Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

Wireless and Firewalls

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: tivoforjohn

Hi, anyone know what Firewall ports to open up to make the wireless connection work on a firewalled home network?

I have the wireless adapter all configured and it finds the wireless home network fine, and I can ping the wireless adapter from any PC on my home network, but the connection to Tivo fails. I talked to tech support and they said to remove the firewall - which is silly.

Thanks for your help!!!

Posted by: pcjackson

Well, indeed your firewall should allow access to all ports, outbound. It would be "silly" if it did not. What type of router are you using?

Cheers,
Phillip

Posted by: tivoforjohn

What type of Router doesn't matter. Someone should know what ports this thing uses - the folks at Tivo certainly don't.

If you leave all outbound ports open on a firewall, you can be used as a host for certain types of attacks if any system on your network becomes compromised.

Posted by: Dmtalon

If I get time (and remember) I'll force a call while watching my logs and see if I can tell what port it's trying to go out on.

Posted by: TiVoBill

This thread would be a good place to start.

If you are using Home Media Option, there is also an article on our support site that should help:

What Network Ports Do I Need Open When Using My TiVo DVR?

Posted by: headroll

quote:
Originally posted by tivoforjohn
What type of Router doesn't matter. Someone should know what ports this thing uses - the folks at Tivo certainly don't.

Based on TiVoBill's response it seems that the folks at TiVo (or at least some of them) do know.

TiVoOpsMgr ... did the CS rep fail to find this in their script or is it really information not available via phone support?

-Roll

Posted by: TiVoBill

quote:
Originally posted by headroll
Based on TiVoBill's response it seems that the folks at TiVo (or at least some of them) do know.

TiVoOpsMgr ... did the CS rep fail to find this in their script or is it really information not available via phone support?

-Roll

I will answer this since one of my projects is maintaining the Knowledebase used by our call centers. The only information about firewalls in our internal Knowledebase is the article I linked to above, which deals with PC or Mac based firewalls.

Port 80 is used by web browsers to communicate with web servers so it is almost never blocked on hardware or software based firewalls.

Posted by: mikev

I think the original question here was what outgoing ports are used by the TiVo for internet updates and the like, not what ports are used for HMO communication within the local network.

Some people have firewalls set up to only allow certain outgoing ports, to prevent unauthorized outgoing connections (such as those used by so many trojans/worms these days), so they just want to make sure they have all outgoing ports allowed, so there are no issues as far as the TiVo getting updates.

The first link Bill gave answers this pretty well, I think -

80 TCP
8080 TCP
and either 37 TCP/UDP (time) or 123 UDP (ntp). I'm sure ntp is preferred, but time is probably a fallback should ntp be blocked or time out.

I'm sure the first two are only really needed for the updates, though. The time ports are to make sure the clock stays correct.

- Mike

Posted by: Joey P

quote:
Originally posted by Dmtalon
If I get time (and remember) I'll force a call while watching my logs and see if I can tell what port it's trying to go out on.

It's ALWAYS ALWAYS helpful to know what kind of equipment one has in order to help.

Posted by: pcjackson

As Joey P stated, it is important to know the manufacturer of the router, as in certain cases, there are different approaches to handling this issue (preconfigured firewall maps, default firewall settings, etc).

Regarding what ports are open, I read your initial post incorrectly, and responded as if you didn't have *capacity* to adjust the outbound ports.

Indeed, from my research, you should open, for internal outbound access, 8080,80,37(TCP/UDP),123(UDP)... 80 / 8080 are for www, 37 for time and 123 for NTP which Tivo uses to set its clock.

Posted by: arjay

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill
I will answer this since one of my projects is maintaining the Knowledebase used by our call centers. The only information about firewalls in our internal Knowledebase is the article I linked to above, which deals with PC or Mac based firewalls.

Port 80 is used by web browsers to communicate with web servers so it is almost never blocked on hardware or software based firewalls.

Tivo's Help Center is apparently a far better resource than TiVo Inc. is, at least as far as the firewall issue is concerned.

I bought a Pioneer TiVo DVR810HS DVD recorder last October, primarily because of its ability to use a DSL connection to download the TiVo Basic program guide. (There are no local toll-free dial-up numbers available.) But the router's firewall was a problem.

I called Pioneer's CS and was basically told that they didn't know a thing and it wasn't Pioneer's problem and I should take down the firewall. I then called TiVo, and was told that they don't do CS for Pioneer or Toshiba TiVo products. I asked if they had a solution for getting through a firewall for TiVo's regular Series2 recorders. They said they did not.

I called Pioneer back (several times) and asked if they could follow up with TiVo on the firewall problem, and even got an email from a TiVo rep. asking for followup info. The only info I got out of all this was that TCP port 80 had to be open.

For awhile I just didn't let the Tivo call in for several months. Since the TiVo Plus free trial had been in effect I effectively traded TiVo's EPG for an ongoing ability to select between the Pioneer's tuner and regular line input while using the cable's EPG for program info. Pioneer advertises two line inputs but the usual one is inoperative without TiVo Plus while the other uses a clunky manual proceedure.

But I kept searching for a firewall answer. Finally a couple of weeks ago I stumbled across this and the related threads and voila, the problem was instantly solved!

TiVo's Basic EPG is fine and I use channel 3 as a convenient compromise "line input" now that the EPG data comes by DSL. But it should have been easy from the start!

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray