TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> WUSB11 2.8 -- Should I return it? Help! <<<

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Stuart is offline Old Post 09-18-2003 11:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Stuart Find more posts by Stuart Add Stuart to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stuart

Unhappy WUSB11 2.8 -- Should I return it? Help!

I purchased a WUSB11 2.8 since the version number was not on the box. I also just checked the TiVo online store and they are out of stock of the 2.6 versions, maybe Linksys isn't making them anymore?

Anyway, what should I do? Should I return the 2.8 version and attempt to find a 2.6? Are they still available?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Smirks is offline Old Post 09-18-2003 11:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Smirks Find more posts by Smirks Add Smirks to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

No, I just bought a 2.8 (comes in a new linksys/cisco branded box) and it's working fine with my tivo and my wireless network.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Stuart is offline Old Post 09-18-2003 11:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Stuart Find more posts by Stuart Add Stuart to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stuart

But my TiVo doesn't recognize the adapter...

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Smirks is offline Old Post 09-18-2003 11:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Smirks Find more posts by Smirks Add Smirks to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smirks

Hm... don't know what to say... make sure to reset your tivo after plugging it in. Did you try both usb ports?

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Stuart is offline Old Post 09-19-2003 12:08 AM
Stuart

I did that.. there must be some sort of difference between the 2.8's out there, or maybe there's a difference in the Series 2 TiVos..

This whole experience has really upset me, I have been very happy with my TiVo and HMO up until now.. The fact that TiVo still says to go to BestBuy, Amazon, etc., while they know that they're no longer selling the 2.6 upsets me...

I would like to see some sort of statement from TiVo that they will be supporting the 2.8 in the future. Otherwise, their association with Linksys is a joke. After all, that is the reason why I went with Linksys for my WiFi solution.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GadgetGeek is offline Old Post 09-19-2003 01:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GadgetGeek Find more posts by GadgetGeek Add GadgetGeek to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GadgetGeek
TiVo/JavaHMO Rocks!

Unhappy I agree! Tivo Should help!

This is nuts! I bought a LinkSys WUSB11, turns out to be a version 2.8. Did not work. Tivo would not see it. Went back to Circuit City, returned and got the Belkin F5D6050. Same result. Drove 40 miles to a CompUSA the they had a LinkSys WUSB11 version 2.6! Yes, it works (after some playing around.) Third time is a charm!

But what really bothers me is that since various adapters only work in certain TIVO units (I have a new Series 2 running 4.0.1) Tivo could do a little testing (hey, spend the few hundred bucks!) and I would not have to waste my time, nor have to see my local retail store go though the expense of having to process two "needless" product returns.

HMO (on both)
Wireless Network
D-Link DL-711 Gateway
D-Link DL-120 Adapter
LinkSys WUSB11 Ver 2.6 Adapter
Windows 2000 Pro Server
JavaHMO

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 09-19-2003 02:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

Not all Series 2 units are created equal. Even the page at http://www.tivo.com adapters shows that some adapters will work on some series 2 units only (they use the first three digits of the TiVo Service Number, TSN, to differentiate them).

The problem is that the USB wireless adapters seem to be constantly tweaked by their respective manufacturers and with a system like TiVo where you can't simply go and install new drivers, this becomes a headache.

It's further complicated by the fact that the TiVo operating system is Linux and drivers for Linux come out later (usually well after the device has already been shipping for a while)

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 09-19-2003 10:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

Re: I agree! Tivo Should help!

quote:
Originally posted by GadgetGeek

But what really bothers me is that since various adapters only work in certain TIVO units (I have a new Series 2 running 4.0.1) Tivo could do a little testing (hey, spend the few hundred bucks!) and I would not have to waste my time, nor have to see my local retail store go though the expense of having to process two "needless" product returns.

Sorry to hear about your troubles getting an adapter to work. We actually did do months of testing on dozens of different adapters before software version 4.0 was released. That is how we compiled this list:

www.tivo.com/adapters

Unfortunately several new adapters have hit the market since 4.0 was released that use different standards or chipsets, making them incompatible with TiVo DVRs. The only adapters that will work are the ones on our list, or those using the exact chipsets and firmware.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 09-19-2003 10:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Smirks
No, I just bought a 2.8 (comes in a new linksys/cisco branded box) and it's working fine with my tivo and my wireless network.

Are you sure it is a version 2.8 adapter? Can you do me a favor and look at the label on the bottom of the adapter under the velcro sliding strip and see what it says there?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Smirks is offline Old Post 09-19-2003 07:43 PM
Smirks

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill
Are you sure it is a version 2.8 adapter? Can you do me a favor and look at the label on the bottom of the adapter under the velcro sliding strip and see what it says there?

I am almost positive it is, but I'll double check once I get home later this evening.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

spiaggia is offline Old Post 09-20-2003 07:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for spiaggia Find more posts by spiaggia Add spiaggia to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spiaggia

Brand new Series 2 TiVo and Linksys WUSB 11 version 2.8 Ordered from AMazon through link from TiVo. !st machine died after it updated software. Then after new machine updates software I find that the wireless adapter is not recognized. It Is BS that they say you are supposed to get version 2.6 when the link leads you to buy the new one and there is no way to know there is an issue until you hook it up and it does not work. I am so frustrated with TiVo!!!!! This HMO is not ready for prime time! This is not consumer friendly! I would totally give up if this was not a present for my husband and he still wants it. I did get the linksys wusb12 to work for those of you who also have this problem.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

airowens is offline Old Post 09-20-2003 07:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for airowens Find more posts by airowens Add airowens to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
airowens

v2.8 switcheroo

Same problem here....v2.8 doesn't work and v2.6 can no longer be found! The first adaptor we bought was a v2.6 in a box labeled v2.8. Figure that one out... It was just luck on our part. I've heard other people have had the same experience. The box may say v2.8, but you have to check the back of the actual adaptor to see what version is. When we went looking for another adaptor for our second TiVo, couldn't find v2.6 until we went to CompUSA and had the guy search back in the warehouse for returned merchandise!! He found one and it worked. Now that's scraping the bottom of the barrel. It would be nice if TiVo updated their systems to accomodate the updated adaptors, otherwise wireless home media is useless!

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 09-20-2003 09:34 PM
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

We have updated the adapter list at:

www.tivo.com/adapters

For those of you having trouble locating a WUSB11 2.6, we have added the WUSB12 to our compatible list. Note that it only works with DVRs that have TiVo service numbers starting with 230, 240, 264, and 375. If you have a TiVo DVR with starting with another prefix, I'd suggest getting one of the adapters in the "Other Wireless" section under the section for your sevice number.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

futerfas is offline Old Post 09-20-2003 09:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for futerfas Visit futerfas's homepage! Find more posts by futerfas Add futerfas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
futerfas
Advanced Member

When I went to Best Buy to get my adapter, it only said WUSB11 on the outside. I asked the guy if I could open it to see if it was the right version and it said 2.6 on the instructions on the inside. At the Best Buy website, they show what I am assuming to be the 2.8 model
so I guess my the best buy stores are updating from 2.6 to 2.8

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 09-20-2003 10:12 PM
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by futerfas
When I went to Best Buy to get my adapter, it only said WUSB11 on the outside. I asked the guy if I could open it to see if it was the right version and it said 2.6 on the instructions on the inside. At the Best Buy website, they show what I am assuming to be the 2.8 model
so I guess my the best buy stores are updating from 2.6 to 2.8

That is definitely not the 2.8 model (at least it's not like any of the ones that we tested last week). It looks like a pre-2.6 model. The 2.8 model looks identical to the 2.6 model as far as we know. The only way to tell the different is to look at the label on the bottom of the adapter under the velcro strip.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

futerfas is offline Old Post 09-20-2003 10:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for futerfas Visit futerfas's homepage! Find more posts by futerfas Add futerfas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
futerfas
Advanced Member

Ok, Never mind

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

flong2000 is offline Old Post 09-21-2003 03:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for flong2000 Find more posts by flong2000 Add flong2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flong2000

Another Victim

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill
We have updated the adapter list at:

www.tivo.com/adapters

For those of you having trouble locating a WUSB11 2.6, we have added the WUSB12 to our compatible list. Note that it only works with DVRs that have TiVo service numbers starting with 230, 240, 264, and 375. If you have a TiVo DVR with starting with another prefix, I'd suggest getting one of the adapters in the "Other Wireless" section under the section for your sevice number.

TiVoBill,

I think you're missing the point - I too have just realized (by looking under the velcro slide) that I've ordered and received a v2.8 adapter that will not function with my TiVo. And like others, I followed the link directly from the TiVo HMO Recommended Adapters site (http://www.tivo.com/4.9.9.4.asp) to Amazon.com to place the order. And as of today (09/20), the link has not been removed from the HMO site - therefore enabling other recent purchasers of the HMO to be mislead and purchase the incorrect adapter.

Luckily, I read this thread before attempting to set up my new Linksys wireless network to take advantage of my newly purchased HMO - otherwise I would be extremely irate. As it is now, I am only disappointed in TiVo and wondering whether I should take advantage of the 30-day refund for my HMO. My other two options appear to be searching for a v2.6 adapter, or purchasing a more expensive, but compatible, Linksys adapter with a lower customer rating. All the while, keeping in mind that I will have to re-package and ship the original adapter back to Amazon for a refund. Either way, I am inconvenienced to the point that I will most likely forego HMO functionality.

Unless you can tell me when v2.8 of the WUSB11 will be supported?

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 09-21-2003 10:29 AM
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

Re: Another Victim

quote:
Originally posted by flong2000
TiVoBill,

I think you're missing the point - I too have just realized (by looking under the velcro slide) that I've ordered and received a v2.8 adapter that will not function with my TiVo. And like others, I followed the link directly from the TiVo HMO Recommended Adapters site (http://www.tivo.com/4.9.9.4.asp) to Amazon.com to place the order. And as of today (09/20), the link has not been removed from the HMO site - therefore enabling other recent purchasers of the HMO to be mislead and purchase the incorrect adapter.

I didn't miss the point. I believe that we are in the process of researching availability of particular versions of the WUSB11 at specific retailers. That page should be updated shortly.

quote:

Unless you can tell me when v2.8 of the WUSB11 will be supported?

We are currently researching whether it will be possible to add support for the WUSB11 2.8. Nothing new to report at this point.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

portersa is offline Old Post 09-22-2003 05:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for portersa Find more posts by portersa Add portersa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
portersa

For what it's worth, here is what I did today in regards to USB WiFi adapters.

I bought a WUSB11 today at Best Buy to get home and find out that it's a ver 2.8 and won't work (after trying it and then searching here). When I went back to return it, I decided to dig through the shelf to see if I could find a ver 2.6...and I did! I noticed the different box immediately from the tops. The 2.6 doesn't say Cisco anywhere, and has a large green stripe along the top of the box that the 2.8s don't have.

Anyway, I thought I was all set. I got home and plugged the 2.6 in only to get the same message from my Series2 (s# starts with 140) that it didn't detect a wifi adapter. In a last ditch act of desperation after trying both USB ports, swapping cables, etc, I decided to reboot the TiVo. When it came back up it had picked up the WUSB11 and was ready to go. I punched in the appropriate WEP info and it is working great.

I'm not sure if the reboot is part of the official process, but it got me going right away.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ruc2827 is offline Old Post 09-23-2003 08:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ruc2827 Visit ruc2827's homepage! Find more posts by ruc2827 Add ruc2827 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ruc2827

There are several ways to tell which version you have based on the box:

1. WUSB11 v2.6 w/"Old-style" packaging

• Labelled as "Wireless USB Adapter"
  • Explicity labeled as "Model No. WUSB11 ver. 2.6" on the front, sides, top and bottom of the box
  • "WiFi Certified" logo on the front left of the box
2. WUSB11 v2.6 w/"New-style" packaging
  • "WiFi Certified" logo on the front left of the box
  • Version underneath the UPC in VERY small letters starts with "WUSB11 v2.6" (note, this is actually the packaging version)
3. WUSB11 v2.8 w/"New-style" packaging*
  • Does NOT have "WiFi Certified" logo on the front left of the box
  • Has Cisco logo on front of box in lower right
  • Version underneath the UPC in VERY small letters starts with "WUSB11 v2.8" (note, this is actually the packaging version)
*According to TiVoBill, a box meeting this v2.8 description may still contain a v2.6, however the coverse is not true, so you can rest assured you are getting a v2.6 if the box says v2.6 and is described as listed in description 1 or 2.

Last edited by ruc2827 on 10-23-2003 at 11:07 AM

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged