Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

Garbage Disposal: Left or Right sink bowl?

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: Squeak

Anyone have a preference? Does it make a difference? I am thinking it makes the most sense to put the disposal on the side closest to the dishwasher.

Thoughts?

Posted by: Steavis

Funny you bring this up, as I just installed a new stainless steel sink in our kitchen (replacing one that used to be white and had a falling-apart faucet). Anyway, our disposer is on the right, 8 inches or so from the dishwasher. I considered changing it to the left, whether there were any advantages, and it would have just made things more difficult when putting together the drain system.

If you ever wash by hand (as we did when our washer broke, until we could afford a new one), you'd probably want the disposer on the side that you'd fill up with dishwater. That way when you empty it, everything goes straight into the disposer--you won't have to clean out the strainer on the other side.

Posted by: GoodSpike

quote:
Originally posted by Squeak
Anyone have a preference? Does it make a difference? I am thinking it makes the most sense to put the disposal on the side closest to the dishwasher.

Thoughts?

I think I've only seen them on the right (or in the center), but I'm thinking the dishwashers have always been on the right too.

One tip. Install a power outlet under the sink. It makes installation and removal of the disposal a lot easier if all you have to do is install a plug cord in the disposal. That can be done before you install it in the sink or after you remove it.

Posted by: DMHinCO

quote:
Originally posted by Steavis
...you'd probably want the disposer on the side that you'd fill up with dishwater. That way when you empty it, everything goes straight into the disposer--you won't have to clean out the strainer on the other side.

Interesting you would say that. I thought just the opposite. In my experience, the shallow side of the sink, if there is one, usually has the disposer. I thought it was to scrape all the gunk off of the plate before you put it in the dishwater.

On a slightly different note, my Dad puts just about anything down the disposal at his house. I had a plumber come out because our sewer drainpipe was getting blocked occasionally (especially if my Dad came to visit us) and he said he thought the disposal must have been invented by a plumber to keep himself in business. He said to never use it. Since we stopped using it (except for small stuff), we haven't had a problem. But I think it was really because we stopped using those so-called flushable wipes for our little girl. Now that's WAY off-topic.

Posted by: GoodSpike

quote:
Originally posted by DMHinCO
On a slightly different note, my Dad puts just about anything down the disposal at his house. I had a plumber come out because our sewer drainpipe was getting blocked occasionally (especially if my Dad came to visit us) and he said he thought the disposal must have been invented by a plumber to keep himself in business. He said to never use it.

That's typically just a sign that the disposal is wearing out and not grinding the stuff that well. I lived in the same condo for 16 years and had that problem sometime between 5 and 10 years, but after someone told me to simply replace the disposal it never clogged again.

I would add, however, that at my current house, if I don't run some water down the side without the disposal, after running the disposal, that side will clog up after a few months. The disposal running pushes stuff into it, and it builds up over time.

Posted by: MikeCG

We had a double sink for years, but put in one large sink with disposer in the center when we remodeled our kitchen. Double sinks were nice when we washed dishes by hand and needed a second basin to rinse, but with a dishwasher they are unnecessary. We have never missed the double sink, and the large sink is really a convenience for rinsing large pans before putting them in the dishwasher.

Posted by: roamer1

In both of the two apartments I've been in in the past five years, the disposer was attached to the right side sink. (In one, the dishwasher was on the right side as well; in the other -- the one I'm living in now -- the d/w is on the left side.)

On a related note, what drives me nuts is that in both apartments and in my parents' house, the location of the plumbing dictates putting the washing machine on the right side of the dryer -- meaning I have to reach over an open, lint-y dryer door to put wet laundry in the dryer. (Neither my parents nor I have a dryer with a door that opens downward instead of to one side. If I bought one new I'd get one like that, but I got my current washer and dryer free, so...) :(

-SC

Posted by: trainman

In my current apartment, the disposal is on the left side of the double sink, and the dishwasher is over to the right.

In my previous apartment, the disposal was on the left side, too, but there was no dishwasher. (That's one of the reasons I moved.)

Two apartments ago, in Pennsylvania, both the disposal and dishwasher were on the left. No, I have no idea why I seem to be attracted to left-handed disposals.

Posted by: DJRobX

In the house I grew up in (built in the 60's) as well as my current home (Built in Dec 98) have the disposer on the left. Anything else is just not nat'ral. It's towards the dishwasher in both cases.

-- Rob

Posted by: appleye1

Disposal always goes on the right. It's a law. Well, maybe just a rule.

Posted by: BattMan

I dont know. Let me go ask the wife. :D

Posted by: stevel

It really depends on how you use the sink, though if you have a dishwasher, the disposer usually goes on that side. My sink is asymmetrical, there is a large, deep regular bowl and a small, shallower bowl to the right which is natural for the disposer.

I second the recommendation of an outlet under the sink. It must be GFCI-protected. Our disposer is a "batch feed" model (turns on when you invert the stopper - there's a magnetic switch), but my wife also wanted it on a wall switch (a notion I agreed with). My local electrical inspector also wanted it on a different circuit from the dishwasher.

Posted by: tulip088

quote:
Originally posted by appleye1
Disposal always goes on the right. It's a law. Well, maybe just a rule.

Maybe for righty's. ;)
We just got done remodeling our kitchen and moved the dishwasher from the right to the left of the sink - this made a formerly blind corner accessible. The sink we bought is two basin with a larger one on the left (that's the only way it was available). The plumber didn't care which side we put the disposal in so I chose the left since it is larger and I can soak my large pans and send the food bits down the disposall when I'm done (I hate dumping out strainer baskets).
As far as what to send down the disposall - I still scrape plates into the garbage first and only use it to grind the incidental stuff that goes down the drain from rinsing and food prep, etc.

Posted by: randyf

In MY house it is on the right side, and Dishwasher is on the left... but my SS sink has a very small right bowl (about 8" wide) so it seems natural that it is the disposer side.

in my rentals, however they are different
1. disposal left, d/w right
2. disposal left d/w left
3. disposal left d/w right.

these are all typical double bowl sinks....

my moms house had one of those real shallow bowls in the middle, and that's where the disposer lived.

I think a key to disposals not clogging up your drains is don't be afraid to spend some money on one.

the $40.00 ones that come in most new homes get the job done, but just barely. Not necessarily because of HP ratings, but the blades, and mechanisms of the more expensive ones are just made better.

Posted by: Gromit

Our's in on the left. Dishwasher's on the right. I've never really thought about it. Until now...

Posted by: GBL

I have one of these sinks:http://corian.com/CorianPublic/corian/publicsite/images/common/medium/corian/CP_874sink_md.jpg

so the disposal is on the left:), dishwasher on the right:)

Posted by: Mark Lopez

My DW is on the left and the disposal is on the right. It is in my 'job jar' to move it to the left. Of course it has been in the job jar for 4 years now. :)

Posted by: retrodog

Put one on both sides and let-er-rip. :D

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray