TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> What TiVo stands for. <<<
Your choices are
This poll is closed.
TiVo Televison is Very outdated 1 4.00%
TiVo Totaly imaginative Visual option 0 0%
TiVo TiVo is Very out [of this world] 2 8.00%
Your crazy that is not what TiVo means 16 64.00%
I work for tivo and this is what tivo stands for 6 24.00%
Total: 25 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
star_treking is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 06:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for star_treking Find more posts by star_treking Add star_treking to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
star_treking

What TiVo stands for.

I just saw the TiVo DVD and curious as to what other people think TiVo stands for.

Last edited by star_treking on Today at 12:01 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 07:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

Asked and answered many times before, no poll required.

It doesn't stand for anything. It's just a fun word we made up.

Pony

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 07:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

I still think it's a combination of TV and i/o. TV being the source of the material, and i/o being the method in which it is stored. (i.e. i/o is an accronym for input/output stream, which is used to refer to how hard drives store data)

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 08:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoPony Find more posts by TiVoPony Add TiVoPony to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
I still think it's a combination of TV and i/o. TV being the source of the material, and i/o being the method in which it is stored. (i.e. i/o is an accronym for input/output stream, which is used to refer to how hard drives store data)

And yet, it doesn't.

I really can't put it into plainer English. I was there. We made it up. The attractive thing about it was that it had no meaning...we could make it mean whatever we wanted.

That, and it reminded the focus groups of television or Italian sports cars. That was definitely a good start.

I've heard the i/o stuff before...trust me, we weren't looking to be that clever or geeky.

Cheers,
Pony

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 08:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoPony
trust me, we weren't looking to be that clever or geeky.

Maybe subconsciously you were?

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rsnaider is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 12:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rsnaider Find more posts by rsnaider Add rsnaider to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rsnaider
TiVo Forum Special Member

I agree with the iO part since my Cablevision is iO, so combining TV with cable gets me TiVo.

TiVo | SERlES2 - 302 Hrs
TiVo | SONY SVR3000 - 273 Hrs

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mtmra70 is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 01:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mtmra70 Find more posts by mtmra70 Add mtmra70 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mtmra70
Hire Me TiVoPony

Maybe Pony is in denial.....the first step to resolving your denial issues Pony is to admit when you are wrong LOL

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LifeIsABeach is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 01:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for LifeIsABeach Find more posts by LifeIsABeach Add LifeIsABeach to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LifeIsABeach

According to RB the other choice was "Bongo", so we should all be happy they decided on TiVo!

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Maniacal1 is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 02:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Maniacal1 Find more posts by Maniacal1 Add Maniacal1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maniacal1

This Is Very Odd

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drew2k is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 02:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for drew2k Find more posts by drew2k Add drew2k to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drew2k
!revetahW

I love whenever discussions come up about how brands are named, and with an alternative of Bongo, the better name definitely one! Can you imagine the office discussion Thursday morning? "Hey, I bongoed Karen Sisco last night!"

PS - Would it have been bongoed or bongod or bongo'd?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 03:04 PM
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
Originally posted by LifeIsABeach
According to RB the other choice was "Bongo", so we should all be happy they decided on TiVo!

Bongo was just a name we played with for a day or two, because it was in the right direction...short, fun, happy. That was early on in the find-a-name process, there were many, many other names we considered. Things like Lasso, Royo, Libre, JetSet...I still have the binder from the project. When we were done we'd worked through over 800 possible names.

Maybe I'll scan a few of the alternate logos/names and post them here one day.

Here's a bit of naming trivia for you...not long after we decided on TiVo as our name and logo, the entire company had an offsite. We went bowling. There weren't that many of us, we only took up about eight or nine lanes.

We split up into teams, and each team had a rejected company name as their moniker. We had shirts for each team, with the team name ('Team Royo', or 'Lasso', etc) embroidered onto the sleeve, and the old version of the TiVo logo on the front. I think there were eight different team shirts in all, each a different color.

Those would be collector's items...it would be pretty tough to come up with them all now.

Oh, and there were trophies. RB, of course, won for silliest bowling style. I came within a whisker of receiving the high score trophy, but it went to Steve, a long-time TiVo engineer.

It was a fun day.

Cheers,
Pony

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Frylock is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 03:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Frylock Find more posts by Frylock Add Frylock to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Pony,

WE WANT TO SEE THAT LIST!

I'd love to see the list of other product names rejected. But Tivo is definately a great name, because it doesn't mean anything.

Why are people so insistent on what names mean today? What does Microsoft mean? what does crest mean? Where did kleenex come from? It's just made up.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JPriller is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 05:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JPriller Find more posts by JPriller Add JPriller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JPriller
just some guy

Okay, so whose idea was the goofy capitalization (TiVo: capital T small i capital V small o)? The spell checker here flags me whenever I do it wrong (Tivo, or sometimes I type too fast and put TiVO).

I know goofy capitalization was all the rage in the late 90's, but what makes ordinarily rational people (I'm willing to overlook the bowling) who aren't Dilbert-esqe marketing drones DO that?

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoPony is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 06:01 PM
TiVoPony
Good TiVo, Good.

quote:
Originally posted by JPriller
Okay, so whose idea was the goofy capitalization (TiVo: capital T small i capital V small o)? The spell checker here flags me whenever I do it wrong (Tivo, or sometimes I type too fast and put TiVO).

I know goofy capitalization was all the rage in the late 90's, but what makes ordinarily rational people (I'm willing to overlook the bowling) who aren't Dilbert-esqe marketing drones DO that?

Richard was a QA engineer back then, and I remember him taking me to task about the interstitial cap. IIRC, the concern was that people would never get it right, including our partners.

But there was something about those two letters, T and V, that seemed appropriate to emphasize.

Call us crazy, but it's worked out very well.

Sorry if it causes you any typing concerns!

Pony

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rseligman is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 06:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rseligman Find more posts by rseligman Add rseligman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rseligman

Why do people keep asking what TiVo stands for? How come no one asks what Yahoo stands for? Or Cisco? Or eBay? What makes people think that TiVo has to stand for something?

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 06:34 PM
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by Frylock
What does Microsoft mean?

Microsoft is a combination of the words Microcomputer and Software

quote:
Where did kleenex come from?

from Kleenex.com...

quote:

How did KLEENEX® Facial Tissue get its name?
To explain how KLEENEX® Facial Tissue got its name, it is necessary to go back to 1920 and the development of our first consumer product, KOTEX® Feminine Napkins. Our KOTEX® trademark was derived from the words "cotton texture" and met our requirements for being short, easy to say, easy to remember and easy to explain. KLEENEX® Tissue was originally designed in 1924 as a cold cream remover; hence, the "Kleen" portion of the word was coined to convey the cleansing purpose. We then added the "ex" from KOTEX® in order to convey what was the beginning of a family of products. In 1930, the name was changed from KLEENEX® Cleansing Tissue to KLEENEX® Facial Tissue.

quote:
what does crest mean?

I'm not sure about this one.

Dan

All with Lifetime

Last edited by Dan203 on 11-07-2003 at 06:42 PM

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ufo4sale is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 06:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ufo4sale Find more posts by ufo4sale Add ufo4sale to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ufo4sale

The only way to watch TV.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MighTiVo is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 06:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MighTiVo Find more posts by MighTiVo Add MighTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Conscious or subconscious it seems clear how the use of the letters TV in the name was a winner.
What about other permutations using the same template?

TaVa TaVe TaVi TaVo TaVu
TeVa TeVe TeVi TeVo TeVu
TiVa TiVe TiVi TiVo TeVu
ToVa ToVe ToVi ToVo ToVu
TuVa TuVe TuVi TuVo TuVu

Did you consider these? What was it that made TiVo win out?

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 06:45 PM
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by rseligman
How come no one asks what Yahoo stands for?

Yahoo!
the word was invented by Jonathan Swift and used in his book 'Gulliver's Travels'. It represents a person who is repulsive in appearance and action and is barely human. Yahoo! founders Jerry Yang and David Filo selected the name because they considered themselves yahoos.

quote:
Or Cisco?

CISCO
its not an acronymn but the short for San Francisco.

quote:
eBay?

eBay
The name is shorthand for "Electronic Bay" in reference to the San
Francisco Bay area. eBay's headquarters are in San Jose, Calif., situated at
the bottom of the bay. San Jose is considered the heart of Silicon Valley.

OK I'll stop now

Dan

All with Lifetime

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ufo4sale is offline Old Post 11-07-2003 06:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ufo4sale Find more posts by ufo4sale Add ufo4sale to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ufo4sale

a vote.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged