Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

IR Blaster Setup ?

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: bmoura

I have a new Tivo Series 2 unit and for some reason the IR Blaster isn't working at all.

Are there any secrets or tricks on getting it to work ?

Posted by: DaveLessnau

Do you have a cable box? Is it turned on? Is the IR Blaster plugged into the correct port on the back of the TiVo? Is one of the IR Blaster emitters positioned over the IR receiver on the cable box (shine a light in there to see where it is)? When you ran Guided Setup, did you specify cable with box? At Messages & Setup -> Recorder & Phone Setup -> Cable/Satellite Box -> Cable Box Setup, what cable box did you choose and what code/speed setting? Try another (probably slower) speed setting.

Posted by: bmoura

quote:
Originally posted by DaveLessnau
Do you have a cable box? Is it turned on? Is the IR Blaster plugged into the correct port on the back of the TiVo? Is one of the IR Blaster emitters positioned over the IR receiver on the cable box (shine a light in there to see where it is)? When you ran Guided Setup, did you specify cable with box? At Messages & Setup -> Recorder & Phone Setup -> Cable/Satellite Box -> Cable Box Setup, what cable box did you choose and what code/speed setting? Try another (probably slower) speed setting.

Thanks for the reply, Dave. Let's see.
1. Do you have a cable box? Yes.
2. Is it turned on? Yes.
3. Is the IR Blaster plugged into the correct port on the back of the TiVo? Yes.
4. Is one of the IR Blaster emitters positioned over the IR receiver on the cable box (shine a light in there to see where it is)? It seems to be in the right place. But this may be where things break down. It's not clear to me how to anchor the IR sensors to the correct distance - are the little white strips in the plastic bag part of that? I'm also not clear about the instructions of constructing a foil or cardboard "shelter" for the sensors. Is that mandatory?
5. When you ran Guided Setup, did you specify cable with box? Yes. Although I selected "General Instruments" because that's what the back of the cable box says. The front of the box says Motorola. And I see there's also a choice named "GI". Any of these the best choice?
6. At Messages & Setup -> Recorder & Phone Setup -> Cable/Satellite Box -> Cable Box Setup, what cable box did you choose and what code/speed setting? Try another (probably slower) speed setting. I ran through the various speeds. Didn't seem to make any difference.

Posted by: DaveLessnau

If I understand correctly, those little white strips should be double-sided tape that you stick on the emitters or the IR Blaster. Remove the tape on the "outside" once you get the emitter in position.

I'll also include my freshly minted, generic, things to try for IR problems blurb. There's some stuff in there on Motorola boxes.

These are some generic things to try if your TiVo's remote control won't change channels correctly (I've just compiled this list from threads in the forum -- it's probably not complete, but I'll add to it as I see more ideas):

Whether or not you have a cable box:

- Replace the batteries in the remote with fresh ones.
- Put the batteries into the remote backwards. Hit a button or two. Put the batteries back in correctly.
- Examine the remote to make sure a button isn't covered with gunk and stuck.
- Make sure there are no extraneous sources of IR in the room. Sunlight shining on the AV equipment, IR distribution systems, and other remotes are things to look for. If the TiVo is being hit with extraneous signals, it will stop responding to your real signals until the other stuff stops. SCOUR the room and remove all other remotes.
- Unplug the TiVo for a few minutes and then plug it back in.
- Remove the front panel of the TiVo (not the cover) and check that the IR receiver is not blocked. To remove the front cover, you should be able to lift the bottom two corners slightly and then slide the whole thing down.
- Remove the cover of the TiVo and check that the IR receiver board is still in place on the front of the unit. You'll need a size 10 Torx screwdriver or bit to do so. For non-Series2 TiVo's, removing the cover will void the warranty and make it ineligible for authorized repair.

If you have a cable box:

- Make sure the cable box is turned on.
- Make sure the IR Blaster is plugged into the correct port on the back of the TiVo.
- Make sure one of the IR Blaster emitters is positioned over the IR receiver on the cable box. You can shine a flashlight in there to see where it is. Mine (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000) is just to the right of the last digit in the time display.
- Unplug the cable box for a few minutes and then plug it back in.
- Push the cable box back an inch or so from the front of the rest of your AV equipment. The original TiVos have an IR emitter on the front which might be interfering with the signals from the IR Blaster. Pushing the cable box back might help alleviate that.
- At Messages & Setup -> Recorder & Phone Setup -> Cable/Satellite Box -> Cable Box Setup, try another (probably slower) speed setting. Also, there might be alternate brand settings that you can try. For instance, I've read that Motorola DCT 2000 boxes work with the Motorola code 10006-Fast. I've also read that they work with the Clearview code 10019-Fast. I believe there are also codes under General Instruments and GI which work.
- In Cable Box Setup try setting it so TiVo sends three digits instead of two.
- When you ran Guided Setup (GS), did you specify cable with box? If you didn't, then TiVo is trying to tune to channels with its internal tuner. You'll have to repeat GS (Messages & Setup -> System Reset -> Repeat Guided Setup) and tell it you have cable with box. Repeating GS won't affect any of your recordings or settings and should only take 15-20 minutes of your time (though the full process will take hours to complete (in the background)).
- Buy a flat IR emitter and use it instead of the original ones that came with the TiVo. The 8170S emitters from http://www.smarthome.com/8170.html work, as well as Xantech 282M emitters from http://www.worthdist.com/xantech/emittersnp.htm .
- Buy the Xantech X283M Blink-IR mouse emitter in conjunction with the XMS1 Mouse emitter shield cover. The shield cover will act as a quasi fort.
- Build a fort. You'll need to completely prevent all IR from hitting the IR receiver on the cable box. The easiest way is to use one of the flat emitters noted above and tape over the whole IR reception area with the emitter inside. Do a Search on the forum for the word "fort" for more information.

If you don't have a cable box:

- When you ran Guided Setup (GS), did you specify cable without box? If you didn't, then TiVo is trying to get an external tuner to change channels. You'll have to repeat GS (Messages & Setup -> System Reset -> Repeat Guided Setup) and tell it you have cable without box. Repeating GS won't affect any of your recordings or settings and should only take 15-20 minutes of your time (though the full process will take hours to complete (in the background)).

If you need to buy a new remote, you need to make sure you buy the right one. For non-Sony remotes, you can buy those at http://store.tivo.com . For Sony remotes, you can call Sony Parts at 800-488-7669 or order on the web at the Sony Direct Accessories & Parts Center ( http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ ). The part number for the standalone model (RMT-V303) is A6775895A. The part number for the DirecTV combo unit remote (RM Y809) is 147640711. These remotes are not interchangeable. You can also get remotes at www.ebay.com (I bought a Sony remote there for less than Sony was selling it).

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray