Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

Resurrecting TCD140060 Series 2 Unit ?

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: lajohn27

I have a TIVO TCD 140060 Series 2 Unit that is well... dead.

You plug it in.. the green light lights on the front panel, the drives whir (but don't 'spin up' in the traditional sense - they dont' sound like they are being accessed.. and the fan works.

But no video. I'm kinda making a list of stuff to check.. Pushing a button on the remote control does cause the green LED to pulse at boot. The ribbon cable from the motherboard to power supply is firmly seated as is the cable to the front panel remote/LED assembly.

I've tried a separate drive and tested the original drive in another unit and it checks ok.

That leaves :

IDE Cable

HD Power cable

to try swapping out.. anybody else have any bright ideas?

John

Posted by: Piggers

Have you modified it at all? If so what have you done to it?

This unit is unmodified.

I did restore the HD image from a known good backup just in case that may have been part of the problem... and as I said, I tried a separate 'known good' drive to determine the HD wasn't part of the problem.

No hack, no monte, no sleeper etc.

J

Ok.. so I replaced the power supply on the unit and it's now booting reliably...but now, I guess in an effort to make up for all the 'missed' boots, booting is all it wants to do.... ;)

Seriously, it is now rebooting randomly..

For example, it won't complete guided setup before it reboots into GSOD, then reboots back to Guided Setup start again.

Going to replace the hard drive tonight and see if that makes any difference.

John

Posted by: Piggers

What do you do on the GSOD. Do you let it sit or do you just reboot it again? Try letting it sit until it reboots itself. I had the GSOD come up after I unplugged it and did not do the proper shutdown. After I let the GSOD sit it fixed itself.

quote:
Originally posted by Piggers
What do you do on the GSOD. Do you let it sit or do you just reboot it again? Try letting it sit until it reboots itself. I had the GSOD come up after I unplugged it and did not do the proper shutdown. After I let the GSOD sit it fixed itself.

Sorry, I wasn't being clear I guess..

The unit boots up and loads guided setup.. partway through guided setup, it reboots to GSOD.. several minutes later that completes and it reboots to guided setup again..

If I start Guided Setup again, part way through (never at the same spot) it reboots randomly.. and does a GSOD... clears the GSOD and reboots the start of Guided Setup again.

The unit is acting very strangely. It's either hard drive or power supply related.. but since I just replaced the power supply.. I'm betting that leaves the HD.

John

Reimaged the HD after adding the new power supply and voila - it works!

John

Posted by: nrobertson

I also have a Series2 model# 140060 that is dead. Same issue that appears to be reported here. I'd like to replace the power supply but can't find where to get it.

Where do you get a replacement power supply ?????

Thanks!
Nate

I had a unit I had purchased for parts.. it so happened the power supply was good in the parts unit.

What exact symptoms are you getting -

- does the fan spin ?

- do you hear the hard drives spin up?

- is there anything on the video outputs?

I might have some suggestions for you to try if you're adventurous. :)

J

Here's my thread over in the help forum

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=172940

Yes, the unit powers up, green LED and the fan works. I've had the top off so I know the fan is spinning but the hard drive doesn't spin up. I've taken the drive out and used western digitals diag to do the basic 5 minute test which it passed.

I contacted a couple of the vendors and was told it's likely a hard drive dead issue but I"m not sure that's true.

Definitely open to ideas! :)

Did you get your 'parts' unit off ebay or do you have a suggested source?

Posted by: SevronD

This is my first post, but I've been lurking for weeks, reading much. I'm looking at the PS in my ATT TCD Series 2 Tivo with a critical eye and also want to get a replacement but cannot find any online. The Series 1 supplies look different (the MB connector certainly is) but I am considering Frankensteining something.

My unit (modified 10 months ago) has worked fine since I upgraded it until 10 days ago. It just started rebooting on its own and won't go 20 minutes without rebooting (still going through withdrawal!). Sometimes it boots up all the way, and I can watch TV for 10 minutes. Sometimes it reboots during the 'Almost there...' screen. After 5 or 6 reboots it will sit calmly with a black screen output.

I've tried 3 different (new) hard drives, a new dual-drive HD cable, back to the original cables, and a new power cable, a bigger fan, *and* just put on a nice UPS; all were no help. I ran PowerMax on the Drives and not a bad sector was found. I jiggled the Parlex cable, and cleaned it, and reseated it, still no help.

I repair pinball machines, so I'm ready to dig in further. The PS is my next suspect. Does anyone know the voltages and amps required? Someone mentioned 30V or 24V?? and I can certainly see 5.0 and 12V (and 3.4V?) on my multi-meter. Someone posted a partial link to schematics but I couldn't find the thread (newbie-disease I guess).

So, if no Series2 supplies are available, I'm looking at repair. In my pinball-repair experience, usually the solder-joints on the PS fail first (they can desolder a bit due to the heat). If not that, then the connectors could be bad (as others have suggested). If not that, I would think the capacitors could fail reducing the filtering they usually provide. After that, I suppose the transistors could fail, or degrade, and thus not provide enough current to the main board, but usually when silicon fails it FAILs.

I have no comparison unit, but will sniff around more inside my unit. Any advice for me as I venture in is appreciated!

quote:
Originally posted by nrobertson
Here's my thread over in the help forum

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=172940

Yes, the unit powers up, green LED and the fan works. I've had the top off so I know the fan is spinning but the hard drive doesn't spin up. I've taken the drive out and used western digitals diag to do the basic 5 minute test which it passed.

I contacted a couple of the vendors and was told it's likely a hard drive dead issue but I"m not sure that's true.

Definitely open to ideas! :)

Did you get your 'parts' unit off ebay or do you have a suggested source?

I bought mine off E-bay. Now.. the other thing you can try is ..

On the powersupply, right beside the ribbon connector to the motherboard is a variable potentiometer that increases the power output from the powersupply. Normally this has a big bead of gluey plastic junk on top if it so you can't adjust it.

With the power cable NOT connected to the unit, take a pair of needle nose pliers and try to pry the plastic gluey stuff off the top of it.. carefully. Very carefully - don't bend, pull or stretch the powersupply circuit board if you can avoid it.

Then, once the junk is off it, try increasing the potentiometer in very small amounts (clockwise) and then re-apply the power to see if that will then get the HD to spin up.. I've had some success with this method on another unit.

Lemme know if that works.

John

PS UPDATE:

This is what I found on the PARLEX cable, when the thing seems to be working OK:

Pin Voltage
=== =======
1 0V
2 3.40V
3 3.40V
4 3.40V
5 0V
6 5.07V
7 5.07V
8 0V
9 12.11V
10 0V
11 0V
12 3.40V
13 3.40V
14 0V
15 12.10V
16 5.07V
17 0V
18 29.8V
19 0V
20 0V

The PS has this text on it:
"3.3V @ 4.5A"
"5V @ 3.5A"
"12V @ 2.4A"
"30V @ 5mA"

So, none of the voltages look too far out of line. I'm not sure what Tivo does with 30V at such small current (50mA is pretty small), but probably 29.8V is within tolerance. Anyone disagree???

The others look fairly healthy, although the 5.07V isn't as much above 5V as the others are above their nominals. If it read 4.9 then I'd be concerned. But, I don't know how much noise is on each line, that's my next step.

I'd connect up a normal PC supply, but I don't know where I'll get the 30V from, since that voltage is not in standard PC supplies. I could hook up an external, I suppose. If the PS is OK, where do I turn to next??!!?? Why does my Tivo still reboot every few minutes?

I haven't messed with the POT yet.

PS UPDATE:

I removed the goop off the POT and turned it 1/4 turn, clockwise. Still, the unit failed after about 30 minutes. I did not measure the voltages to compare, but if it just supplies more current then I probably won't see a difference.

I bought a new Tivo TCD230040 unit off of ebay, but inside, the ATT Tivo and the TCD230 are different! The chips look the same, but the layout is very different, and the power supply is very different too, but still uses that Parlex cable and connector. I will measure the voltages on the new TCD230 and, if they are the same as the ATT, make the swap (although it then won't fit back in the case; not sure what I'm gonna do about that).

Posted by: classicsat

FWIW, the 30V is used to supply a tuning voltage for the tuner. The result you got is okay, since the tuner PLL regulates the voltage to the exact one needed for the selected channel.

Well, I weighed the option of continuing to search for a replacement power supply or buying another 60Gb unit off ebay for parts. In the end (and with my wife growing ever impatient :> ) I decided to take Tivo up on their swap offer. cost $149 but they sent me a brand new (march 2004 manufacture run) Tivo Series 2 80Gb unit as my replacement. I know this doesn't have the 2nd drive bracket and the power supply is lower wattage but it's good to have Tivo back up and running and get a slight upgrade (60gb to 80gb) for my trouble.

PS UPDATE:

So, I measured the replacement supply, it measured pretty much the same (one unused pin had 12V, I don't have my notes handy). I put the new supply in the old Tivo and booted it with a fresh image and IT STILL REBOOTED after 15 minutes!

Major bummer. It's not a problem with my supply.

I've been reading through many other threads, trying to figure out what the logfiles in Partition 9 mean. For example, the unit keeps reporting this message:

DbGc[109]: DbGc::HandleTriggerWhileIdle -- clock is warped -- re-marking in 300 seconds

Is that normal? I put in a new 3V watch battery (CR2032) thinking the RTC wasn't working, but it still reboots after some small number of minutes (not always 5 minutes).

Clock is warped means that you haven't made a successful connection to the TIVO servers to set the clock in a while. I don't think that should cause a reboot though.

J

PS Update:

So, it still reboots and I don't know where else to turn. I've attached the logfiles here. The most interesting ones contain valid Log info after the text

..bmc..

in the files. Why are some named starting with the letter 'O'???

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray