TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> TivoWeb via serial <<<

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Toran is offline Old Post 02-18-2003 10:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toran Visit Toran's homepage! Find more posts by Toran Add Toran to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toran

TivoWeb via serial

I have recently purchased a serial cable for my TiVo and wish to install and run TivoWeb over serial. I do not have a TurboNet or AirNet card installed.

All the posts I have read assume the use of a TurboNet or AirNet card.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 02-19-2003 12:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrtickle Find more posts by mrtickle Add mrtickle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrtickle
hatted

You can certainly use serial PPP for TiVoWeb, I did last year.

The posts which fail to mention it, and imply that you have to fork out lots of money to run TivoWeb, always annoy me! You can have TiVoWeb for 6 quid, and it's fantastic!

I combined the BlackWidow guide here:
http://black-widow000.150m.com/TiVo-PPP/index.htm

(NB! This assumes that you want to use your PC to make daily calls! If you don't, the settings will be wrong and your tivo won't be able to get guide data. See below for my settings)

with the tivohelp.com "Monster Newbie How-to" here:
http://www.stevejenkins.com/tivo/newbie.html

(NB! again there are a few things relevant here which you need to know - the UK tivo is a "series 1" tivo with a PowerPC processor.)

Here are my settings when I was using serial PPP. This sets the tivo to continue making daily calls, ie not use the PC internet connection. I suggest you use as a final check after you have finished using the guides above.

/etc/pap-secrets: (sets PPP password to "tivolong" - do the same on the PC side)

code:
tivo * tivolong

/etc/ppp-options:
code:
/dev/cua1 115200 crtscts asyncmap 0 netmask 255.255.255.0

/etc/ppp-options.cua1: (tivo modem)
code:
defaultroute proxyarp

/etc/ppp-options.cua3: (PPP link)
code:
/dev/cua3 115200 #debug nocrtscts lcp-restart 1 ipcp-restart 1 lcp-echo-failure 10 lcp-echo-interval 60 local noauth nodetach asyncmap 0 name tivo nodefaultroute noproxyarp refuse-chap

/etc/rc.d/rc.remote-login: (must be set as executable)
code:
#!/bin/bash tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login & while : ; do stty 115200 </dev/cua3 echo "CLIENTCLIENT" > /dev/cua3 sleep 1s /sbin/custpppd file /etc/ppp-options.cua3 nodetach #echo "custpppd started on /dev/cua3" sleep 90 done

No change to rc.sysinit, I put all the changes in rc.sysinit.author to separate my stuff from tivo's stuff - much tidier. (I wish the turbonet stuff would do that too, I had to fix it all myself afterwards!)

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author: (must be set as executable)
code:
PATH=$PATH:/var/hack:/var/hack/bin export PATH # TiVo PPP mods echo "Starting PPP, running remote login" /etc/rc.d/rc.remote-login & # FTP mods /var/hack/bin/tivoftpd &

Obviously the path to ftp may vary on your machine.

The easiest mistake to make is not to set the files as executable, if your rc.sysinit isn't executable then it will definitely hang on the powerup screen!

HTH

160GB UK 2.5.5 TiVo with 32MB ram running TiVoweb via 512MB cachecard with 170 SPs and some custom channel logos. Other hacks: serial PPP in the UK, TiVoWeb, fix the flickering selection bar, kill the red dot in software and merge recordings.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tilezzzzz is offline Old Post 02-19-2003 12:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tilezzzzz Find more posts by Tilezzzzz Add Tilezzzzz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tilezzzzz

Where???

Hi ya,

If Tivo is using your intenet connection to get guide data I have a few questions .

- Where does it go for the guide data, what website can it get it from? and is it all uk relivent channels?

- How long does it take to transfer the data from the pc (adsl connection) through the serial into the Tivo?

- Also do u need linux running on the pc?? as I have windows xp installed and dont realy wanna go and start partitioning my harddrive.

Cheers

Chris

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pauljs is offline Old Post 02-19-2003 01:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pauljs Find more posts by pauljs Add pauljs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pauljs

Re: Where???

Originally posted by Tilezzzzz

quote:

- Where does it go for the guide data, what website can it get it from? and is it all uk relivent channels?-

The UK guide date comes from the US from their servers. Not sure if they use mirrors to spread the load.

When the TiVo dials up it establishes a connection using UUNet dialUP POPS to the Internet

quote:

- How long does it take to transfer the data from the pc (adsl connection) through the serial into the Tivo?-

A few seconds as opposed to a minute or two on the modem

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JamboRobbo is offline Old Post 02-19-2003 03:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JamboRobbo Find more posts by JamboRobbo Add JamboRobbo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JamboRobbo

quote:
Originally posted by mrtickle
You can certainly use serial PPP for TiVoWeb, I did last year.

The posts which fail to mention it, and imply that you have to fork out lots of money to run TivoWeb, always annoy me! You can have TiVoWeb for 6 quid, and it's fantastic!

I combined the BlackWidow guide here:
http://black-widow000.150m.com/TiVo-PPP/index.htm

(NB! This assumes that you want to use your PC to make daily calls! If you don't, the settings will be wrong and your tivo won't be able to get guide data. See below for my settings)

with the tivohelp.com "Monster Newbie How-to" here:
http://www.stevejenkins.com/tivo/newbie.html

(NB! again there are a few things relevant here which you need to know - the UK tivo is a "series 1" tivo with a PowerPC processor.)

Here are my settings when I was using serial PPP. This sets the tivo to continue making daily calls, ie not use the PC internet connection. I suggest you use as a final check after you have finished using the guides above.

/etc/pap-secrets: (sets PPP password to "tivolong" - do the same on the PC side)
code:
tivo * tivolong

/etc/ppp-options:
code:
/dev/cua1 115200 crtscts asyncmap 0 netmask 255.255.255.0

/etc/ppp-options.cua1: (tivo modem)
code:
defaultroute proxyarp

/etc/ppp-options.cua3: (PPP link)
code:
/dev/cua3 115200 #debug nocrtscts lcp-restart 1 ipcp-restart 1 lcp-echo-failure 10 lcp-echo-interval 60 local noauth nodetach asyncmap 0 name tivo nodefaultroute noproxyarp refuse-chap

/etc/rc.d/rc.remote-login: (must be set as executable)
code:
#!/bin/bash tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login & while : ; do stty 115200 </dev/cua3 echo "CLIENTCLIENT" > /dev/cua3 sleep 1s /sbin/custpppd file /etc/ppp-options.cua3 nodetach #echo "custpppd started on /dev/cua3" sleep 90 done

No change to rc.sysinit, I put all the changes in rc.sysinit.author to separate my stuff from tivo's stuff - much tidier. (I wish the turbonet stuff would do that too, I had to fix it all myself afterwards!)

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author: (must be set as executable)
code:
PATH=$PATH:/var/hack:/var/hack/bin export PATH # TiVo PPP mods echo "Starting PPP, running remote login" /etc/rc.d/rc.remote-login & # FTP mods /var/hack/bin/tivoftpd &

Obviously the path to ftp may vary on your machine.

The easiest mistake to make is not to set the files as executable, if your rc.sysinit isn't executable then it will definitely hang on the powerup screen!

HTH

An Excellent and very useful post Mr Tickle. Wish this had been around in one place somewhere when I was setting up Tivoweb over PPP. I got there in the end after searching around various sources and hacking away at it for ages, but I know this would've made things a lot easier for me.

Robbo

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Toran is offline Old Post 02-19-2003 04:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Toran Visit Toran's homepage! Find more posts by Toran Add Toran to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toran

Thanks mrtickle,
Is there any downside to installing TivoWeb?
Has it caused any reboots on your machine?

By the way, how the heck did you manage to get rid of the screen flicker?

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 02-19-2003 06:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrtickle Find more posts by mrtickle Add mrtickle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrtickle
hatted

I had to hack around for ages when I did it too . And pull the drives out more times than I care to mention . So if it helps, there ya go

toran - tivoweb doesn't really have any downsides that I can think of! It is pretty stable and has many happy users both here and in the US - there is a dedicated thread on the Underground forum.

The flickering bar fix was a combined effort - see the thread that my sig links to! HTH

160GB UK 2.5.5 TiVo with 32MB ram running TiVoweb via 512MB cachecard with 170 SPs and some custom channel logos. Other hacks: serial PPP in the UK, TiVoWeb, fix the flickering selection bar, kill the red dot in software and merge recordings.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tilezzzzz is offline Old Post 03-04-2003 06:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tilezzzzz Find more posts by Tilezzzzz Add Tilezzzzz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tilezzzzz

Hi ya,

Ok, i went to the 2 main links that is recamended to be used when doing this kinda stuff and started to follow the http://www.stevejenkins.com/tivo/ne...ml#_Toc16500982 instructions. They seem prety clear to begin with and just tells you to basicly set up an msdos disk with some extra files.

But the extra files just wont fit on the disk!???

Has n e one successfully folwed them instructions, how did you get around this problem?

Cheers

Chris

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

karl is offline Old Post 03-04-2003 07:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for karl Find more posts by karl Add karl to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
karl

quote:
Originally posted by Tilezzzzz

But the extra files just wont fit on the disk!???

Has n e one successfully folwed them instructions, how did you get around this problem?

You can safely delete these files off the diskette:

SCANREG.EXE 161 KB
SCANDISK.EXE 140 KB
EXTRACT.EXE 91 KB
EDIT.COM 68.2 KB
FDISK.EXE 62.4 KB
FORMAT.COM 48.4 KB
XCOPY32.MOD 40.5 KB
CD4.SYS 40.3 KB
MEM.EXE 31.3 KB
CHKDSK.EXE 27.4 KB
MOVE.EXE 26.6 KB
DELTREE.EXE 18.6 KB
SYS.COM 18.5 KB
IEXTRACT.EXE 17.2 KB
CD2.SYS 16.1 KB
ATTRIB.EXE 14.8 KB
EDIT.HLP 10.5 KB
LABEL.EXE 9.10 KB
SCANDISK.INI 7.15 KB
FIND.EXE 6.50 KB
XCOPY32.EXE 3.78 KB
XCOPY.EXE 3.78 KB

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 03-04-2003 06:40 PM
mrtickle
hatted

I have to admit I didn't use the disk. I used the kazymyr boot CD

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Smurf is offline Old Post 03-05-2003 04:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Smurf Find more posts by Smurf Add Smurf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smurf

quote:
I have to admit I didn't use the disk. I used the kazymyr boot CD

Likewise - I've done my backup this evening and used the same boot CD.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Smurf is offline Old Post 03-05-2003 05:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Smurf Find more posts by Smurf Add Smurf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smurf

Very quick question - I bought my serial cable from Pacelink - do I still need to use a Null modem as detailed on the Black Widow site?

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tilezzzzz is offline Old Post 03-05-2003 08:03 AM
Tilezzzzz

update

Well I finally pulled the Tivo drive out and started to follow the instructions of both the links i was given (cheers guys! )

And after a bit of deleting files and saving files to floppy disks i managed to do all i needed to do on the hardrive and put it back in the Tivo. And it started up fine .

I also brought all the bits i needed to make my own serial cable from maplins. But I think I have failed misserably at that as doesent seem to be working - would have been cheaper to buy a ready made one from pacelink i think (ended up paying £11 for various bits at Maplins)

Oh well

Tis now 2am and I am tired

Chris

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 03-05-2003 02:15 PM
mrtickle
hatted

quote:
Originally posted by Smurf
Likewise - I've done my backup this evening and used the same boot CD.

Ah. The kazymyr boot CD contains an old version of mfstools (1.0 I think). That backup you've made will be the same as mfstools2 as long as you used the "-l 32" bit. But, be sure you use MFStools 2 for the restore part to end up with a faster tivo.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Smurf is offline Old Post 03-05-2003 11:24 PM
Smurf

quote:
Ah. The kazymyr boot CD contains an old version of mfstools (1.0 I think). That backup you've made will be the same as mfstools2 as long as you used the "-l 32" bit. But, be sure you use MFStools 2 for the restore part to end up with a faster tivo.

I certainly did use the "-l 32", looks like I did something correctly for a change!

Do I need the null modem on my Pacelink cable?

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 03-06-2003 06:25 PM
mrtickle
hatted

quote:
Originally posted by Smurf
I certainly did use the "-l 32", looks like I did something correctly for a change!

quote:

Do I need the null modem on my Pacelink cable?

according to the black widow guide, for win98 you need to use the null modem driver (linked from http://black-widow000.150m.com/TiVo-PPP/index.htm ), but you mustn't use it with win2k. For win2k you have to use the built-in one ("RAS Serial Connection Between 2 PC's").

HTH

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Smurf is offline Old Post 03-07-2003 12:18 AM
Smurf

Ok - I'm just about to start the actual "hacking" - wish me luck!!

I might need a bit of help setting the Tivo to continue to make daily calls but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Smurf is offline Old Post 03-07-2003 04:17 AM
Smurf

Right - things were ok... I got the bash prompt, installed joe, and created the relevant files. All was going smoothly until I rebooted the Tivo - then I couldn't get the bash back! So I got the drive back out and restored the rc.sysinit file and put the echo line back in, thankfully I now have a bash command! phew!

Anyway - I'm completely stuck trying to figure out how to get Win XP to connect via PPP to the Tivo. Do any of you guys have any advice?

I've installed the 'modem' as "Communications cable between two computers", but I'm not too sure which option needs selecting when creating the actual connection.

Do I need - Accept Incoming Connections or Connect Directly to another computer ?? The latter has two options of host or guest.

I've tried all variants but can't get them connecting at all.

If someone could point me in the right direction it'd help a lot!!

Sorry to ask so many questions - I'll get there in the end!! :-)

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chris T is offline Old Post 03-07-2003 04:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chris T Find more posts by Chris T Add Chris T to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris T

Iíve found this Link is now dead. I donít know if the XP section helps, but it looks quite useful.

Edit to remove dead link

Last edited by Chris T on 10-03-2004 at 05:09 AM

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrtickle is offline Old Post 03-07-2003 06:30 AM
mrtickle
hatted

You need to accept incoming connections.

Are you using the blackwidow guide? I should think that you should be able to follow most of the win2k instructions for XP (with caution).

The problem is that most of the serial-ppp help out there assumes a USA tivo with 3.0 software, which is different. Chris T's link should be perfect for setting up the PC side of things for XP, though!

(edit: I've just spotted that it says "This is *not* suitable if you want to hook your box up to use TivoWeb". I don't know why. It looks ok to me - perhaps it's the step 4 which sets the tivo to keep disconnection. But ignore that Step 4 - that's for the 3.0 tivo software only. Use the other guides for the tivo end.)

What happens is that the tivo calls the PC. The PC should be up and running and "listening" for an incoming call all the time. The while loop in rc.remote-login is so that the tivo keeps trying to call until the PC answers (otherwise you'd only have one chance and have to keep rebooting the tivo!)

In the bit where you tell the PC which "user" is allowed to connect, the username and password should match the ones you set up in /etc/pap-secrets . Don't use Guest, add one of your own.

Good luck!

Last edited by mrtickle on 03-07-2003 at 06:34 AM

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged