Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

Why hack Tivo?

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: scheinz

I am new to the foum. I followed directions and replaced my directv tivo with two 160 gig hardrives. It works great. I got so excited that I started looking through the tivo hacks to see if there was any neat stuff to do with my second tivo. I looked at networking and searched the forum and I could not find any information on what you can do with networking tivo. Is there a guide to why hack Tivo to see what is available?

Posted by: TivoGeezer

Here are some of the things I do with it. There are more which can be found in the "Underground" forum and on other websites easily found by searching.

1. Provide dual input processing for Cable and Cable w/ Box.
2. Create a daily email listing of coming conflicts, recordings, and expiring shows.
3. Schedule recordings over the web.
4. View lists of deleted shows and undelete them.
5. Get information on space used and free and the health of the disk drives.
6. "Soft" padding.
7. Other desirable functions which cannot be discussed in this forum.

Posted by: cachecard_user

there are really two snide answers:

1) why not
2a) because you can
2b) because it is there

Posted by: cojonesdetoro

quote:
Originally posted by TivoGeezer

7. Other desirable functions which cannot be discussed in this forum.

And #7 can be expanded into at least five more list items.

Here's a few others than CAN be discussed here:

Queue a list of recordings to play in order for archival to a DVD recorder*

List the local weather, with maps and 5 day forcasts on my Tivo screen

Edit out commercials with chunkedit.tcl (haven't quite gotten it working yet but I will in time)

Impress my friends (actually they're not all that impressed and just think I'm a geek)

* I believe that analog transfers are not considered subversive on this forum.

Posted by: Jonathan_S

Improve performance (Cachecard for Series 1)

Add additional padding options; more settings, negative padding.

Posted by: Foos

quote:
Originally posted by cojonesdetoro
Queue a list of recordings to play in order for archival to a DVD recorder*

Really? How do you do this? I've never seen it... already got a CacheCard, so getting into the DTiVo via bash isn't a problem.

Posted by: cojonesdetoro

look for merge.tcl

Batch Play:
This thread seems to have some info.

Posted by: scheinz

Where can I get information on dual input to work satalite and cable on a directv tivo?

quote:
Originally posted by scheinzWhere can I get information on dual input to work satalite and cable on a directv tivo?
You can't record cable on a directv tivo. The original poster has a standalone tivo, the SVR2000.

Posted by: Foos

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan_S
Batch Play:
This thread seems to have some info.

Excellent. Thanks.

I've actually used TiVoWeb in a "critical" situation. Ie, I would not have gotten the recording had I not had TiVoWeb running. Found out Tim Howard (American GK for Manchester United) was going to be on Cold Pizza, but I was already at work, and the wife was asleep. Fired up the web browser, went in and scheduled the recording, and left a message in the mailbox for my wife not to stop the recording since Howard was going to be on.

It's also kinda nice to be able to check the hard drive's SMART status.

Posted by: mattack

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan_S
Improve performance (Cachecard for Series 1)

Add additional padding options; more settings, negative padding.

Negative padding? Where? And if I can mount the Tivo drive on Mac OS X, I presume I can do the hacks there? (There's a filesystem project on sourceforge)

..and can the negative padding be optional? i.e. only do negative padding if there's nothing else scheduled to record beforehand? I doubt it, but this for example would allow padding on Letterman (since it ends around a minute or two after the official schedule) but still get the whole Kilborn show when Letterman's in reruns.. (I only skim through Kilborn's show and don't watch the monologue, but this is the best example I could think of..)

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray