TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Medical Jargon - What does "de-tack" and "throwing PVCs" mean? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ehopper is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 06:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ehopper Visit ehopper's homepage! Find more posts by ehopper Add ehopper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ehopper
Out for repairs

Medical Jargon - What does "de-tack" and "throwing PVCs" mean?

I heard these during my angiogram Friday (coupled with a funny feeling in the chest). Anyone know what they mean?

WebMD (which I find the biggest and most useless web site I've ever seen) is worthless on answering this question. I can't even find a medical glossary on this overblown phony of a site.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnJr is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 07:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnJr Find more posts by JohnJr Add JohnJr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnJr
Blown, cold, over.

I dunno, Ed, but are you really going in for heart surgery next week? If so, please know all our best thoughts and prayers will be with you.

-John

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tori is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 07:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tori Find more posts by Tori Add Tori to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tori
TiVo Forum Special Member

Perhaps you heard
v-tach = ventricular tachycardia

pvc = preventricular contractions

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

harvscar is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 07:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for harvscar Find more posts by harvscar Add harvscar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harvscar
Advanced Member

http://home.earthlink.net/~avdoc/in...ythm/hrvpbs.htm

Don't know about de-tack though.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tori is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 07:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tori Find more posts by Tori Add Tori to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tori

Here is a link about different types of arrhythmias.

Best wishes for your surgery next week. Ask you doctors every question you want to, and make sure they answer. Get the information you need to be sure you understand what is going on to an extent you are comfortable making decisions about your treatment.

Cardiac care has advanced rapidly. Surgery is always very scary, but current statistics are overwhelmingly in your favor. Supporting not only that you'll make it through just fine, but that you will come through with your heart in better condition than it has been for more than a decade. It is like a fountain of youth.

-Tori

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ehopper is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 07:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ehopper Visit ehopper's homepage! Find more posts by ehopper Add ehopper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ehopper
Out for repairs

Yes, I am having surgery "soon". I think this week. But that won't be settled until Tuesday.

I've had a heart murmur for at least 20 years. I was told 10 years ago that I would eventually have to have a heart valve replaced. Well, eventually has arrived.

They took echocardiograms earlier this summer, and they seemed OK. So, after a stress test indicated something was wrong, I went in for an angiogram. But my blood vessels were clear. No blockage. So, the murmur and the valve were suspect again. I had a cat-scan on Saturday (I was kept in the hospital overnight) and that showed a need for the valve replacement and an aortic anyuerism.

This problem has been going on, getting progressively worse. It started two years ago, as I noticed I was out of breath, tired easily. I tried to start an exercise program in May, but the gym wanted a medical clearance. I went to the doctor, but I didn't get one. Instead, we've been doing tests and so on all summer. (lots of reasons it took so long).

So, that, in short, is the story...

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ehopper is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 07:20 AM
ehopper
Out for repairs

quote:
Originally posted by Tori
Perhaps you heard
v-tach = ventricular tachycardia

pvc = preventricular contractions

Thanks Tori. Very helpful.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnJr is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 07:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnJr Find more posts by JohnJr Add JohnJr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnJr
Blown, cold, over.

Welp, good luck Ed. I had murmers in childhood, but don't have them anymore. Now I just have "smokers heart" lol. Anyway, again good luck and keep us informed, please.

-John

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LiveBlues is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 07:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LiveBlues Find more posts by LiveBlues Add LiveBlues to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

We'll be thinking of you Ed. We're here if you need us.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

murgatroyd is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 07:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for murgatroyd Find more posts by murgatroyd Add murgatroyd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murgatroyd

I prefer MEDLINEPlus at the NIH site

Ventricular tachycardia:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...icle/000187.htm

Medline entry on Heart Murmurs:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...icle/003266.htm

The NIH site is especially useful because it has a spell-checker. Hope these pages and others in MEDLINEPlus will be useful to you.

I wish you the best possible outcome for any procedure or treatment you undergo.

Jan

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ehopper is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 05:32 PM
ehopper
Out for repairs

quote:
Originally posted by JohnJr
Welp, good luck Ed. I had murmers in childhood, but don't have them anymore. Now I just have "smokers heart" lol. Anyway, again good luck and keep us informed, please.

-John

Well, my murmur is apparently "textbook". The cardiologist called his PA in to listen to me as a teaching exercise. I was so proud.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

IJustLikeTivo is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 06:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for IJustLikeTivo Find more posts by IJustLikeTivo Add IJustLikeTivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IJustLikeTivo
OK, Happy Now? <vbg>

Mitral Valve Prolapse by any chance. One of my pilot friends has this done and he feels right as rain. Caused a hell of a ruckus with the ignoramouses at the FAA but he says he never felt better.

Besides, If valve replacement is god enough for Ahnold, it should be good enough for you.

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,974,00.html

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Combat Medic is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 06:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Combat Medic Visit Combat Medic's homepage! Find more posts by Combat Medic Add Combat Medic to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

All I know it that they feel wierd. Here you are taking someone's pulse and their heart skips a beat. It's goofy.

-Mike

that's a standing offer - anything I can do, anytime. Jobeth66
I spit it out on the ground (oh, how I wanted to swallow!). InigoMontoya

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PeteEMT is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 07:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PeteEMT Visit PeteEMT's homepage! Find more posts by PeteEMT Add PeteEMT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PeteEMT
$user{'title'}

Assuming you hear v-tach instead of d-tac (never heard of d-tac), v-tach basically means your heart is beating fast, over 115 beats per minute. Sustained operation at this rate is bad But brief glimpses (like running or working hard) are normal.

PVC's mean occasionally your ventricles are firing too soon. The problem with this is, they fire before they are completely filled, making them ineffective. The occasional PVC is ok, its when you get a string of them or they are frequent, trouble starts.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DanT is offline Old Post 09-01-2003 07:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DanT Find more posts by DanT Add DanT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DanT
In Absentia

An aortic aneurism is a very nasty thing. They've apparently caught it early enough, though, as you weren't immediately rushed into surgery. My stepdad's mom had one a few years ago and they helicoptered her from a hospital in Ventura CA down to USC Medical Center at 4:30 AM on a Saturday morning. She survived the surgery, but still died about 3 weeks later.

SB: "Captain, do you mind if I say Grace?"
MR: "Only if you say it out loud."

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged