Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

GSOD w/127mb Swap on 2x120GB

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: VernGully

This is a running trial and error, so this may help or repeat others.

I have a TiVo 60hr TCD140060 Standalone (Series2) that was upgraded in Oct 02.

I used 2x120GB WD drives with MFS Tools 2.0. I used -s 127 back then (most likely).

The software is at 4.0.1b. Typically ran 50-52 degrees.

Started stuttering about a week ago. Locked up on a show and rebooted. Went to GSOD. Recovered, used it for about 30 mins, locked up, rebooted, GSOD'd, looped after about 7 mins.

OK, I read though the posts and verified this:

Hard drives:
Ran Western Digital Diags (DLGDIAG5.exe), both A and B drives passed all tests.
pdisk -l (MFS Tools 2.0 CD) on A drive shows:
8: Swap Linux swap 260096 @ 115788865 (127.0M)
A Drive "thunks" on initial power, but sounds normal the rest of the time.

This is what I have done so far to KEEP recordings:
Erased all the extra shows I have (while it was running), and got it down to approx 40hrs (I felt I needed to do that)
Replaced drive with original 60GB drive, no problems there.
Bought a 160GB drive.

I am going to assume, by chance/luck/intuition that my A drive might be failing.
So I am currently dd'ing the A drive to a new 160GB drive.

Does my pdisk look right? If so, is there any way to reinitialize the 127Mb swap (to take that out of the equation) with the MFS Tools 2.0? maybe mkswap it to be sure?

Is there a way to make sure that the 127Mb swap is working/being used without backdoors ( b/c of 4.0.1b) with the MFS Tools 2.0 or something? maybe in the /proc/meminfo file, how do I view that?

Posted by: Robert S

mount /dev/hdX4 /mnt

(or hdX7, if that's your active root partition).

grep swap /mnt/var/log/kernel

I don't think there's any reason to think that the reboot is due to lack of memory. It's more likely that the GSOD is rebooting on a bad block or something.

Deleting unwanted shows is an entirely meaningless act in this context.

Try running diagnostics on the disks. If diagnostics can fix some bad blocks, that might allow the GSOD to complete.

Posted by: VernGully

The dd of 120GB A to the 160GB drive took 18 HOURS!

I was unable to initialize or verify my swap partition.

The /var/log did not exist on either the hdX4 or hdX7 (active root?).

I plugged in the new 160GB A (without marrying or expanding) with the 120GB B into my tivo to test. It powered up without a GSOD, and is performing normally. Temp at 51C. I'm going to let it run though a few shows and see if it GSOD's.

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray