Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 31
Pages:1

Did you all tip the DirecTV installer?

(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

Posted by: Wekiva

I've got the installers coming out tomorrow morning and I'm wondering if I need to tip them. It seems that this tipping phenomenon is more of a northeasterner thing. My wife's parents who live in Philly go on a tipping frenzy each Christmas...the mailman, the water deliverer, the gas man, the trash man...and the list goes on and on. But here in Orlando I don't know anyone who tips ANY of those people. I'm wondering if tipping the DirecTV guys is also a northern thing...or if they are going to expect $$ when they're done. I do have some extra speaker wire I'm gonna ask if they can snake thru the walls which I'd be happy to tip them for. But if they just do the install that they're suppose to do then I don't see the point. I've yet to have anyone tip me when I do my job.

Posted by: Want1394

IMO, tipping is optional. If he/she does a great job, is friendly and helpful with suggestions on the best way to do your setup, ...., or they do something special for you, an extra $20 is great. If they just do the standard install and you make no special request of them, it's totally up to you.

Posted by: lew

A standard install (usually) means no basement, attic, snaking wire through walls etc. You mentioned snaking speaker wire, all basic installation is is drilling the wire through one exterier wall to the inside of the house. You should tip if they agree to snake the wire for you. Certainly tip if you're having the installer do anything extra--many places even charge extra to install your multiswitch.
I agree to need to tip for basic work but many of us have them do extras which should be tipped for.

Posted by: jhoetzl

Tipping on the whole is a bit crazy IMHO.

Do you tip doctors? If they do the stitches really neatly so you have a minimal scar, do they can an extra few bucks?

Don't these installers get paid a normal salary?
As do the UPS guy, Mailman and the such? I know some waiters and waitresses get paid minimum wage because their employers know they get tips, but why not just pay them enough in the first place?!

And I especially hate that dreaded "For parties over 10 we automatically add 18%" (in NYC) WHY!? What if the service is crappy? I have gone out with people that would pay higher than 18% in some upscale places, but they insist on the 18%, so that is what they get!

Anyway...I wouldn't tip the installer personally, but that may just be me...

http://money.cnn.com/2002/11/12/pf/saving/q_tipology/

Posted by: Rockbugg

No.

I work in the satellite industry and I know for a fact that installers are paid very well. At our company we pay anywhere from $140 to $200 for a 1-3 receiver job. Also, any additional work adds up to an extra $40 to $60 per job. These guys make about $75 an hour. I would not feel bad for not tipping them. They are well compensated for the relatively easy work they do.

Posted by: BryanRDC

My wife and I made dinner for my installer and his family, and gave them a bottle of wine. Of course, it was a friend from this forum that helped me "do it myself."

As for a paid installer, as mentioned by Want1394, if s/he goes above and beyond the call of duty, then an extra $10 to $20 seems like the right thing to do.

Posted by: Raj

I don't see why *everyone* wants a tip now. It's getting utterly ridiculous. Waiters, cab drivers and the like I can understand. But pretty soon it's getting to the point where everyone has a "tips" jar. It's really ridiculous. If your installer went above and beyond, and did stuff that the work order didn't specify, a tip is fine. But it's not mandatory.

Tips are also bad because they often make employers lower wages because they figure employees will make it up in tips. This is simply not right.

quote:
Originally posted by jhoetzl
Tipping on the whole is a bit crazy IMHO.

I know some waiters and waitresses get paid minimum wage because their employers know they get tips, but why not just pay them enough in the first place?!

And I especially hate that dreaded "For parties over 10 we automatically add 18%" (in NYC) WHY!? What if the service is crappy? I have gone out with people that would pay higher than 18% in some upscale places, but they insist on the 18%, so that is what they get!

Anyway...I wouldn't tip the installer personally, but that may just be me...

http://money.cnn.com/2002/11/12/pf/saving/q_tipology/

Actually in most states waiters and waitresses get paid BELOW THE MINIMUM WAGE with tips being considered part of the minimum wage compensation.

My comment was to tip installers that preform EXTRA service (snaking wires, extra runs etc). I agree that tips are not necessary for basic installation.

Posted by: TIVOFREAK

Tip if you think they did a better job than the average guy. My installer did a great job and went the extra mile installing jacks. He got a tip.

Posted by: David Platt

I'll echo everybody else's sentiments here: tipping is directly related to the level of service they give. If they go above and beyond the call of duty, give them a nice tip.

My installers (and the company they worked for) were so bad, on the other hand, that not only did they not get a tip from me, I had them put out of business by complaining to DTV until they stopped scheduling installs done by that company. They did shoddy work, charged me for things that they didn't do, and tried to sell me a hacked P3 card.

Posted by: chadbear

quote:
Originally posted by TIVOFREAK
Tip if you think they did a better job than the average guy. My installer did a great job and went the extra mile installing jacks. He got a tip.

Wow! My installer did not install jacks. I had to do that myself, mine just drilled a hole in my hardwood floor (#$#$@#$@!!!!).

Posted by: aaronw

quote:
Originally posted by jhoetzl

It's funny you should mention that... I did used to see that sort of thing, but now most of them are saying that, but adding 'feel free to increase or decrease at your discretion' after that.

Posted by: webwide

Why would I tip myself?

Posted by: DanTanna

I agree if the installer is friendly, curteous and takes time to explain what he's going to do to your house to install the sat service then a tip isn't out of the question.
I know some of them get paid well for their jobs however the better ones will; wipe their feet before coming into your home, use a dustbuster to suck up any debris they made when they fished the cable and in general show as much or more respect for your property as you do.

Suppose you get "Joe Average" installer, perhaps you can tell them right off the bat, "Hey here's a $20 tip that I'm going to hold onto until your done with the job" nothing like a little greed to draw out some quality work! :p

DanTanna.

Posted by: appleye1

I really expected someone up North to comment on the "you all" in the thread title, but no one has noticed it so far. You can really tell Wekiva is a Southerner.

Not that there's anything wrong with that! Personally I love it. I would have used the contraction "ya'll" myself.

Posted by: Pii

quote:
Originally posted by appleye1
Not that there's anything wrong with that! Personally I love it. I would have used the contraction "ya'll" myself.

If you did, than you'd have been incorrect. The contraction is y'all (where the apostrophe replaces the "ou" in "you"). Damn Northrons. Can't even manage a right proper y'all. :D (appleye1, this is totally meant in jest... In reality, I'm about 17% less crotchety than I appear to be on the Internet!)

[Edit: After carefully reviewing the thread, appleye1 is not actually a damn Northron, which is even worse!]

Back to the topic!

Tipping is getting totally out of hand. I see no reason to tip a person for simply doing his job. When I'm at a customer location, configuring and installing network equipment, I don't recall ever having received a tip. How is a DirecTV installation any different? (In fact, I think it's a much lower threshold of service, considering that in most cases, you've already had to make arrangements to miss work to accomidate an installation that may or may not occur between noon and 8:00pm.)

Others have pointed out that some installers go above and beyond, but even when these criteria have been met, the bar is set so low...

Why is it that we've allowed "quality labor" to be recategorized as "above and beyond the call of duty?"

I find it very frustrating. If I went about my business day in the manner I hear so often described on this forum, I'd fire myself.

Am I wrong to maintain a certain level of expectation from people that I am ultimately paying to perform a service (Either I'm paying, or DirecTV is paying (Which is a clever way of me paying over the long haul)) ?

Posted by: Wekiva

Yes...Wekiva is a southerner.
Yes...Wekiva did tip the guy $20
Yes...Wekiva did get screwed!

The guy did an OK job but the plate he up on the wall is crooked.

Oh well.

Posted by: miniyoda

quote:
Originally posted by webwide
Why would I tip myself?

I did......I bought myself a beer.

Posted by: steuert

If he performed a basic install, then IMO no tip is necessary, any more than you would tip the guys who delivered and installed a washer and dryer, water heater, etc.

As pointed out above, installers are pretty well paid for what they do. You should get a neat, professional job w/o having to pay a bribe.

If you ask the installer to run some extra wires, in most cases you will be charged accordingly. If he does so w/o charging extra and you pay him something, then it is really a fee for service and not a tip in the usual sense of the word.

Posted by: Polcamilla

quote:
Originally posted by DanTanna
Suppose you get "Joe Average" installer, perhaps you can tell them right off the bat, "Hey here's a $20 tip that I'm going to hold onto until your done with the job" nothing like a little greed to draw out some quality work! :p

There was a great Third Rock episode where John Lithgow went to a restaurant with a date and called the waitress over at the begining of the meal. He showed her a small pile of $1's and told her that he would add to the pile for good service and take away from the pile for poor service. With everything she said or did he was constantly shuffling $1's through the whole meal. It was very funny, but I swear there have been times when I've wanted to do the exact same thing!

Posted by: Sir_whinealot

I figured I owed my installer a tip....so I told him, "don't stand up in canoes" just before he left....:D

~Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.~

Others have pointed out that some installers go above and beyond, but even when these criteria have been met, the bar is set so low...

[/B][/QUOTE]

Go to a site that lists what's included in basic free installation. Wall plate, attic, basement and sanking through the wall is not included. The criteria for BASIC installation is low.

Posted by: RichsSat

quote:
Originally posted by Rockbugg
No.

I work in the satellite industry and I know for a fact that installers are paid very well. At our company we pay anywhere from $140 to $200 for a 1-3 receiver job. Also, any additional work adds up to an extra $40 to $60 per job. These guys make about $75 an hour. I would not feel bad for not tipping them. They are well compensated for the relatively easy work they do.

WOW, I want to work for you. $75 an Hour? Where do I sign up.

I have been installing for 4 years and have never made $75 an hour.

The majority of installers in this area make anything from $12hr as employees to $25hr as subcontractors.

I am a subcontractor.

Out of the $25 an hour I make I have to supply everything

All materials, tools, truck, ladders, gas, certification and insurance.

I am required to warranty all of my installations for 6 months. We get sent back out on free "service calls" all the time for things like button pushing errors, dead remote batteries and people who have tried to move their dish or receiver to another location and can't get it to work again.

People often try to scam us as well, I had to buy a customer a new TV a few years ago because he claimed that I broke it. It was a 20yr old tv and he claimed it worked fine before I got there. Now I have to take the time to turn on all components to verify that they work before I touch anything to avoid scams like that. It was cheaper to go buy a $150 tv then to try to fight this A** in court. I had a job, he didn't. I hope his new tv falls on his head.

My commercial liability policy alone costs me almost $2k a yr not to mention the other $1200 for my business auto ins (artisans clause).

No health insurance, no unemployment or disability insurance and no 401k. If there is no work we don't get paid. We don't get paid if you are not home, if you have too many trees to do the install or if we get rained or snowed out. We just eat the time and the cost of driving to your house.

BTW that $25 an hour is based on a "book time"

I get paid for 1 1/2 hr for a single (non TiVo) install and 2hrs for a 2 rec install. Any time spent on site after that is "off the clock"

It doesn't matter if the house is a 800sqft single story cottage or a 12,000 sqft 3 story mansion.

All the "book time" typically adds up to between 4-6 hours a day. Most days I spend 8-12 hours a day at work.

Being a long time lurker on this board I have noticed that some of the TiVo folks are VERY demanding and seem to think that the tech or Directv owes them everything from free dish heaters to $150 multiswitches just because they are a customer.

Your free installation is a "BASIC" installation.
That means
Functional dish placement (where it will work, not where you insist it goes)
Exterior wiring only
proper grounding
heights under 24ft
a basic tv hookup (coax only)
no phone jacks
no attic or crawl space work
no wall fishing
up to 100ft of wire per outlet (no that doesn't mean that we use 25 ft per run and leave you the other 75ft, along with a few connectors to use as you please).
We are not even required to hide the cabling, most will do it out of pride in our jobs tho.

The people who sell the systems will usually tell the customer that I will do anything and everything for free as part of a basic install, even things that have nothing to do with satellite.

Like cleaning gutters
taking down christmas lights
hanging chandeliers (sp)
hooking up $4,000 in home theater components
Heck, I even had a lady get really pissed at me because I didn't have $5 in quarters for her to do her laundry (salesman told her I would)

I keep seeing threads on here about "how bad my installer was because" and I will agree there are some pretty crappy techs out there. I wouldn't let 75% of the hacks out there carry my tool bags. But those of us who take pride in our jobs and strive to make customers happy are getting screwed by the "it's all free" mentality. The crappy techs are the ones who drive the per install reimbursement (40% in the last 4 years) down and push the people who know what the heck they are doing out of business.

My advice to everyone.....Do a little research on the product that you intend to buy and what is (or isn't) included before you get upset at people who are not doing what you expected.

Just keep in mind what a bad installer could do and if you have a good one that does his job in a professional manner, then take care of him.

BTW, if it wasn't for tips I wouldn't be able to pay my bills some months.

Thanks,
RR

Posted by: platbr

I tipped my installer $20 because he installed the wire through my crawl space, and generally did a good job. It was probably easier to go through the crawl space than around the house, but he did a good job, did what I asked, and I figured that [like the installer above] he wasn't paid to do it exactly as I wanted it.

My only gripe was the mud he tracked through the house and onto my carpet... however, in Seattle in Winter one can't exactly expect that it won't be muddy out, and he did wipe his feet. It did take some time to clean up after him, though, which slightly pissed me off ;-). However, the thrill of dual tuners made it worth the while.

Now, if only my exploded, reboot looping, 13 day old Tivo would get repaired... life would be good. I still do not understand how cutting the power can F&#* up my Tivo.

Posted by: narcisse

My DTV installer took longer than he had anticipated because the house is unusually built. He did a great job and threw me bone on a cable run. I tipped him.

I made it a point of meeting my letter carrier, and getting to know him on a name basis. He is a nice guy. He knew the previous tenant and was concerned with his whereabouts. My packages get here when he is not on vacation. That is not always the case in large cities with gated doors. He got an X-mas tip.

I have had the same hair stylist for almost eight years. She is a nice person and she works hard. She merits an X-mas tip.

The paper delivery person hasn't missed a day and the paper is always there before I get up to walk my dog. It is dry and in a place where it won't be stolen or destroyed. Paper delivery people generally have crappy jobs I feel. If they do it with pride that merits a tip in my book.

I also know the water delivery person by name. He is a young kid in his early 20s. I don't know if this is his career, but he always makes sure we have the correct style and amount of bottles. He is friendly with our pets and works hard. Yes, another X-mas tip.

To me money is nice to have I guess, but for $100.00 total and respectful words these people remember my house as a place of tipping and kindness.

Plus tipping is often tax free money that really moves in and out of the economy and keeps things flowing.

You don't tip your doctor because your doctor makes a lot of money! He/she is not in the "trades". He/she is white collar.

Wait staff get more for large parties because so often large parties take a very long time to finish their meal and visit (which is fine) thus affecting the persons ability to make money from the many smaller parties they could have had. Also in my experience 1 out of 3 large parties just forget to tip or tip small as they are "dividing" up the check.

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include(http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/avsforum/archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/archive_functions.php on line 37

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vB Easy Archive Final ©2000 - 2014 - Created by Stefan "Xenon" Kaeser Modified by Adam J. de Jaray