Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

HDCP-compliant DVI inputs?

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: oturn

Ok, so I want to make sure my new HDTV comes with HDCP-compliant DVI inputs, so I can use the HDMI connector on the DirecTiVo. Fine. I've got this nice, shiny Mitsubishi 2004 Diamond Product Catalog in front of me, and for the life of me I don't see any mention of the DVI inputs being HDCP compliant. What response do you think I'll get if I call my local dealer with this question? How can I verify that the DVI inputs on *any* HDTV that I purchase are HDCP compliant?

Posted by: llogan

I was told that the Mits 2003 models were not compliant, unsure about 2004. Your best bet at determining HDCP compliance of any television is to ask the question over in www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ My information was from a Mits sales rep so no guaranteeing that it was correct, sorry if I was wrong about the 2003 models.

As your television is a Rear Projection model, you'll want to post your question in this forum

Posted by: silversurfer

quote:
I know the Mits 2003 models were not compliant, unsure about 2004. Your best bet at determining HDCP compliance of any television is to ask the question over in www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

This is incorrect. I recently purchased a 2003 WS-65413 and page 67 of the owner's manual states the DVI Input is HDCP Compliant.

I think I understand some of the confusion now. Your model TV is in the 2003-2004 product set, I was referring to the 2002-2003 product set. Mitsubishi doesn't refer to their product lines as either 2003 or 2004 but rather as above. Sorry for any confusion. Anyway, going over to avsforum is your best bet at getting an answer to your question, though I had been told that the 2004 (now understood to be 2003-2004) line would be HDCP compliant.

Posted by: Starrbuck

quote:
Originally posted by silversurfer
This is incorrect. I recently purchased a 2003 WS-65413 and page 67 of the owner's manual states the DVI Input is HDCP Compliant.

Right. I have a 55413 and there are several places in the documentation where it lists the DVI port is HDCP compatible.

Posted by: talkdj

quote:
Originally posted by Starrbuck
Right. I have a 55413 and there are several places in the documentation where it lists the DVI port is HDCP compatible.

Are we really going to see a big difference between the DVI input and a component input. Yes I know the DVI is "digital", but will we really see a big difference?

I can't tell you first-hand as I have not seen DVI or HDCP.

Here's a pretty good explanation of HDCP I've found:

http://www.reed-electronics.com/edn...d=0&rme=0&cfd=1

Many sites have discussion boards. Do searches for "DVI vs. component" and you'll have some reading to do. :-)

Nice link on the HDCP Starrbuck...

On Component vs. DVI...the responses to this question run far and wide. Basically it depends...

it depends on objective factors such as television used, processing chip, cable quality, etc., the fact that with DVI you're not converting from digital to analog (and if you have a digital display it'll have to convert it back again from analog to digital)

and on subjective factors: it looks better to 'me'

If I were to evaluate component vs. DVI on the basis of which most reliably produces a good picture, I'd probably go with DVI because cable quality is really not much of a factor at all since it's a digital transmission medium. Component on the other hand can vary widely in PQ viewed as the quality of component cables definitely factors into PQ viewed.

On that basis alone, I'd say DVI is a safer bet from a PQ, does this mean that people should only buy DVI and not component? Absolutely not. Good or better PQ can be had with component under the right conditions and component is more widely found among devices at the moment (receivers, DVD players, displays, etc.) and is less expensive to support in one's setup. And as a practical matter, interoperability of a device with a lot more equipment would trump a marginal increase in PQ.

Bottom line: it depends upon your setup and your perception of which is better given your equipment. Don't accept anyone's absolute recommendation that one is better than the other, just trust your own opinion.

Here's one thread from the avsforum

quote:
Originally posted by llogan
Nice link on the HDCP Starrbuck...

Thank Google!

I agree with everything you said in your previous message. If DVI or HDCP is available, it's better for many reasons, but its availability is certainly no reason not to use component. If the HD TiVo didn't have HDCP, I would still buy it. :-)

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray