Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

Guided Setup - Should I do it???

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: acadianman2000

Hello All,

I have a Philips hdr212 unit in which I have TivoWeb installed. When I originally bought the unit I didn't intend to subscribe since I just wanted a "digital" VCR. I have the IR blaster set up to control my satellite receiver and I just select the proper channel and duration and off it goes; i.e. SCIFI channel Mondays from 7:00-10:00 for my favorite show: Stargate!

However, I have recently switched to a different satellite provider and now SCIFI is on a different channel. I have read many posts and have determined there is no way around it, I must go through Guided Setup.

1) I am pretty sure I need to hookup my telephone line for Guided Setup. Since I don't have a subscription, will Guided Setup still download the channel lineup for my new Satellite provider??

2) WIll Guided Setup update my software? I wouldn't want to loose my "VCR" functionality. Also, will Guided Setup "write over" my Tivoweb setup and associated utilities?

3) Finally, I have a lot of Stargate on disk. Will Guided Setup erase my recorded shows??

Thanks.

Posted by: stevel

1) A phone line is required for guided setup. I think it will get the new lineup. But if you have it networked, I think you can use the ,#401 trick if you have version 3.0 or later.

2) Guided Setup never updates software. Any updates occur on future calls. But you wouldn't lose manual recording anyway. GS itself won't affect the software.

3) No.

Posted by: csyria

I'm doing the same thing as you. Go ahead and gett he updates. I'm on vers. 3.

Kewl, thanks for the timely response.

I will give it a try tonight.

Later.

WoooHooo success.

However, I was a little nervous since it wasn't able to get my account information, which I shouldn't have any anyway, until after the third call. Then it didn't ask me for the type of satellite provider until AFTER it made the call into Tivo. I found that kinda strange.

Oh well all is well and even the IR blaster is working great.

Thanks for your help.

Just go ahead and let it call in again. You'll get the time set, you'll get the best software, and it won't wreck anything.

If I am not a subscriber why would it call in again? I thought only subscribed units make the daily call.

I did check and I am at Version 3.0.1.xxxx for the software. Is there a more current version of the software for and HDR212?

Later.

Nope, that's the latest.

But, you do want it to call in and get time info. ON my previous S1, them modem died and time was off by more than a minute after 4 weeks.

I can only imagine how much yours was off if you almost never connected.

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray