TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
>>> Stuck on "Almost there. Just a few minutes more..." <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
alee is offline Old Post 08-03-2003 02:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for alee Find more posts by alee Add alee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alee

Stuck on "Almost there. Just a few minutes more..."

My 234 hr TiVo is no longer booting up. It's stuck on the "Almost there. Just a few minutes more..." screen.

Just has an extra HD, no other special hacks or anything. It has been running fine for several months with no incidents. Rebooted the unit today because of a HMO problem, and it was stuck.

Have done 4 or 5 reboots since then with no success. Is my unit hosed or is there some way I can work around it?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 08-03-2003 03:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

The usual causes of this problem are a failed modem or corrupt MFS partitions. Any thunder storms lately?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

alee is offline Old Post 08-03-2003 04:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for alee Find more posts by alee Add alee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alee

We had thunderstorms on Friday. TiVo is connected to a dedicated UPS. Was working fine today until I decided to reboot it by pulling the plug late Sat afternoon.

Are there services out there that will help "revive" my Series 2? Sadly we are all running laptops in this household, making it impossible for me to even attempt to hack it. No PC, no monitor.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

weaknees is offline Old Post 08-03-2003 04:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for weaknees Visit weaknees's homepage! Find more posts by weaknees Add weaknees to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
weaknees

Generally, in standalone units, problematic modems don't cause this symptom - we've only seen that in Series 1 DTiVos.

You likely have a bad drive - if you can't test/diagnose/reformat them yourselves, you'll need to either send the drives and/or unit to an upgrade vendor, or just buy a new "replace" kit from an upgrade vendor.

Michael

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

alee is offline Old Post 08-03-2003 07:10 PM
alee

quote:
[i]You likely have a bad drive - if you can't test/diagnose/reformat them yourselves, you'll need to either send the drives and/or unit to an upgrade vendor, or just buy a new "replace" kit from an upgrade vendor[/B]

I got your email last night. Thank you. Well, I have both drive A and drive B in the freezer right now... kind of a last ditch effort before I ship my unit out. I did some listening with a stethescope and it appears my drive A is clicking, so I'm hoping this old "trick" works.

Assuming my drive A is bad, I assume I'd need a new drive A and a re-blessed drive B as well? I remember from the Series 1 days that A & B were married.

Assuming drive B was bad, I would assume season passes, prefs, program data etc. would be saved but all my stored shows would be lost?

-Al

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 08-03-2003 08:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S

Actually, if this is a drive issue, you'll probably have to start from a backup. If you can get the TiVo to boot, take an MFS Tools backup ASAP - that would at least save your reocordings.

If the 'trick' doesn't work, run PowerMax on the drive and see if it can fix the bad blocks well enough to make the TiVo boot.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

alee is offline Old Post 08-03-2003 08:12 PM
alee

quote:
Originally posted by Robert S
Actually, if this is a drive issue, you'll probably have to start from a backup. If you can get the TiVo to boot, take an MFS Tools backup ASAP - that would at least save your reocordings.

If the 'trick' doesn't work, run PowerMax on the drive and see if it can fix the bad blocks well enough to make the TiVo boot.

Unfortunately, with no desktop PC (all laptops here), I can't do anything.

Looks like Weaknees will be probably be getting my business.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

weaknees is offline Old Post 08-03-2003 10:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for weaknees Visit weaknees's homepage! Find more posts by weaknees Add weaknees to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
weaknees

Sorry/glad to hear it, I guess.

As far as the question about a new blessed B drive - any expanded A drive needs a PC to set it to accept a B drive (and at that point it wont run without a B drive) so if you want the capacity of two drives, you'll need to get both formatted together.

Michael

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

alee is offline Old Post 08-03-2003 10:47 PM
alee

quote:
Originally posted by weaknees
Sorry/glad to hear it, I guess

LOL. Looks like you guys will be getting my TiVo on Tues.

I dug my old 14hr out of storage and activated it for a month, so I won't be out of commission. That'll teach me for getting rid of my last desktop earlier this year.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged