TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Pioneer DVR 810H-Recording to DVD.. <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lklidonas is offline Old Post 11-03-2003 02:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lklidonas Find more posts by Lklidonas Add Lklidonas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lklidonas

Pioneer DVR 810H-Recording to DVD..

Am I correct in assuming that the only recording I can make to DVD is from the actual Pioneer HD? That is, I can not make DVD recordings of movies that reside on a 2nd TIVO DVR (networked in another room)?

Thanks.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrboo is offline Old Post 11-03-2003 05:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrboo Find more posts by mrboo Add mrboo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrboo
Advanced Member

You are correct, sir.

Let me guess, this is a deal breaker and you won't get one now.

Last edited by mrboo on 11-03-2003 at 12:06 PM

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lklidonas is offline Old Post 11-03-2003 07:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lklidonas Find more posts by Lklidonas Add Lklidonas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lklidonas

Oh not at all; I've already got one. I just realized that you can transfer to the Pioneer HD (from any room in the house), so I'll just record it that way. But either way, I love this unit.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mdscott is offline Old Post 11-03-2003 09:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mdscott Visit mdscott's homepage! Find more posts by mdscott Add mdscott to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdscott
TiVo Forum Special Member

Unless the TiVo from which you are transferring the program is also a Pioneer unit you will not be able to record the transferred program to DVD. The format used on the older units is not compatible with DVD.

mds

Mac G4 867 OS X 10.3.7

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 11-03-2003 10:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by mdscott
Unless the TiVo from which you are transferring the program is also a Pioneer unit you will not be able to record the transferred program to DVD. The format used on the older units is not compatible with DVD.

What matters is how the program was originally recorded.

If it was originally recorded on the Pioneer, it's possible to send it to a Series 2 unit on the network and delete it from the Pioneer. You can watch the program on the Series 2. At a later time, you could send it back to the Pioneer and still record it to DVD -- because it was originally recorded using the DVD-compatible encoding scheme.

(At least I think this is correct. I haven't actually tried this yet)

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lklidonas is offline Old Post 11-04-2003 02:52 AM
Lklidonas

Unfortunately, the movies I wanted to record to DVD were recorded on an older Tivo Series 2 unit; the one movie that transferred over has an option to "record to DVD"...well, I guess I'll soon see if this works. If not, I'll just make sure I record on the Pioneer in the future.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cornflakeguy is offline Old Post 11-05-2003 12:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cornflakeguy Find more posts by Cornflakeguy Add Cornflakeguy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cornflakeguy

Well THAT sucks.

How about the Pioneer Tivo treat the Series 2 recording like a broadcast and "change it over" to the Pioneer format. THEN it can be burned. I wanted to burn to DVD a lot of junk on my Tivo Series 2 I haven't off loaded yet.

CFG!

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jacques is offline Old Post 11-05-2003 11:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jacques Find more posts by jacques Add jacques to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jacques

I use the Pioneer's record from VCR/Video Camera function to record my other TiVos to the Pioneer and then burn from the Pioneer to DVD. If the original TiVo recorded at high and the Pioneer at high or best the DVD is acceptable, in my case it's at the very least equal to VHS video and a lot more convenient.

My receiver actually makes this easy. I have 4 series 1 TiVos attached along with the Pioneer to this receiver and it allows me to re-route the video in from the series 1 TiVos to the Pioneer for recording and still be able to watch something else on one of the none busy TiVos. All in all very slick.

jacques

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lpwcomp is offline Old Post 11-06-2003 08:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lpwcomp Find more posts by lpwcomp Add lpwcomp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lpwcomp

quote:
Originally posted by Cornflakeguy
Well THAT sucks.

How about the Pioneer Tivo treat the Series 2 recording like a broadcast and "change it over" to the Pioneer format. THEN it can be burned. I wanted to burn to DVD a lot of junk on my Tivo Series 2 I haven't off loaded yet.

CFG!

The only way it could do that would be to route the output of the decoder directly to the encoder. That mey not be possible.

TiVo 2 (42 Hrs)

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVotion is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 06:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVotion Find more posts by TiVotion Add TiVotion to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVotion
Misanthropic Geek

What about transferring a program from the Series 2 SA to the Pioneer, outputting the program to VCR, then recording it back to the Pioneer from the VCR and burning it from there? I'm sure you'd lose video quality and it would be a pain, but in theory this would work wouldn't it?

I haven't tried it yet with my Pioneer.

HMO / Windows XP Pro
Toshiba 42" 42H83 RP HDTV

"If the real thing don't do the trick, you better make up something quick..."

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 06:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitsap Find more posts by kitsap Add kitsap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitsap

That's a lot of extra copying steps! I think you can just plug the series2 Tivo into the Pioneer as if the series2 was a VCR, and copy the program to the Pioneer that way. At that point, you can burn the DVD. Skip the whole to/from VHS process.

(Of course, this only works if you can get the units near each other.)

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 09:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by kitsap
That's a lot of extra copying steps! I think you can just plug the series2 Tivo into the Pioneer as if the series2 was a VCR, and copy the program to the Pioneer that way. At that point, you can burn the DVD. Skip the whole to/from VHS process.

I'm thinking of doing this -- and I'll use the video distribution stuff I have so the units don't need to be near one another.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jacques is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 05:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jacques Find more posts by jacques Add jacques to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jacques

quote:
Originally posted by kitsap

That's what I just said I did above.....

jacques

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 10:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitsap Find more posts by kitsap Add kitsap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitsap

quote:
Originally posted by jacques
That's what I just said I did above.....
Oops, you're right. Sorry I missed that. ... Good answer!

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cpetkus is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 01:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cpetkus Find more posts by cpetkus Add cpetkus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cpetkus

I just noticed the new Pioneer DVD-R / Tivo unit at my local BB.

I have been searching for an answer to my questions and I think this thread has answered them, but let me ask anyhow so that I am clear on this.

1) It appears that HMO doesn't work with the 810HS, is this true?

2) If HMO DOES work on the 810HS, I can't record from my Series2 unit in the other room to the Pioneer. Is this true?

I don't want to spend $1000 on something that won't fit my needs, if this unit does everything a regular Series 2 unit can do, including HMO, and record to dvd, the only things I would ever need in my living room would be a tv, an a/v reciever, the 810HS, and my DTV box.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 01:49 AM
bedelman
Call me Bob

HMO does work (I'm using it). You do have to upgrade to TiVo Plus though. You cannot add HMO to the "free trial" of TiVo Plus either.

You can transfer programs from the Series 2 over to the Pioneer (I do it all the time). However, you cannot burn to DVD anything that wasn't originally recorded on a Pioneer unit. You can take a recording on the Pioneer and transfer it to a Series 2 (and watch it on the Series 2) -- you can then transfer it back and still burn it to DVD. This has absolutely nothing to do with any sort of copy protection. It is related to the fact that the recording modes on a Series 2 aren't compatible with DVD modes.

Some little extras on the Pioneer units include...

• Component video out
  • Record from VCR/Video Camera to the Now Playing list
  • Optical Audio output

Many of us have found the picture quality to be somewhat worse when compared to the equivalent setting on a Series 2. I've found it to be noticeable but I can live with it. If there's something I really want, I need to increase the recording quality setting.

Overall, I'm happy with my unit.

BestBuy was running a 10% off special on the Pioneer and Toshiba units recently. Problem with Best Buy is that you probably cannot actually see the picture quality there. I bought mine at a place where I could actually demo the unit -- and they met the price at Best Buy.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

Last edited by bedelman on 11-22-2003 at 02:10 AM

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cpetkus is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 01:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cpetkus Find more posts by cpetkus Add cpetkus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cpetkus

Thanks for the help!

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Peter000 is offline Old Post 11-24-2003 03:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Peter000 Find more posts by Peter000 Add Peter000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peter000

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
You can take a recording on the Pioneer and transfer it to a Series 2 (and watch it on the Series 2) -- you can then transfer it back and still burn it to DVD.

Have you actually done this? I've tried it and on my system at least, it does not work. I've tried doing it various ways as well. Stopping the recording before it was completely transferred, transferring it straight to and from the SA TiVo, and transferring it from the paused playback location.

In each case it gives me the "This has been transferred from a DVR with incompatible audio and video formats" message.

So, I think you can ONLY burn something to the Pioneer that was recorded on the Pioneer, and stayed there. Anything that was recorded on another TiVo you have to treat like a recording from a VCR, and take it through the analog inputs of the Pioneer.

Extremely limiting.

listen
get

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 11-24-2003 06:55 AM
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by Peter000
Have you actually done this? I've tried it and on my system at least, it does not work. I've tried doing it various ways as well. Stopping the recording before it was completely transferred, transferring it straight to and from the SA TiVo, and transferring it from the paused playback location.

In each case it gives me the "This has been transferred from a DVR with incompatible audio and video formats" message.

So, I think you can ONLY burn something to the Pioneer that was recorded on the Pioneer, and stayed there. Anything that was recorded on another TiVo you have to treat like a recording from a VCR, and take it through the analog inputs of the Pioneer.

Extremely limiting.

No, I hadn't tried it yet (and I tried to make it clear that I hadn't in my earlier posting in this thread). I just tried it and I got the same thing. Of course, it would probably work if I had two Pioneer units.

I wonder if this would be different at the higher quality modes like "extreme" where there is no equivalent on the Series 2.

My take on the Pioneer's current functionality is that it allows you to take programs with you (I watch stuff on my laptop during my train commute) and not much more than that.

I really hope TiVo makes some software adjustments so that I can set my Series 2 units to use the same DVD-compliant modes as does the Pioneer.

Anyone know the best way to submit a request for a future enhancement?

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 11-24-2003 12:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman

Anyone know the best way to submit a request for a future enhancement?

http://research.tivo.com/suggestions/ is the "official' enhancement suggestion mechanism.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged