TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> !-DUAL TUNERS Report Card - Post Here-! <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Intrepid-NY is offline Old Post 09-16-2001 05:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Intrepid-NY Find more posts by Intrepid-NY Add Intrepid-NY to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Intrepid-NY

Unhappy !-DUAL TUNERS Report Card - Post Here-!

Well, I got the update and hooked up my dual LNB today. Everything seems to be working great. What a pleasure it is to record two channels at the same time, or record one while watching another. Thanks Tivo - better late than never. Keep up the good work. I've tried UltimateTV and I think Tivo is far better. Help Tivo to grow; tell a friend or family member about Tivo today!

What are your experiences with the new dual tuner capability? Post here!

--------------

Support the U.S.A.; donate a few dollars for the relief effort:

NY Firefigher's Fund http://store.yahoo.com/firedonations/

American Red Cross http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-wtc1/

Salvation Army http://store.yahoo.com/salvationarmy/

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-16-2001 05:59 AM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dontcallmekenny

i JUST finished running a 2nd cable from my dish and hooked it up - very cool. new option in the channel display allows you to switch tuners. had my hughes for less than a week and i already want to dump a second 80gb drive in there.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SmackDaddy is offline Old Post 09-16-2001 06:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SmackDaddy Find more posts by SmackDaddy Add SmackDaddy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SmackDaddy

Works great for me. Only thing I've noticed so far is that it changes channels a little slower than before (black screen, then it pops on).

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Intrepid-NY is offline Old Post 09-16-2001 06:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Intrepid-NY Find more posts by Intrepid-NY Add Intrepid-NY to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Intrepid-NY

Good Tip! When watching live TV, simply press the DOWN ARROW button to switch back and forth between tuners!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TheGeekNextDoor is offline Old Post 09-16-2001 06:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TheGeekNextDoor Visit TheGeekNextDoor's homepage! Find more posts by TheGeekNextDoor Add TheGeekNextDoor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheGeekNextDoor

Dual tuners rock. I have them enabled on both of my DirecTivos. I quickly run out of space now though. The "35" hours is more like 22 on my system. I record a lot of movies. Upstairs where I record HGTV for the wife a lot, we only get around 25. That is a far cry from 35. I guess 35 hours is if you record only the major networks like ABC, CBS, and NBC.

I have my 100 gig hard drive waiting to be put in. I might get it in tonight, but most likely tomorrow. I know it is a little more expensive that the 80 gig per megabyte, but the shipping was free, and there was no tax, and I won't have to yank it later to put a bigger drive in.

I think I'll take the extra drive out of my SA Tivo, and put it in my second direcTivo to give it a little extra space. It should come close to effectively doubling it, which I'll need when I run the second line to it!

Bryan
TheGeekNextDoor.com

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SmokeBringer is offline Old Post 09-16-2001 06:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SmokeBringer Find more posts by SmokeBringer Add SmokeBringer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SmokeBringer

quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid-NY:
Good Tip! When watching live TV, simply press the DOWN ARROW button to switch back and forth between tuners!
What's the difference between Down Arrow and Jump?

------------------
endlessly (and mindlessly) in pursuit of clarity and precision

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SmokeBringer is offline Old Post 09-16-2001 06:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SmokeBringer Find more posts by SmokeBringer Add SmokeBringer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SmokeBringer

Just got 2.5! Trying dual tuners. Down Arrow / Jump appear to do the same thing. Found a bug! MSNBC says Upcoming: MSNBC Investigates... Gives me a Record Prompt but won't let me change to that channel!!. We'll see if it clears up at 9:00PM Fox News says same thing... These 2 channels are the only ones.

Anybody else ever seem this?

------------------

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

perilous is offline Old Post 09-16-2001 07:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for perilous Find more posts by perilous Add perilous to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perilous

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by SmokeBringer:
Just got 2.5! Trying dual tuners. Down Arrow / Jump appear to do the same thing. Found a bug! MSNBC says Upcoming: MSNBC Investigates... Gives me a Record Prompt but won't let me change to that channel!!. We'll see if it clears up at 9:00PM Fox News says same thing... These 2 channels are the only ones.

Anybody else ever seem this?

Saw it on FOX last night, too, during O'Reilly Factor...

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

markl1420 is offline Old Post 09-16-2001 07:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for markl1420 Visit markl1420's homepage! Find more posts by markl1420 Add markl1420 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markl1420

Had my upgrade for 2 days now and love it! I especially like the wishlist wildcard (*). Very cool, I got very sick of having a wishlist for singular and plural versions of a word.

Anyway, the one thing I would like is a hot key on the remote in order to switch between the tuners (much like 'Enter/Jump' button switches between channels).

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwill104 is offline Old Post 09-16-2001 07:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dwill104 Find more posts by dwill104 Add dwill104 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwill104

Down arrow and Jump do not do the same thing. Down arrow always swaps tuners, while Jump just undoes the last thing you did. IF the last thing you did was swap tuners, then Jump will swap you back. IF the last thing you did was change the channel on the tuner you are watching, then Jump takes you back to the previous channel on the same tuner.

Down arrow always swap tuners. Jump may or may not.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

duotronic is offline Old Post 09-16-2001 07:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for duotronic Visit duotronic's homepage! Find more posts by duotronic Add duotronic to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duotronic

Thumbs up

Got my 2.5 update on Saturday Morning. The upgrade was very easy. 2.5 works great and is very intuitive.
I am especially pleased with my season pass manager and my 50 season passes. They has begun behaving quickly again!

Thanks TiVo!!!

------------------
Sony Sat-T60 [106 Hour] v2.5.01, Yamaha DSP-A1 & 32" Sony Tube.
Tivo: TV's Paradigm Shift.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SmokeBringer is offline Old Post 09-16-2001 07:46 PM
SmokeBringer

quote:
Originally posted by perilous:
Saw it on FOX last night, too, during O'Reilly Factor...
The 2 shows that had "Upcoming..." disappeared at 9:00 and I have not seen a re-occurrence. I DO see this every so often on the PPV channels (as one would expect if a channel that hasn't any any programming starts movie running at a certain time), but I don't ever remember seeing it on a normally scheduled channel.

------------------

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SmokeBringer is offline Old Post 09-16-2001 09:24 PM
SmokeBringer

I also discovered one other "feature" that surprised me. I was watching a show then decided to record it. Pressed record. Hit down arrow and flipped to the other tuner. I then pressed display and saw the status of the other tuner was recording. Ok fine. But then I decided to stop the recording on the other tuner (an option when you press display and arrow down to the other tuner status). It did this, but when I subsequently flipped back to the show on the other tuner (the show that I momentarily started recording and then stopped), I see that the live buffer had been dumped. This is surprising to me. I would have thought that it would left the live buffer as is.

Not a show stopper, but just something we should keep in mind. If you start a recording and stop it - the live buffer on that tuner gets dumped.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SmokeBringer (edited 09-16-2001).]

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Intrepid-NY is offline Old Post 09-17-2001 04:43 AM
Intrepid-NY

I just upgraded my DirecTivo (Version 2.5 / Dual Tuners) from 35 hours to 116 hours! I used a Maxtor 100 GB drive as the new B drive (you can't replace the A drive yet, apparently).

I followed the hinsdale instructions carefully, and everything worked fine. Very impressed with the maturity of the instructions and upgrade software (bootable CD no less).

Thanks to all who helped make this possible. I appreciate it.

For Great Upgrade Instructions: http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rik is offline Old Post 09-17-2001 06:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rik Find more posts by Rik Add Rik to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rik

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Intrepid-NY:
[B]I just upgraded my DirecTivo (Version 2.5 / Dual Tuners) from 35 hours to 116 hours! I used a Maxtor 100 GB drive as the new B drive (you can't replace the A drive yet, apparently).

I'm curious. Does the system information reflect the new recording capacity? Is that how you knew you had 116 hours? Also ... which DirecTivo unit do you have? I'd like to upgrade both of mine (one Philips and one Hughes) but I don't know if they have one or two drives in them. Can't you only upgrade the ones that have one drive or am I misinformed?

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DanHarkless is offline Old Post 09-17-2001 06:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DanHarkless Visit DanHarkless's homepage! Find more posts by DanHarkless Add DanHarkless to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DanHarkless

The dumping of the buffer when you cancel a show that's recording is not new to 2.5. That was the case in 2.0.1 as well. Yeah, it does kind of suck that they can't copy the information out of the recording buffer for that program and cede it back to the live buffer (assuming it does indeed record to different places on the disk for live TV vs. a recording). It would be a tiny bit tricky to implement, I guess, because of that copy presumably being necessary, and having to wait for it to complete then modify the buffer pointers appropriately.

[This message has been edited by DanHarkless (edited 09-17-2001).]

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Intrepid-NY is offline Old Post 09-17-2001 07:12 AM
Intrepid-NY

Rik,

You can now upgrade the recording capacity on ALL DirecTivo units (both one and two drive units).

Limitations:

Single Drive DirecTivo: Can be upgraded to Two 100 GB Drives (Total: 200 GB = 178 Hours).

Two Drive DirecTivo: The First Original Drive stays (30 GB); the second drive can be replaced with a 100 GB drive (Total: 130 GB = 116 Hours).

And, Yes, the Tivo info screen shows the total new recording time.

For detailed upgrade instructions and upgrade programs (inluding a bootable CD) see: http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/

I've tested these instructions with a 2 drive unit and had no problems. The process took three hours. Read the instructions at least twice before beginning. Please Note: These upgrades require moderately advanced computer hardware experience. If you prefer, there is a company available that will upgrade your DirecTivo here: http://www.ptvupgrade.com/

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rik is offline Old Post 09-17-2001 10:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rik Find more posts by Rik Add Rik to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rik

Thanks Intrepid. If by "moderate" hardware experience you mean that I've had my pc apart and installed items such as a cd-rw, hard drive, ethernet card, sound card etc ... then yes I guess I would have the experience to do this. If you mean something more advanced than that I'd have to think further on it. Thanks again.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsnelson is offline Old Post 09-17-2001 10:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bsnelson Visit bsnelson's homepage! Find more posts by bsnelson Add bsnelson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsnelson
TiVo Forum Special Member

I don't believe there's a public way to expand the A drive on any DirecTiVo at this time. Some have done it, but their methods remain secret (or, at least, beyond the abilities of most lay-people).

Brad

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 09-17-2001 07:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

quote:
Originally posted by DanHarkless:
Yeah, it does kind of suck that they can't copy the information out of the recording buffer for that program and cede it back to the live buffer (assuming it does indeed record to different places on the disk for live TV vs. a recording).

Bad assumption. All that's happening when you "save the buffer" is that it creates a recording and links in the existing buffer to the beginning of the recording. It doesn't copy squat. So when you end the recording, it still has to start a new buffer, because the recording is kept elsewhere. Doing a copy of several hundred megs would take a while.

------------------
<FONT size="1">All comments made in this post are my opinion and my opinion alone. Deal with it.
Otto, Zen TiVo Master - Moderator - AVS Tivo Forums - Tivo Underground, Tivo Coffee House
"The way of the portable computer user is as a stony path strewn with plugs and sockets, all the wrong size..." -- Terry Pratchett</FONT s>

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged