TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> Standby button question <<<

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nealm is offline Old Post 07-30-2003 03:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for nealm Find more posts by nealm Add nealm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nealm

Standby button question

Does pressing the standby do anything but put the feed from Tivo to my TV into a sort of 'sleep mode'?

The reason I ask is that it seems that Tivo (logically) assumes that, if that button is pressed, I am not watching TV and, therefore, is more likely to record suggestions.

Perhaps it is just coincidence but it seems many more suggestions get recorded when I hit standby rather than doing nothing when I turn off the TV.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

voripteth is offline Old Post 07-30-2003 03:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for voripteth Find more posts by voripteth Add voripteth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
voripteth
User Advocate

As far as I can tell the only thing that StandBy actually does is let you use your TV tuner instead of TiVos. TiVo still records programs and even Live TV while in StandBy.

It certainly seems misnamed, IMHO.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LifeIsABeach is offline Old Post 07-30-2003 03:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for LifeIsABeach Find more posts by LifeIsABeach Add LifeIsABeach to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LifeIsABeach

Normally TiVo waits a certain amount of time after the last remote button press (1/2 hour?) before starting to record suggestions. When you put TiVo in stand-by mode it will start recording suggestions immediately.

Stand-by mode does have another function. It passes the coax-in to the coax-out so that you can record one program while watching another (similar to the tv/vcr function on VCRs).

Hope this helps.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 07-30-2003 04:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

We go through this from time to time...

The behavior of Standby varies by TiVo type.

Standalones:
- Turns off video and audio outputs
- Routes RF in to RF out
- Turns off front panel LEDs
- Tells the TiVo that you're not watching LiveTV, so it can record suggestions without asking

DirecTiVos:
- All of the above, plus:
- Stops recording the live buffer(s)
- Stops playback of the live buffer

As you can see, for standalones, Standby has limited usefulness, though people who have antenna/cable(no box) in can then watch live TV directly through the RF bypass. But for DirecTiVos, there is also a significant reduction in disk activity, which some may find beneficial.

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rsnaider is offline Old Post 07-30-2003 05:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rsnaider Find more posts by rsnaider Add rsnaider to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rsnaider
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by stevel

As you can see, for standalones, Standby has limited usefulness

Not when you have a bright blue nightlight in your bedroom AKA SVR 3000.

TiVo | SERlES2 - 302 Hrs
TiVo | SONY SVR3000 - 273 Hrs

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 07-30-2003 07:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

quote:
Originally posted by stevel
The behavior of Standby varies by TiVo type.

Standalones:

It does not turn off the red LED indicating a recording in progress. I put my standalone TiVos in and out of Standby mode all the time using an autoswitch to display the TiVo most recently turned on. I've looked over at them and seen all four of the TiVos in the stack with red LEDs on and only one with a green. They are Series1 (Philips) and Series2 standalone units.

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mbernste is offline Old Post 07-30-2003 11:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mbernste Find more posts by mbernste Add mbernste to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mbernste

OK, I am looking at my remote and nowhere do I see a standy button. I would love to have a button. Its such a pain in the neck to hit TiVo->setup->standby every time I want to put the thing in standby mode.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeekiM is offline Old Post 07-30-2003 11:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MikeekiM Find more posts by MikeekiM Add MikeekiM to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeekiM

My Sony SAT-T60 has a standby button on the remote...

My Hughes HDVR2 does not have a standby button on the remote...I have to put it in standby via the TiVo main menu...

Hmmm...If I get a universal remote, is there anyway to set an IR signal to the Hughes to go into standby?

Universal Remote: One For All - URC6131
Xantech Xtra Link2 (Remote Extender)
ChannelPlus 3025 Modulator/Video Distribution

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drew2k is offline Old Post 07-30-2003 11:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for drew2k Find more posts by drew2k Add drew2k to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drew2k
!revetahW

Mshiu - IIRC you posted in another thread about getting a 6131 universal remote? If you did, you can use key move to make a standby button. I assigned it to the SLEEP button on my 6131.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ADent is offline Old Post 07-30-2003 11:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ADent Find more posts by ADent Add ADent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ADent

The AT&T S2.0 (USB1.1) SA TiVo peanut remotes have a Standby button on them.

Get that IR code and any peanut based (ie non-Sony) unit should respond.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 12:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

How I wish I had ordered an AT&T peanut remote when they were still available at the TiVo Store.

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeekiM is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 02:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MikeekiM Find more posts by MikeekiM Add MikeekiM to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeekiM

quote:
Originally posted by drew2k
Mshiu - IIRC you posted in another thread about getting a 6131 universal remote? If you did, you can use key move to make a standby button. I assigned it to the SLEEP button on my 6131.

Yes, you RC

Very cool... Do I need the JP1 version to accomplish this?

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drew2k is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 05:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drew2k Find more posts by drew2k Add drew2k to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drew2k
!revetahW

Mshiu - No JP1 needed! You can use the 6131's key move function to assign the STANDBY function to a key.

Here's what to do:

• Press your DTV/TIVO device key (probably CBL/SAT)
  • Press and hold SET until the LED blinks twice
  • Press 9-9-4 (two blinks)
  • Press SET and release (don't hold it)
  • Enter 1-5-2 (the code for STANDBY)
  • Press SLEEP (or whatever key you are assigning the STANDBY code to) - should blink twice
  • You're done!
Now you can just tap SLEEP and put your DTivo into standby mode.

Let me know ifyou have any problems, and good luck!

In case you need them, here are all of the TIVO codes for CBL/SAT device code 1142 (or VCR device 0618):

375 Menu
695 Tivo Menu
152 Standby

372 Up
630 Down
378 Left
632 Right
505 Select

411 Enter
663 Clear
168 Exit

166 List
164 Window

377 Live TV / Guide
121 Live TV
150 Guide
635 Info5

245 Thumbs Down
503 Thumbs Up

725 Record
473 Play
??? Pause
471 Rewind
468 Fast Forward
728 Slow
726 Instant Replay
474 Jump to Live

506 Ch / Pg - Down
246 Ch / Pg - Up

665 0
341 1
601 2
599 3
347 4
596 5
344 6
342 7
602 8
405 9

Edit: Corrected typo in code!

Last edited by drew2k on 08-01-2003 at 04:35 AM

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Edmund is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 05:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Edmund Find more posts by Edmund Add Edmund to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Edmund
Remote Guru

quote:
Enter 1-5-2(the code for STANDBY)

That's better.

Last edited by Edmund on 08-02-2003 at 05:09 AM

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeekiM is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 08:09 AM
MikeekiM

Thanks drew2k/Edmond...

Now I have everything I need... Except for me 6131

I am waffling between getting the JP1 model or not... Do you guys think the 6131 is pretty flexible w/o JP1? Are you happy with it? Or do you wish you went for the JP1?

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chris Gerhard is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 03:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Gerhard Find more posts by Chris Gerhard Add Chris Gerhard to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Gerhard

quote:
Originally posted by mshiu
Thanks drew2k/Edmond...

Now I have everything I need... Except for me 6131

I am waffling between getting the JP1 model or not... Do you guys think the 6131 is pretty flexible w/o JP1? Are you happy with it? Or do you wish you went for the JP1?

Get the JP1 model if you think you will go to the trouble to learn JP1. This will give you a remote that will be ready for future equipment upgrades.

Chris

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drew2k is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 10:32 PM
drew2k
!revetahW

I now have four 6131 remotes. I bought three when they first came out, and was able to control absolutely everything (TV, receiver, Tivo, DVD, VCR, CD player) using only key moves on the remote. So you don't really need the JP1 if you're ok manually programming the remote and it does what you want.

About a month ago, however, I decided to buy a JP1-modified remote (from SurfRemoteControl.com - it included the cable too). I can now back-up everything I so painstakingly punched into the remote manually, and I can program macros throuh the IR program, which on this remote can not be done manually. The JP1 also gives access to two "phantom device" keys, suddenly upgrading the 6131 from 6 to 8 devices.

It's a little daunting and intimidating so far trying to figure out exactly how everything works with JP1, but I'm taking my time reading all of the docs at Yahoo!'s JP1 group, and eventually I'll start asking questions there.

The JP1 remote from SurfRemote, with cable, came to $47.95, but the shipping was free. When you consider what some other "intermediate" universal remotes cost, the modified 6131 is definitely worth the money.

Ps - Sorry about the typo on the live tv button code. Happy fingers got away from me!

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattack is offline Old Post 08-01-2003 03:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattack Find more posts by mattack Add mattack to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattack
Advanced Member

I'm sort of rephrasing some of the other answers.

Think of Standby on a Tivo as analogous to the TV/VCR button on a VCR remote. Both let the unit keep recording, but also pass the signal through to the TV.

This can help you avoid splitters while still being able to record and watch a different live show simultaneously. (Though by using the coax connection to the TV, *when* you are watching the Tivo's recordings, you're only getting mono sound..)

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MikeekiM is offline Old Post 08-01-2003 05:59 AM
MikeekiM

quote:
Originally posted by drew2k
I now have four 6131 remotes. I bought three when they first came out, and was able to control absolutely everything (TV, receiver, Tivo, DVD, VCR, CD player) using only key moves on the remote. So you don't really need the JP1 if you're ok manually programming the remote and it does what you want.

Someone earlier posted that the MX-500 is a good remote if you want a remote that performs 100% of the functions you need, and that the 6131 was a good remote if you were satisfied with 95%...

I think his point was in regards to replacing all of his remotes (not just the TiVo ones)...

As an owner of two DirecTivos (both of which I want on the same remote), is the 6131 a remote that can cover 100% of the functionality for these two units?

Thanks

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mmascari is offline Old Post 08-01-2003 04:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mmascari Find more posts by mmascari Add mmascari to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mmascari

quote:
Originally posted by mshiu
Someone earlier posted that the MX-500 is a good remote if you want a remote that performs 100% of the functions you need, and that the 6131 was a good remote if you were satisfied with 95%...

I think his point was in regards to replacing all of his remotes (not just the TiVo ones)...

Just to play devil's advocate here. In one of the "yellow star" threads, there was a complaint that macros to get to standby don't work when there is a TiVo promo on the menu that comes and goes. The suggestion was to use the short-cut to get to there instead of the down arrow, but the MX-500 wouldn't allow "slow" in the macro. On a 6131, (or any OFA remote) you don't need a macro to go through the menu options, but can send "standby" directly, or use it in a macro that does other stuff also. So in that case, the 6131 works better than the MX-500.

This is why on-line, you often see the MX-500 for sale with an OFA remote and JP-1 cable. The JP-1 cable and OFA remote are used to get codes the MX-500 doesn't have, and then these signals are learned on the MX-500.

I don't have an MX-500, or a 6131, but do have a Radio Shack 15-2116, which is an OFA remote, and a JP-1 cable. Once I got through learning enough about JP-1, it was worth it. When I get around to buying another remote, it will probably be a JP-1 capable 6131. There's one key on my TV remote that I haven't put on the 15-2116 yet, and I use it less than twice a year, so I don't mind getting out the TV remote.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged