Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

Caller-ID

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: Kapeman

I can't believe that no one has suggested on screen caller-id.

I am in the process of dumping Dish and moving to DTV. This is one of the things the E* pvrs get right.

It is one of those features that you don't truly appreciate until you have it. Much like our experience w/ dvr (pvr, tivo, whatever).

I have heard all the comebacks (cordless phone, caller id box, get up out of the chair, etc) and none of them are even close to a viable alternative.

This feature is on all the other receivers and can be (relatively) easily added to the series 1 receivers (which proves that it can be done). So why is it not emplemented on the series2 tivos?

Now I have to go get a tv messenger on ebay....

P.S. Did I use enough parentheses in this post? ;)

Posted by: maharg18

Caller ID has been suggested many, many, many, many (did I say many?) times. We all agree it would be very nice to have, but for some reason Tivo has decided to focus their work elsewhere.

I figured it had but didn't see it in the stickied notes.

Posted by: dlowings

Its doable with yack but you have to run some mods to the tivo, most people would not want to do this, but the finnished product is tivo with caller ID. I was thinking maybe Tivo was holding it back for a tivo advanced option that they could market for a few extra bucks.

Posted by: newyorkpug

It would be a great feature for those of us who leave the cordless in the other room or can't hear the phone ring for various reasons. It would even work for those of us who have their TiVos on broadband. Make use of that modem!

-Josh

Posted by: TonyD79

Eh, low priority.

My TV is my TV; my phone is my phone; my toaster is my toaster.

Many "convergences" I just don't get. This is one.

Might as well ask for TiVo to tell me when I have email on my Blackberry or to remind me of a Doctor's appointment or warn me that my bank balance is getting low.

Posted by: lvirden

TonyD79 writes:
> Might as well ask for TiVo to [...] remind me of a Doctor's appointment

That's actually a great idea - if it could connect to a PIM, that would be wonderful.

An set of options for family members to drop in appointments, and have those, along with the tivo expected recordings, be synced against some general calendar - especially if I could also sync that calendar against
my Palm, would let the family keep me up to date, and me them up to date...

Wow - now that's got some real potential!

quote:
Originally posted by TonyD79

Many "convergences" I just don't get. This is one.

You obviously have never used this feature. It is one of those things that may or may not sound that great, but once you have it you want to keep it.

The phone rings and you see who it is without any interruption. You don't have to get up to check the caller id box or find the cordless.
It's very nice.

Also an extension of your argument could be used to say "why do I need a remote?".

Posted by: joejar

I have caller ID on my dish TIVO...510....I dont wantit so I disabled it and use caller ID on my puter......

I don't have a computer which can provide caller id - and even if it could, it is clear across the room
from where I sit watching tv - it would be of little help to those watching tv.

Posted by: cbordman

there is a little box called Caller TV which you can hook up to your TIVO outputs, and it will display the caller ID info. Works very well.

Posted by: Zathrus

Since nobody's mentioned it yet -- caller id is not possible on any of the current TiVo units. Yes, the modem chipset supports it but the lines were not run on the board to enable the function. You'd have to swap out the motherboard of the unit in order to add the necessary hardware support. This isn't a software thing. The aforementioned hack actually uses a modem w/ caller id support on a computer and remotely displays the caller id info on TiVo. Rather convoluted.

Caller id would be nice (as long as you could turn it off), but it's not going to happen with any of the existing hardware.

Posted by: maharg18

You're right about standalone units, but Directivos do indeed have caller-id capability.. I've seen it with my own 2 eyes on my old DSR6000!

Posted by: dgstivo

Another option I've not seen mentioned here - talking caller ID. There's a couple of different boxes out there and it's also on some newer Panasonic phones. It's really great to be able to hear a number or name announced from one or two rooms away rather than look for a display somewhere when you hear the phone ring.

Posted by: phone1

quote:
Originally posted by maharg18
You're right about standalone units, but Directivos do indeed have caller-id capability.. I've seen it with my own 2 eyes on my old DSR6000!
AFAIK, it only works on S1 DTiVos. Although some have suggested using an external modem might make it work on any of them, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it.

All the external TV/CLID boxes I've seen have only an AV pass through not S-Video. I'd be a little concerned abot the impact on image quality.

Posted by: ccwf

For Series2, if you have a program on a computer that displays Caller ID info, then you should be able to view that using JavaHMO.

Posted by: Zathrus

quote:
For Series2, if you have a program on a computer that displays Caller ID info, then you should be able to view that using JavaHMO.

That wouldn't be very useful for seeing who's calling at the time the phone rang. You could certainly hack it up, but you'd then have to go to HMO, to the right folder, to the proper picture. By that time the answering machine has probably picked up!

Posted by: TonyD79

quote:
Originally posted by Kapeman
You obviously have never used this feature. It is one of those things that may or may not sound that great, but once you have it you want to keep it.

The phone rings and you see who it is without any interruption. You don't have to get up to check the caller id box or find the cordless.
It's very nice.

Also an extension of your argument could be used to say "why do I need a remote?".

Still don't get it. Why not just get a big caller id box? They make them. (BTW, I keep my phone near my TV viewing area and the caller ID is on the handset, so I don't rely on a TV-watching device to handle my phone issues).

And, your analogy is waaaay off on my argument. The remote handles the TV. You are asking for something that is not TV related on your TV.

Don't forget to have the washing machine tell your TiVo it is done with the wash while you are at it.

Posted by: cbordman

do you have any links to big caller ID boxes?

When the phone rings in my house, i have no intentions of answering it. It's nice to have the name/number pop up on the TV so i know to ignore the answering machine.

If you want to get a good deal on the TV Messenger. Try Ebay. It retails for $79 without remote and $129 with remote.

I got mine from Ebay (with remote) for $26!!!

You also may want to check out the units that have S-video connections or just get S-video to RCA adapters. Just google it.

I just did a google for "TV Messenger" on google and one of the ads that google inserted before
the hits was a sale on the TV Messenger item - normally $129, for $39.95!

Looks neat!

Posted by: ElVee

quote:
Originally posted by lvirden
I just did a google for "TV Messenger" on google and one of the ads that google inserted before

Looks neat!

I've had TV Messanger and TV Messanger Plus for a few years now (see my configuration in my sig) and love them.

I've added the remote commands to my MX-500.

By the way, now that the TiVo's are networked, I doubt they're going to consider adding caller-id to a box that does not require a phone line.

Posted by: classicsat

quote:
Originally posted by Zathrus
Since nobody's mentioned it yet -- caller id is not possible on any of the current TiVo units. Yes, the modem chipset supports it but the lines were not run on the board to enable the function. You'd have to swap out the motherboard of the unit in order to add the necessary hardware support. This isn't a software thing. The aforementioned hack actually uses a modem w/ caller id support on a computer and remotely displays the caller id info on TiVo. Rather convoluted.

Caller id would be nice (as long as you could turn it off), but it's not going to happen with any of the existing hardware.

IMO, it probaly wouldn't be too hard to attach the appropriate electronic components (on my PC modems I, think it may be as little as a resistor and capacitor.) Yes, there is software as well to deal with.

For external on-screen CID boxes:
You could also encode it to show on CC (but would take a bit of power to do
that I think).

Posted by: ThatGuyPSU

quote:
Originally posted by cbordman
there is a little box called Caller TV which you can hook up to your TIVO outputs, and it will display the caller ID info. Works very well.

And it's yours for the LOW LOW price of $94.95.

Can you say, "rip off?"

Posted by: ThatGuyPSU

quote:
Originally posted by lvirden

Looks neat!

Web site?

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray