TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Dish 301 with iR blaster- suggestions? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
swats is offline Old Post 09-24-2003 06:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for swats Find more posts by swats Add swats to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swats

Thumbs down Dish 301 with iR blaster- suggestions?

Hi Everyone

I've been using a Dish 301 receiver with the IR blasters since April. I would say it misses approx 10-15% of channel changes. This wouldn't be such a huge deal, but as I only have line of sight to the 119 satellite, any time it lands on a bad channel it gets stuck until I CH+ manually on the receiver (could be hours of missed programs).

To date I have tried-
1) Every code, on fast/medium/slow
2) Building a tent
3) Sticking the emitters directly on the IR window of the receiver
4) Placing the emitters 3-4" in front of the IR window
5) An aftermarket set of Blasters from a home theater shop

Yet it is still unreliable at best. Does anyone have any additional suggestions for me? It is frusterating to say the least when every program in your List is just a Dish dialog box because it missed a channel change 12 hours ago!

Thanks for the time

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

writdenied is offline Old Post 09-24-2003 06:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for writdenied Find more posts by writdenied Add writdenied to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
writdenied

Well, let's stop and take stock of things for a moment:

We know for a fact that TiVo and Dish 301 receivers, while not necessarily the best of friends, do play nicely together. (We know this, because they're both in my living room right now.)

We know, from ccwf's codes list that there are a couple of known-working codes for Dish 301 boxes. My personal experience is that code 100043, medium, no enter has worked flawlessly, but the list also recommends 10001, fast, no enter.

If you've tried these codes, my guess is that you don't have the IR emitters placed properly. You mention 3-4 inches, and right on the IR eye. However, the TiVo manual recommends the IR emitter be 1-1.5 inches from the eye on the box. Also, perhaps my imprecision has worked to my advantage-- I use both emitters, one above and one below the box, and while both are purportedly aimed at the center eye of what appears to be a 3-eye remote sensor, a bird's eye view reveals that each emitter is a bit off from dead center. Perhaps my sloppy installation provides broader coverage, enough to get the channels changed every time.

If tinkering with the emitter doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you-- Dish customer service will not help (they want you to use their DVR), and TiVo will likely tell you the first two points I noted. (I suppose an absolute last-ditch solution would be to cave and get Dish's PVR and hawk the TiVo for nearly full price on Ebay.)

Last edited by writdenied on 09-24-2003 at 06:43 PM

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

snoop is offline Old Post 09-24-2003 08:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for snoop Find more posts by snoop Add snoop to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
snoop

I had the same problem and came down to two possibilities for the problem, and one solution.

#1: try pointing the dish remote at the vent slots on the side of the 301. Indeed it takes commands through the vent slots. The IR receiver is not shielded from the inside, and thats alright except that a fort on the front doesnt do you as much good.

#2: Aside from the vent quirk, I found that hitting any tivo remote button in the midst of a channel change on the 301 caused the channel change to fail. This is with about 30' of silver duct tape blocking up the front and the unit backed in where reflections through the vent holes would be made unlikely. No idea why. After months I noticed that left alone the channel changes were fine almost all the time, but when I was using the tivo remote at hour/half hour intervals, the channel changes went wrong. By waiting for a channel change to occur and then hitting buttons on the tivo remote, I was able to cause a misfire a percentage of the time.

Solution: I put the dish receiver into a completely closed cabinet, with just the wires coming through a small hole I drilled in the top of the cabinet to the tivo. No glass, no openings, completely closed. Nearly 100% channel change reliability.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmets is offline Old Post 09-25-2003 07:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmets Find more posts by dmets Add dmets to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmets

I found that the key is properly locating the IR on the 301. I don't use tents - I use Electrical Tape. I afix the emitter right to the best spot onthe case and electrical tape up around it. Worked great - I no longer have a 301, but I had maybe one lost channel in just under a years worth of recording.... I really cant recall any - but it could happen..

My current beef is with cableboxes that run too hot and dont turn back on when the power goes out.... urg... I had to get ups for a d@(# cable box.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZikZak is offline Old Post 09-25-2003 10:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZikZak Visit ZikZak's homepage! Find more posts by ZikZak Add ZikZak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

quote:
Originally posted by snoop
Aside from the vent quirk, I found that hitting any tivo remote button in the midst of a channel change on the 301 caused the channel change to fail. This is with about 30' of silver duct tape blocking up the front and the unit backed in where reflections through the vent holes would be made unlikely. No idea why.

This is probably because the TiVo will not send IR commands while it detects other IR signals in the room. This could cause the Dish receiver to time out.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged