Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

Need advice - have HD D* receiver but want SD Tivo too

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: Michigan Golfer

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Here is my scoop:

I recently upgraded to a DirecTiVo for my family room (Philips DSR704), and I really like it, so I want to get one for my basement home theatre.

I have a Hitachi 57S500 RPTV in the basement hooked up to a Samsung SIR TS360 HD DirecTV receiver. I would like to get a TiVo unit for the basement as well, but 1) I don't want to spend the ~$1000 for the HD DirecTiVo right now and 2) I don't want to give up my Samsung SIR TS360 because it works great - (built-in OTA HD tuner, DirecTV HD capable) - it has had no issues.

Basically, I would like some standard DirecTiVo functionality in the basement but still retaining my DirecTV HD and OTA HD functionality - the TiVo recording can still be standard (non-HD).

What are my options?

Do they make a receiver that has built-in OTA HD tuner, and is DirecTV HD capable, but also contains non-HD DirecTiVo recording functionality?

Or should I just retain my current HD DirectV receier, and get a StandAlone TiVo receiver (even though the recording quality and other features are not has good as the DirecTiVo units)?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: ycrazyy

Well the only way to avoid paying the $1000 or so for the HD-DTiVo (which does everything you want, including OTA-HD and regular DTV channels) is to call up DTV and I guess go through customer retention and beg for a discount of some sort. Other than that, you are s* out of luck. :)

Posted by: rminsk

Why not buy a standard DirecTiVo and use a second input on the TV. The first input will be your HD receiver and your second will be the DirecTiVo. You will hav to run 2 more satellite lines (or 1 if you can live with a single tuner) to the basement.

The DirecTiVo will only cost you the receiver mirror fee of $5. A standalone TiVo will cost you $12 a month for a subscription.

Posted by: TrojanHorse

Yep - that's what I do. I have 5 cable lines into my den now... 3 from the satellite dish, 1 from the OTA antenna and 1 from regular old free cable TV for those "just in case" days and so I can play with PIP.

It's not so bad, but I find myself pining for more HD program material.

Posted by: Arkie

I have a DirecTivo and a HD reciever hooked up to my 65 inch mitsubishi.

I have 3 sat lines to the TV.

I even connected the Tivo to the HD reciever to upconvert it to a 1080i picture.

works fine for me......

Posted by: RDJR

I have the set up rminsk describes on my HD RPTV. I have three lines coming in. Two from the basement multiswitch to the SD Directivo and one line straight from the ms on the dish to the HTL-HD. Directivo is hooked up to the tv w/ s-video, HD receiver is hooked up using DVI cable. Works like a charm until the price on the HD-Dtivo drops and D* adds more HD content.

Posted by: JimSpence

My sentiments exactly. I watch HD live for now with my HTL-HD. When prices on the HDTiVo drop then I may get one.

Posted by: Chris Gerhard

quote:
Originally posted by Michigan Golfer
I have a Hitachi 57S500 RPTV in the basement hooked up to a Samsung SIR TS360 HD DirecTV receiver. I would like to get a TiVo unit for the basement as well, but 1) I don't want to spend the ~$1000 for the HD DirecTiVo right now and 2) I don't want to give up my Samsung SIR TS360 because it works great - (built-in OTA HD tuner, DirecTV HD capable) - it has had no issues.

You are fortunate to have a properly working SIR-TS360. Mine suffered from frequent dropouts but otherwise was great. I had to swap it for a Hughes HTL-HD which has worked fine but if not for the dropouts, the Samsung would have been preferable.

Chris

Posted by: Michigan Golfer

Won't I have to pay $5 for the extra DirecTV receiver and another $5 for the extra TiVo service? I already pay $5 for the TiVo service for the unit in my Family Room.

Having 3 DirecTV receivers for 2 TVs is kind of a bummer :( But I guess it is still cheaper than the getting the SA, paying a $12 service fee, and getting lower quality.

On another note, I am assuming I cannot record any HD programs on the Standard DirecTiVo (even as SD), since the receiver won't be able to tune to those HD stations (both OTA and DirecTV stations) - is this correct?

Finally, which is better if I do get another DirecTiVo receiver: 1) connecting it directly to the TV, or 2) going through the my Samsung HD DirecTV receiver (it has an S-Video input)?

Thanks for all the responses.

Posted by: rminsk

The TiVo service charge of $5 applies to the first 8 DirecTiVos on your account. So no, you will not pay an extra TiVo service charge only the receiver mirroring charge.

You will not be even able to tune to the HD channels.

Does the Samsung up convert the SD to HD? Do a test and see which one looks best.

Posted by: Bigg

has anyone ver tried 9 DTiVos. I know someone here has 8, but I don't know if anyone has ever tried 9? They say for all on account, but they also say 6 recs maximum, but they don;t enforce that.

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray