TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Bac news about AAC support <<<

Pages (2): « Prev 1 [2]  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
iDriveX is offline Old Post 10-23-2003 12:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iDriveX Visit iDriveX's homepage! Find more posts by iDriveX Add iDriveX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iDriveX
Neo-Trek Lover

Here's my manifesto...

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread....&postid=1657303

AirPort Express

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattman is offline Old Post 10-24-2003 06:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattman Find more posts by mattman Add mattman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattman
Deep In The Mattcave

quote:
Originally posted by LagunaSol
Hmm, I can't imagine an AAC cross-encoded to MP3 can sound as good as the original AAC. Maybe "good," but definitely not "as good." I'd at least hold on to those original files somewhere. Apple won't let you download them again when you decide the MP3 versions aren't so hot after all...

I can't argue to quality other than to say that the one song I have purchased from ITMS and converted sounded equivalent to me, but I will admit I'm not an audiophile and there certainly could be loss.

For my purposes, it was both "good" and "as good", but YMMV.

Matt

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kevinv is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 03:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kevinv Find more posts by kevinv Add kevinv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kevinv

Most likely the problems with adding AAC to the TiVo are not technical in nature, they are probably legal (i.e. Apple won't license TiVo to play AAC's. I don't think Apple is singling out TiVo for this treatment.)

Apple is probably delaying this thinking that they will be canabalizing iPod sales if they allow other devices to play AAC. Of course they maybe canabalizing Music Store sales by not licensing others for AAC (even though I own an iPod, lack of support for other devices is one reason I'm holding off buying from iTMS -- I'll just keep encoding my MP3s so they work on lots of devices.) But the profit margin on an iPod is higher (in the short term at least) than the profit on sales in iTMS....

Personally, since the TiVo doesn't really have a lot of the capabilities of another computer I don't think it should need to be authorized like one. I'd rather see it treated as a playing device like an iPod.

Oh and I still want Ogg support in TiVo. No reason it can't be supported already, no legal restrictions for it.

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LagunaSol is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 04:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LagunaSol Find more posts by LagunaSol Add LagunaSol to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LagunaSol

Actually, AAC is not Apple's property to license. Their version of DRM used on tracks from the iTunes Music Store probably is, but anyone can license AAC for use on their devices. Of course in doing so they probably don't get a big kickback and sly wink like they would from Microsoft by licensing WMA...

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 07:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

Since IloveMP3 is open source and it looks like it will convert iTMS AAC files to MP3 when it's run from an "authorized" machine and it also looks like it can convert Ogg files to MP3 --

Why couldn't you use something like IloveMP3 in combination with TiVo Desktop to send MP3 streams over to the TiVo?

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LagunaSol is offline Old Post 10-26-2003 11:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LagunaSol Find more posts by LagunaSol Add LagunaSol to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LagunaSol

IloveMP3 doesn't convert AAC to MP3 "on the fly," it reencodes the file and makes a duplicate. As kupe mentioned, you'd now have 2 copies of every song on your hard drive (not to mention all the conversion time (and LAME is SLOW!!!) just so you could play them over TiVo. That's no good. That's not how the so-called "digital hub" is supposed to work. Also there has to be some loss of quality going from one encoding scheme to another. We need native AAC playback on TiVo. They said they were working on it. So it's not a matter of why or how, but when????

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pkscout is offline Old Post 10-27-2003 03:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pkscout Find more posts by pkscout Add pkscout to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pkscout
TiVo Forum Special Member

Yea, LAME is *really* slow. I downloaded iLoveMP3 to go ahead and convert my AAC files to MP3, and it looks like LAME encodes MP3 in realtime (meaning a 5 minute song takes 5 minutes to encode).

As for why TiVo doesn't "do" AAC, there are two things. First, there's the basic AAC support itself. And if you want to play protected AAC files from the iTunes Music Store, then TiVo also has to understand FairPlay (Apple's DRM). Currently Apple hasn't licensed FairPlay to anyone, so the only things you cal use to play AAC files (without converting them) from the iTunes Music Store is iTunes (for Mac or Windows) or the iPod.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 10-27-2003 06:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

I think iLoveMP3 actually converts the AAC to AIFF (which is what a CD uses) and then back down to MP3.

As far as loss of quality goes, I don't see why this would be any difference from creating an audio CD and then re-ripping it.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LagunaSol is offline Old Post 10-27-2003 07:13 AM
LagunaSol

It wouldn't be any different than creating an audio CD and re-ripping it, but when you do that you lose quality too. Like generational loss on a copy machine, in a way. When you encode the original source in AAC, its compression scheme shrinks the size of the music file down by removing data (obviously). By creating a CD from that AAC file you don't gain any of that lost data back, you just put it in a format you can play on a regular CD player. Then you go from there to MP3, which has its own compression scheme, different from AAC, so it subsequently shrinks the file by removing additional data (in a different way than AAC). So the resulting MP3 does not have the same level of quality as the original AAC file. Going from format to format to format like that "dirties the water" as it were.

Some people may say they can't tell a difference in quality, but the loss in quality is definitely there.

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zathrus is offline Old Post 10-27-2003 10:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zathrus Find more posts by Zathrus Add Zathrus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zathrus

quote:
Originally posted by pkscout
Yea, LAME is *really* slow. I downloaded iLoveMP3 to go ahead and convert my AAC files to MP3, and it looks like LAME encodes MP3 in realtime (meaning a 5 minute song takes 5 minutes to encode).

Then either your computer is abysmally slow or something was compiled wrong with lame. I have an Athlon 1.4 that can do encoding in ~14x realtime, or rip/encode in ~7x realtime using lame. My AthlonXP 2200 does quite a bit better, again using lame.

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LagunaSol is offline Old Post 10-28-2003 03:23 AM
LagunaSol

Well, LAME must be optimized for Athon because on my dual 867-mhz G4, I get about 1.2X speed (rip/encode). I've heard PC users gripe about LAME encoding speed too.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged