TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
>>> Tivo Series 2 Setup Problems <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jenakap is offline Old Post 04-24-2003 04:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jenakap Find more posts by jenakap Add jenakap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jenakap

Angry Tivo Series 2 Setup Problems

I ordered a Tivo Series 2 40 hour recorder from Amazon a couple of weeks back. Since it got here, I have been trying to get it setup without much luck. I have even exchanged it for a new unit and still no luck.

Guided Setup - First call goes through after a couple of attempts. But the second call always fails saying "call interupted". Sometimes, it says error getting account status or error configuring.

I have a DirecTV Tivo combo unit that works on my phone line without any problems. I even tried hooking up the new unit to the same phone jack and use the same phone wire as my older unit. Still no luck - the call always fails.

Spent nearly 3-4 hours with Tivo support with no luck. They are completely clueless and kept telling me the same steps - power cycle and try again and blame it on my phone line.

I even tried the broadband option with dialing prefix to get past the first call but no luck.

I am running out of ideas - do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaveLessnau is offline Old Post 04-24-2003 04:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveLessnau Find more posts by DaveLessnau Add DaveLessnau to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

It would be mighty unlucky for you to get two TiVos with bad modems. So, I tend to agree with TiVo's Customer Support that the problem is somewhere besides with the TiVo. These are my generic things to try for download problems (assuming you're using TiVo's modem and not an internet connection). I've arranged them from least to most troublesome. Of course, since you're still stuck in Guided Setup, the menu trees, below, won't be right:

• Unplug your TiVo from the electrical outlet for a few minutes and plug it back in. Sometimes that will reset the modem (where rebooting via the menus won't).
  • Unplug the phone line at every point from (and including) the TiVo to the wall jack. If you're using a wireless modem jack, also unplug all of them. Plug them all back in.
  • Use a new/different phone cord.
  • Plug into a different phone jack.
  • If you have a DSL line, go to Radio Shack (or whatever is handy) and pick up a DSL micro-filter for $7-$10 and place it between the phone cord and the phone jack (if that doesn't help, try it between the TiVo and the phone cord). There have been several posts here about the ones provided by the telephone companies not working. I've seen good reports on those made by 2Wire.
  • Remove everything else from your phone line throughout the house and try again. If successful, add them back one by one (that way, you'll find the culprit).
  • Plug the phone line into that little box the phone company has outside your house. Disconnect the house and either run a very long phone line from your TiVo to it, or physically drag your TiVo and a monitor out there. If it works out there, then you probably have a problem with your internal wiring.
  • In Messages & Setup -> Recorder & Phone Setup -> Phone Connection -> Change Dialing Options (3.x or less) or TiVo Messages & Setup -> Settings -> Phone & Network Setup -> Edit Phone or Network Settings -> Phone Dialng Options (4.0), set the Phone Available and the Dialtone Detection options to OFF.
  • If you have call waiting, add the Call Waiting Prefix to turn it off (usually *70). If you don't have Call Waiting, don't include that Prefix -- it's been known to interfere with non-Call-Waiting enabled calls.
  • If you have a DirecTiVo, add ",#034" (PAUSE ENTER 0 3 4)) to the Dial Prefix area of Change Dialing Options. That forces the modem to try to connect at a slower speed (only works with DirecTiVos).
  • If available, you can also try a different dial in number: maybe the problem's actually at the server. Here's the website for finding those numbers if you can't get an alternative via Phone Dialing Options. To manually enter a number, just put it into the Dialing Prefix area.
  • With the Phone Available Detection and the Dialtone Detection options OFF, try picking up another phone and listen in while TiVo dials out. If it doesn't sound like a clear line, then line noise is your problem. You'll have to find the source of the noise and get it fixed. If the modems don't sound like they're handshaking and connecting properly, and you've tried alternate numbers as above, then I'd say your modem is dead.
  • Go to that same Radio Shack (or whatever) and buy a wireless modem for $60-$70.
  • If you determine your modem is truly dead, you can either repair it or use a TurboNET card to connect via the internet (that's for the original TiVos -- the Series2s just need a USB Ethernet card and at least version 3.0, BUT the DirecTiVo HDVR2 with 3.x can't do this at all). A good starting point for repairing it is here (and, of course, TiVo Customer Service (see http://www.tivo.com/4.2.4.asp )). Here's a link to the TurboNET card. If you go with internet access and have version 3.x, here's the thread that tells you how to get started. Some people have also gotten their old external modems to hook up to the TiVo's serial port. Here's that thread. And, if your TiVo is grabbing the phone line and preventing any calls in/out, one person said that plugging the TiVo phone line into a phone line surge suppressor fixed that. It's worth a try.

TiVo TCD240080 w/ Belkin F5D5050 USB Ethernet Adapter and 160GB 7200RPM Samsung SP1604N drive (150hrs 53mins @ Basic) with 4.0.1 Philips HDR112 w/ TurboNET and 120GB 5400 RPM Maxtor drive (145hrs 6mins @ Basic) with 3.0. Both hooked through powerlines to the internet via LinkSys PLEBR10 PowerLine EtherFast 10/100 Bridges, a D-Link DSS-5+ Switch, a SonicWall SOHO3 Internet Security Appliance, and finally a Toshiba PCX1100U Cable Modem (PCX DOCSIS)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jenakap is offline Old Post 04-25-2003 02:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jenakap Find more posts by jenakap Add jenakap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jenakap

Thank you for the detailed response to my question. I have already tried most of your suggestions but there are a couple of options I haven't tried.

I used the dialing prefix ,#401 and connected the Tivo2 to my router (I have cable internet). The router lights up as does the adapter. However, when I try to dial out it does not work. My router is set to DHCP - does it need to go directly on to my cable modem? I am using the Netgear FA120 as my USB Network adapter. I tried power cycling but that doesnt help.

Is there some way to find out what version of the software my tivo has given that I haven't been able to complete even the guided setup?

I am going to try hooking the telphone wire directly to the box outside my house or perhaps carry it to a friends house. Any suggestions?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaveLessnau is offline Old Post 04-25-2003 03:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveLessnau Find more posts by DaveLessnau Add DaveLessnau to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

Assuming your 40hr TiVo is the TCD240040, then it ships with version 3.2. Because of that, you'll only be able to run the initial Guided Setup via broadband if your USB Ethernet adapter comes off this list:

• 3Com USB Ethernet 3C460B (I've seen posts that this works)
  • ABOCOM USB 10/100 Fast Ethernet
  • ABOCOM USB HPNA/Ethernet
  • ACCTON USB 10/100 Ethernet Adapter
  • ACCTON SpeedStream USB 10/100 Ethernet
  • ADMtek ADM8511 Pegasus II USB Ethernet
  • ADMtek AN986 Pegasus USB Ethernet (eval. board)
  • Allied Telesyn AT-USB100
  • Belkin F5D5050 USB Ethernet (I've seen posts that this works)
  • Billionton USB-100
  • Billionton USBE-100
  • Billionton USBEL-100
  • Billionton USBLP-100
  • Compaq iPAQ Networking 10/100 USB (I've seen posts that this works)
  • Corega FEter USB-TX
  • D-Link DSB-650
  • D-Link DSB-650TX (I've seen posts that this works)
  • D-Link DSB-650TX(PNA)
  • Elsa Micolink USB2Ethernet
  • Farallon NetLINE USB 10/100 Ethernet Adapter (I've seen posts that this works)
  • Hawking UF100 10/100 Ethernet
  • IO Data USB ET/TX
  • IO Data USB ET/TX-S
  • Kingston KNU101TX Ethernet
  • Laneed USB Ethernet LD-USB/T
  • Laneed USB Ethernet LD-USB/TX
  • Linksys USB100TX (I've seen posts that this works)
  • Linksys USB10TX
  • Linksys USB USB10TX
  • Linksys USB100M (I've seen posts that this works)
  • Melco/Buffalo LUA2-TX
  • Melco/Buffalo LUA-TX
  • Siemens SpeedStream USB 10/100 Ethernet (I've seen posts that this does NOT work)
  • Smartbridges smartNIC 2 PnP Adapter
  • SMC 202 USB Ethernet (I've seen posts that this works)
  • SOHOware NUB100 Ethernet

From some of the posts I've seen, it looks like once you get 4.0 on the machine, that Netgear FA120 should work fine.

TiVo TCD240080 w/ Belkin F5D5050 USB Ethernet Adapter and 160GB 7200RPM Samsung SP1604N drive (150hrs 53mins @ Basic) with 4.0.1 Philips HDR112 w/ TurboNET and 120GB 5400 RPM Maxtor drive (145hrs 6mins @ Basic) with 3.0. Both hooked through powerlines to the internet via LinkSys PLEBR10 PowerLine EtherFast 10/100 Bridges, a D-Link DSS-5+ Switch, a SonicWall SOHO3 Internet Security Appliance, and finally a Toshiba PCX1100U Cable Modem (PCX DOCSIS)

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jenakap is offline Old Post 04-27-2003 06:24 PM
jenakap

Well, I finally carried my tivo to a friends place and tried it out there. To my surprise, it worked. So, it has to be something in my line which is really wierd because my other tivo doesnt have any problems with the line. I am trying to use DSL noise filter in my line even though I dont have DSL to see if that makes a difference in keeping the connection up.

Thanks for the list of adapters. I'm going to get one of those and try to get my tivo on the internet.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ScottLindner is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 05:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ScottLindner Find more posts by ScottLindner Add ScottLindner to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ScottLindner

I'm having a related problem. I just bought the very same TiVo unit the original poster has. I bought the Linksys USB200M because that is one of the two recommended USB adapters on TiVo's website for this TiVo unit and software version. When I connected it the Setup options don't include the Network settings. It only mentions the phone dial up. Do you know what it takes to get those options to be enabled?

Cheers,
Scott

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 05:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by ScottLindner
I'm having a related problem. I just bought the very same TiVo unit the original poster has. I bought the Linksys USB200M because that is one of the two recommended USB adapters on TiVo's website for this TiVo unit and software version. When I connected it the Setup options don't include the Network settings. It only mentions the phone dial up. Do you know what it takes to get those options to be enabled?

The "Phone & Network Settings" item on the menu is part of version 4 of the TiVo software. If you have a Series 2 which came with an earlier version, it should be updated on the call after you run guided setup (not the calls during guided setup).

In order for the item on the menu to say "Phone & Network Settings" a TiVo running version 4 or higher must detect a supported USB adapter plugged into its USB ports.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ScottLindner is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 05:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ScottLindner Find more posts by ScottLindner Add ScottLindner to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ScottLindner

I got it. Just to make sure I COMPLETELY understand... I gotta call again to get the new menus, right?

Grr... I'm doing this because it's a gift to my parents. They live in an area where they have to make a long distance phone call. They have broadband so it seemed like a natural thing to do. Bummer that they are still shipping units that are so incredibly new but have such old software.

Thanks for the help.

Scott

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jenakap is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 05:35 PM
jenakap

You dont need to ever hook up a phone line to it. Just get one of the adapters in the list. I think someone posted the list on this or another thread on this forum.

The only problem is that you have to find these adapters and they were pretty hard to find when I was looking for them.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ScottLindner is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 05:44 PM
ScottLindner

I've tried that but I don't get the Network options in the Setup pages. I got the Linksys USB200M which is explicitly stated as supported by this unit and software version on the TiVo website. Any thoughts how to get the Network options to show up? I have software version 3.2

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 05:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

You have an adapter that's supported, but you need to get the TiVo to update it's software. So force it to make another call and it should come down. It will take 30-60 minutes to download all of it. When it's done, you should see "Restart Pending" on the Phone settings and/or System Information screens. You can force the unit to restart and it will process the update and restart again when it's finished.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jenakap is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 05:55 PM
jenakap

I called Tivo and asked them to push the update to my box. However, they said that all they could do was put my box on a priority queue which meant I would get the new update within 5-7 days.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 06:04 PM
bedelman
Call me Bob

You don't need one of the newer updates, all you need is version 4 -- the same version that's been around for a long time will do for your adapter.

I don't think it will take 5-7 days. I think most people have reported that they got it on the call immediately following the guided setup calls.

There's some discussion on whether the unit needs to be subscribed in order for it to qualify to get the update.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ScottLindner is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 06:29 PM
ScottLindner

My unit has v3.2 on it. I wonder why they are still selling units with such old software? I bought it less than two weeks ago.

I haven't paid for service yet. I wonder if that could be the issue. I didn't set it up until a couple of days ago and was waiting to pay for service until after setting everything up. Seems like they want it the other way around. Which kind of goes against the intent for the seven days of free service.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 06:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

You have old stock. I bought, at Costco, an 80-hour unit for my dad two weeks ago and it had 4.01 already.

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ScottLindner is offline Old Post 12-31-2003 06:54 PM
ScottLindner

GRRrrrr

Guess that's what I get for buying it in the same damn middle of BFE area that my parents live in. Thanks for the help.

Scott

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged