TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> HMO with Linux (any updates) <<<

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tpahl is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 06:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tpahl Visit tpahl's homepage! Find more posts by tpahl Add tpahl to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tpahl

HMO with Linux (any updates)

I have seen some posts in the past regarding this but nothing really great or up to date. Does anyone have any new information on an easy to install/configure linux program that acts as a server for either photos, or mp3s or both?

Travis

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zathrus is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 06:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zathrus Find more posts by Zathrus Add Zathrus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zathrus

Are you having problems using either byRequest or ptivohmo? If so, post them here (for byRequest) or on the ptivohmo mailing-list.... I've been using ptivohmo for several months without significant issue. Keep meaning to try byRequest.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgc is offline Old Post 07-31-2003 10:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgc Find more posts by dgc Add dgc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgc

To reach the point where byRequest, ptivohmo, (or the python or php tivo server projects) are really "easy" to install and configure, I suspect we need rpm (or .deb, or whatever) packages built, with some kind of an easy config file builder.

I'm thinking of some sort of a "manager" program with file selector (or something similar) dialogs to select directories to export; some sort of validation so that if you say a directory has audio or image files, the "manager" checks that they are actually there and accessible, etc.

It could even check the local system to see if ogg, wma, ra, rtp, (or whatever formats the backend server can convert and send to tivo) etc. files or streams could be handled and automatically make the appropriate entries.

The "manager" program could even have a way to enter url's to internet radio stations, validate that they work, and encapsulate them for the backend server.

I may start prototyping something like this for "byRequest" soon...

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tpahl is offline Old Post 08-04-2003 02:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tpahl Visit tpahl's homepage! Find more posts by tpahl Add tpahl to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tpahl

tivo linux needs rpm

Yeah, I was looking for an RPM really. I have installed programs without on linux but really it is hit or miss for me. If everything goes okay, it works. If not I can sometimes after a day or two of futzing around get it to work but the majority of the time 80% if it does not work right away I am just not skilled or patient enough to get it to work. So I was really hoping for an RPM which work for me much more often.

Travis

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tpahl is offline Old Post 08-04-2003 04:20 AM
tpahl

well I am trying to get byRequest to work and am not having much luck.

Right now I have my netweork setup as follows... cable modem --> mandake 9.1 box-->Hub-->TIVO & WiN XP box.

The Win XP box can publish using TIVO desktop fine. Tivos IP is 192.168.1.253 and the windows box is 192.168.1.252. Tivo also is updating fine through the network. So I do not think network configuration is the problem.

I have downloaded byrequest v.41 and edited the byRequest.conf to have a line saying

audio: "TP MP3s" /mnt/win_c/Music

and then ran make (after installing gcc). It did not give me any errors so that seemed like a good sign. Oh I installed as SU by the way. Was that wrong? anyways after that I went back to my login and typed in byRequest and got the error asking for a config file so i typed in

byRequest byRequest.conf and it gave no error. ps -A confirmed it was running.

Unfortunatly Tivo was not able to find it. I tried typing in what I beleive to be the IP address of my linux box on the tivo manual enter thing (but I get confused when there are multiple net cards on it as I have 2). the IP i tried was 192.168.1.1 But it still could not find anything. Any suggestions?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgc is offline Old Post 08-04-2003 09:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgc Find more posts by dgc Add dgc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgc

If I understand your description correctly, you seem to say there are two network cards on your box. If that's correct, the problem is that the wrong one was picked. The easiest fix at the moment is to modify the source code to specify the broadcast address (near the top of the main program).

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgc is offline Old Post 08-04-2003 11:11 PM
dgc

I think the beacon is sent initially every two minutes, and eventually every ten minutes. That seemed to be enough for me, but it's easy to change. It might be worth putting in the configuration file.

It would probably be best to check for relative pathnames in any filename picked up from a playlist.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tpahl is offline Old Post 08-05-2003 04:32 AM
tpahl

Change broadcast in byRequest

Okay, I am not the greatest at editing programs. I DID try, but I can not find where to manually change the broadcast address that byRequest uses. I appreciate the help so far, just one more hint please!

Travis

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tpahl is offline Old Post 08-05-2003 05:06 AM
tpahl

Hmm... Okay i found the line that I THINK i needed to change. At least it compiled which was better than I was doing before. I changed the line...

from
bcast.sin_addr = bcast_address;

To
bcast.sin_addr = 192.168.1.255;

And 192.168.1.255 i got from ifconfig....

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:10:B5:0C:BC:16
inet addr:192.168.1.1 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

HELP!!!

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tpahl is offline Old Post 08-05-2003 05:23 AM
tpahl

Two more questions on a related subject...

I have heard of people manually entering in the IP for other computers not on their network and being able to share pictures and music. Shouldn't this mean that I should If i enter both IPs of the cards in my computer into TIVO, one of them should work? Well they do not which has me thinking that perhaps linux is preventing tivo from recieving the signal becuase of some firewall setting. I am going to look into what my mandrake install set up for me in terms of sercurity and see if this is the problem. Does this sound like the right track to anyone else?

Travis

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgc is offline Old Post 08-05-2003 06:14 AM
dgc

No, that's not the right change. Someone else a month or two said they had done that; they may pop up. In the meantime I'll research the correct way to handle multiple interfaces; once that seems correct I'll release a test version.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tpahl is offline Old Post 08-05-2003 08:44 AM
tpahl

I just noticed one new thing. In windows the TIVO Server has a menu choice Server --> Tivo Server Options. At the bottom of the window that pops up is Network Identification which lets you select which NIC the TIVO will look for. This may help you in your research on how to handle multiple interfaces. I wish I could help more in the research. Anyways the other thing I noticed was that it was looking at the non 192.168 number.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgc is offline Old Post 08-05-2003 10:32 AM
dgc

http://www.easystreet.com/~dgc/byRequest-0.42.tar.gz is a first cut at a fix for multiple networks on a system. I don't have a multiple network system currently setup, so it's hard to be sure.

If your byRequest config file (e.g. byRequest.conf) doesn't have a "network:" line, it should work as before. If it does, the argument word on the line should be the name of the interface (for example, eth0), or the address of the network (for example, 192.168.1.0). Based on network argument, the server tries to find the broadcast address for that network, and use that for the beacon. That "should" fix the beacon system....

This version also has the patches from slj and dcharno.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zathrus is offline Old Post 08-05-2003 07:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zathrus Find more posts by Zathrus Add Zathrus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zathrus

dgc, any possibility/interest in setting up a SourceForge project for byRequest? It'd give you/us CVS access, a mailing list, and even forums. Might make handling patches and such a bit easier.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgc is offline Old Post 08-05-2003 08:07 PM
dgc

Possibly. How do you go about setting up a SourceForge project?

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zathrus is offline Old Post 08-05-2003 08:19 PM
Zathrus

Read this -- I think that's the basics for starting a project. Beyond that, I don't really know -- I've used many SF projects, but never set one up myself. It is free.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JamesRusso is offline Old Post 08-06-2003 03:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JamesRusso Find more posts by JamesRusso Add JamesRusso to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JamesRusso

Cool byRequest working!

Just got byRequest working, and I am now able to watch my webcam from the tivo. Very neat indeed.. Great piece of software.

A cool feature would be to have the ability to put in a directory full of urls for images, and have byRequest fetch the images on your behalf. This could be used for a bunch of things like webcams all over the world, real time weather images (byRequest author's idea), etc. Right now I have the webcam image on the same machine as byRequest. I setup a looping slideshow on the directory with one image in it and bam! auto updating webcam on the tivo.. very very neat.

take care,

-jr

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tpahl is offline Old Post 08-06-2003 07:12 AM
tpahl

Cool

javascript:smilie('')Well, unfortunately this did not help. Same results. I tried changing the network line to 4 different configurations...

network: 66.65.73.90
network: 192.168.1.1
network: eth0
network: eth1

and all four attempts resulted in the same results as before. here is a paste of my ifconfig. Maybe there is something here that is wrong that I do not recognize.

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:09:5B:03:60:4C
inet addr:66.65.73.90 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.254.0
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:8825 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2970 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:1397206 (1.3 Mb) TX bytes:422925 (413.0 Kb)

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:10:B5:0C:BC:16
inet addr:192.168.1.1 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:420 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:425 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:68107 (66.5 Kb) TX bytes:75159 (73.3 Kb)
Interrupt:11 Base address:0xe000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:341 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:341 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:38292 (37.3 Kb) TX bytes:38292 (37.3 Kb)

Sorry to be such a pest, but I feel I am close and can not give up! Compared to typical where I am so far away from getting something to work that I just quit.

Travis

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgc is offline Old Post 08-06-2003 08:17 PM
dgc

Yep, I agree that the current "network" config keyword doesn't help the multiple network problem, and if used can hurt a system with a single network. It requires a bit more thought.

http://www.easystreet.com/~dgc/byRequest-0.43.tar.gz has the two patches from yesterday (to a debug log statement in config.c, and another streaming patch to audio.c from slj).

On the multiple network problem, could you send the address used by the tivo and the server? Are the symptoms that the server never appears on the tivo? What happens if you enter the address of the server manually on the tivo?

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tpahl is offline Old Post 08-07-2003 07:24 AM
tpahl

Well the Tivo has been getting its IP from the DHCP server which has generally been I think eitehr 192.168.1.253 or 192.168.1.254 if I remember right. It is wierd that it has been handing out the last numbers rather than just 1, 2, 3, ect... Anyways I am about to try giving it a static IP becuase of another problem I have been having.

see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=125552

As for the server IP it is either 192.168.0.1 or the the IP that is being assigned by my ISP. That is part of my problem. I do not know which it shoudl be. So I end up having to try both all the time.

The symptoms is that the server does not appear on TIVO at all. Not by itself or when I type in the IPs. (I try both since I do not know which should/work. When I am in windows and look at the tivo publisher settings it is displaying the 66.65.xxx.xxx address that I am getting assigned by my ISP.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged