TiVo Community Forum Archive 1

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 (http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php)
- TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo (http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=35)
-- TIVO HMO and Gigabit Ethernet Works Great! (http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?threadid=118951)


Posted by SteakMan on 06-23-2003 05:13 PM:

Re: Corrections to posts by Dennis Wilkinson

quote:
Originally posted by HTXpertGuy
Everyone should realize they MUST use a "switch" hub for their home network to avoid bottlenecks. But, that has nothing to do with Gigabit speed VS slower Ethernet speeds such at 100baseT. Rather your home network is CAT 5e or CAT 6/6e
Why do you keep insisting this?
http://www.10gea.org/GEA_copper_0999_rev-wp.pdf
A little research, and I take back my "You are both right" above

I wanted to find specs on max distance for GB over CAT5, and guess what? It's the same as 100 TX. GB was designed to work over existing installations. 90% of existing Cat5 100 TX installations will support GB up to 100 meters, the remaining 10% are likely due to poor or non-standard connections.

Oh, and Dennis is 100% correct about the switched network.

-SteakMan-

__________________
GXCEB0TD - 69hrs - TurboNet
HDVR2 - 107hrs - BASH over USB/Ethernet


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:53 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.2.8
Copyright © Jelsoft Enterprises Limited 2000, 2001.
(C)opyright - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not affiliated with TiVo Inc.