TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> Will TiVo ever make a TiVo DVD-RW for USB <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MediaLivingRoom is offline Old Post 07-09-2003 04:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MediaLivingRoom Visit MediaLivingRoom's homepage! Find more posts by MediaLivingRoom Add MediaLivingRoom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

Question Will TiVo ever make a TiVo DVD-RW for USB

I would like to see a TiVo accessory like a DVD-RW recorder that connects for the USB 2.0 Port for creating back-ups for current Series 2 owners.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 07-09-2003 06:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

Two reason why I think they wont ever offer something like this....

a) Pioneer wont want the competition, especially if it's cheaper.

b) Not all Series 2 units have USB 2.0 ports and I don't think USB 1.1 is fast enough to keep up with a DVD burner, even at 1x, while also doing network tasks available via the current HMO package. (DVD 1x is about 11Mbps, USB 1.1 runs at a maximum of 12MBps)

Although it's possible that they could offer an upgrade that would allow current Series 2 units to record in the format needed by the Pioneer unit. Which would allow you to transfer shows to one of these new units via HMO, and record them to DVD that way.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rogo is offline Old Post 07-09-2003 10:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rogo Find more posts by rogo Add rogo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rogo
Advanced Member

DVDs don't need to be 11Mbps, though... and could record in slower than real time soon. I've never seen the bit-rate indicator on my DVD player above the 9s.

Oh, I agree Tivo wouldn't enter this business.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MediaLivingRoom is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 09:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MediaLivingRoom Visit MediaLivingRoom's homepage! Find more posts by MediaLivingRoom Add MediaLivingRoom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
Two reason why I think they wont ever offer something like this....

a) Pioneer wont want the competition, especially if it's cheaper.

b) Not all Series 2 units have USB 2.0 ports and I don't think USB 1.1 is fast enough to keep up with a DVD burner, even at 1x, while also doing network tasks available via the current HMO package. (DVD 1x is about 11Mbps, USB 1.1 runs at a maximum of 12MBps)

Although it's possible that they could offer an upgrade that would allow current Series 2 units to record in the format needed by the Pioneer unit. Which would allow you to transfer shows to one of these new units via HMO, and record them to DVD that way.

Dan

Do you think TiVo will make a verson with Firewire?

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 11:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by rogo
DVDs don't need to be 11Mbps, though... and could record in slower than real time soon. I've never seen the bit-rate indicator on my DVD player above the 9s.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that all DVD burners on the market have a minimum speed of 1X. Anything less will result in a buffer underrun and a coaster.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 07-10-2003 11:19 PM
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by MediaLivingRoom Do you think TiVo will make a verson with Firewire?

I doubt it. FireWire costs more to license, requires more expensive hardware, and is actually a little slower the USB 2.0. And even on the off chance that they did it would probably only be used for allowing input of digital video, and not for any sort of peripheral attachment.

Dan

All with Lifetime

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zathrus is offline Old Post 07-11-2003 01:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zathrus Find more posts by Zathrus Add Zathrus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zathrus

The HDTiVo should have Firewire. Otherwise they're going to have issues connecting to HD cable boxes, and probably to some HDTVs.

But that's unlikely to solve the issue you're looking at here.

And, yes, if you don't supply data to a DVD burner at the speed it's burning at, you're going to have a coaster.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 07-13-2003 01:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Zathrus
The HDTiVo should have Firewire. Otherwise they're going to have issues connecting to HD cable boxes, and probably to some HDTVs.

But that's unlikely to solve the issue you're looking at here.

And, yes, if you don't supply data to a DVD burner at the speed it's burning at, you're going to have a coaster.

sorry wouldnt hold your breath.

The hdtivo wont record from a cable box- just OTA. And they can avoid the whole issue of dvi/hdmi/firewire on the output by doing palin old component and probably work on every tv.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 07-13-2003 05:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelK
The hdtivo wont record from a cable box- just OTA. And they can avoid the whole issue of dvi/hdmi/firewire on the output by doing palin old component and probably work on every tv.

Given that there's no announced HDTiVo, just a (two, really) prototypes that have been shown publicly, it's a little early to say what a shipping HDTiVo may or may not do.

And I don't know that they can just do plain old component out, especially for satellite (I'm not sure what the state of broadcast flagging is, but I do know that HD-capable DirecTV boxes can have their analog component outs disabled or limited to 480i from the head-end if the broadcaster requests it.) DVI/HDMI doesn't fall under those same restrictions, AFAIK.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MediaLivingRoom is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 12:10 AM
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

Sony can make one for the US.

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/cocoon/NDR-XR1/

Translated Specs:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...lp=ja_en&tt=url

and they offer "Play list compilation" up to 99

Last edited by MediaLivingRoom on 07-14-2003 at 12:14 AM

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 10:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Wilkinson
Given that there's no announced HDTiVo, just a (two, really) prototypes that have been shown publicly, it's a little early to say what a shipping HDTiVo may or may not do.

And I don't know that they can just do plain old component out, especially for satellite (I'm not sure what the state of broadcast flagging is, but I do know that HD-capable DirecTV boxes can have their analog component outs disabled or limited to 480i from the head-end if the broadcaster requests it.) DVI/HDMI doesn't fall under those same restrictions, AFAIK.

I stand corrected- sort of.

You are correct that the specs of a final unit are all conjecture and i should have said that. But the demo at CES was for OTA only.

I'm not sure of the real world ability to encode an mpeg stream from any output on a cable box unless somehow they output a digital stream on a coax to act like an antenna. Maybe if it had a firewire connection- but they seem to be waining. COmposite from the cable box would be tough to due, and from what i gather dvi from the able box would be all but impossible in a consumer device. For cost's sake i THINK (JMHO) they are just going to do OTA or satellite in HD as those streams are already compressed nicely into pretty mpeg streams so the tivo doesnt really have to do anything to the signal just record it.

Also just cause components would need to be down rezzed doesnt mean they wont do it. I think (again JMHO) they will wind up with an hdmi connector (the new flavor of dvi with hdcp and audio supposedly due the end of this year). Or maybe a plain old dvi but that would be a potential waste since the tivo records or plays audio also- why not stick it all on one cable.

News to me that the directv boxes components can be limited or disabled- but hey you learn something new every day. But does that mean that the ports ARE limited or downrezzed?

Hec my HDVR2 CAN do HMO but that doesnt mean Directv and Tivo ARE allowing it.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 11:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelK
News to me that the directv boxes components can be limited or disabled- but hey you learn something new every day. But does that mean that the ports ARE limited or downrezzed?

To the best of my knowledge it's never been used, but the ability is supposed to be there in the CGMS (copy generation management system) functionality.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 07-14-2003 11:43 PM
Dan203
Cyn-er

Aren't DVI ports required on all new DirecTV receivers anyway?

Dan

All with Lifetime

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 07-15-2003 12:23 AM
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
Aren't DVI ports required on all new DirecTV receivers anyway?

I beleive so, and that was my original point (that a hypothetical HDTiVo probably couldn't get away with just component out and that DVI would be needed.)

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged