'm definitely going to be there when these pay per views happen since I have people over to watch them. Putting the cable box on the proper channel is not a problem. And manually telling the Tivo to start and stop recording is not a problem either. I'm just concerned about any issues that may arise from switching the Tivo from the one location to the other. That way I'll leave enough time once a month to disconnect and reconnect everything so i can record the show to the Tivo. I'll be watching the show live as it happens I just want to record the pay per view on the Tivo to go back and look at again later.

Posted by: Dajad

I didn't think you have to go through guided set-up to change your input type. But I haven't done this in a year so I'm not 100%

But, if you ARE going to be there, then Tim's suggestion is the easiest no-brainer way of pulling this off.

Hey, will you invight us all over so we can watch the big game with you?

:) ...Dale

Posted by: phone1

Why not just buy two TiVos and not worry about it? :)

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray