TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> DirecTV support of DVR's is so laughable, but it's just not funny. <<<

Pages (11): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
SpankWare is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 01:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SpankWare Find more posts by SpankWare Add SpankWare to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SpankWare

quote:
Originally posted by BlankMan
Have you ever done what you preach? You must work for DirecTV or be affiliated with them. Have you ever spent a half hour, forty five minutes, hour, on the phone getting transferred from person to person having to explain the problem over and over to each one? Then get disconnected on a transfer and have to call back and start the process all over again?

They say that they email is not a good way to solve technical issues. What really surprises me is that I deal with Oracle, Sun, Hp, Compaq, Dell, DEC, etc. for many years and it seems to work very well for all of them.

Have you seen this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=115194

They want me to call them for that one too. Now tell, just how are they going to fix that over the phone?

Maybe, just maybe, if I could call them and reference the ticket number that I got with their response so they could look up the ticket and I would not have to explain it again to six different people I might call, but they have never offered that option nor do I think they have the ability to do that.

Yes, I have done what I preach. Why do you ask? You think I would advise you to call in if I hadn't actually done it myself with success? Of course I've called in, and of course I've gotten the same reboot first bit. Perhaps I'm just more adept at it then you are, I generally don't have a hard time with phone support for anybody. I know how to work my way past the BS quickly, before I waste my time.

I'm not sure why you mentioned your success with email support from a bunch of tech companies. I don't see how they relate, but I'm happy for you.

I never indicated they would fix your odd problem over the phone. However, you would have been a lot closer to your desire of talking to a specific rep had you called in and avoided all the BS you're complaining about here. If you don't like the problems you're having, avoid them .... running face first in hasn't seemed to help yet, at least according to your DirecTV folder in your email application of choice.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Joe Siegler is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 01:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Siegler Visit Joe Siegler's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Siegler Add Joe Siegler to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Siegler

quote:
Oh I agree, I'm setting myself up, I'm trying to leverage this medium to get this issue way out in the open so it becomes common knowledge of the general public. If public opinion starts to form outside of this community that DirecTV support is useless, I can't see how they cannot stand up and take notice. That type reputation regardless of their J.D. Powers award will affect sales.

Why do I feeling that the general consensus is to just roll over and take it?

Well, mostly because we've figured out already you can't do a damn thing about it, and I have far better things to do with my time then fight this battle.

-----------
Philips DSR6000 & Hughes HDVR2 - Both unmodified

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 01:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BlankMan Find more posts by BlankMan Add BlankMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BlankMan
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by SpankWare
Yes, I have done what I preach. Why do you ask? You think I would advise you to call in if I hadn't actually done it myself with success? Of course I've called in, and of course I've gotten the same reboot first bit. Perhaps I'm just more adept at it then you are, I generally don't have a hard time with phone support for anybody. I know how to work my way past the BS quickly, before I waste my time.
So tell me, what were you so successful with getting support for? Figuring out how to put the unit in Standby?

I'd really like to hear what technical issues that DirecTV was able to solve over the phone.

quote:
I'm not sure why you mentioned your success with email support from a bunch of tech companies. I don't see how they relate, but I'm happy for you.

I think I pointed that out, did you not understand, I do get that feeling. DirecTV is saying that it's hard for them to troubleshoot technical issues via email yet that list of companies is able to do it and some of their technology far exceeds DirecTV's.

quote:
I never indicated they would fix your odd problem over the phone. However, you would have been a lot closer to your desire of talking to a specific rep had you called in and avoided all the BS you're complaining about here. If you don't like the problems you're having, avoid them .... running face first in hasn't seemed to help yet, at least according to your DirecTV folder in your email application of choice.

Why do you profess spending (wasting) time on the phone when the known end result is that the problem cannot be corrected that way? That to me has no value.

And what about that thread I pointed you to, I'm waiting to hear how you think they can solve that over the phone.

If you're just trying to troll me here, it's not working.

SAT-T60 230h TurboNET (x2)
HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bonscott87 is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 01:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bonscott87 Find more posts by bonscott87 Add bonscott87 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bonscott87
Lets go Red Wings!

I just have to tell this story because my wife about made me choke from laughing so hard.

Last Sunday about 10:30 I'm getting everything turned on for my Sunday Ticket day.
Tv on...check.
DirecTivo on....check.
A/V receiver on...check.
HDTV receiver on....no check.
Call extention XXX.
What?
My local OTA stations working fine. Nothing from DirecTV. Crap!! So I'm complaining about having to call DirecTV. My wife says "why don't you reboot it because they are going to make you do it anyway".
I say, "ok smarty pants".
So's I reboot the thing.

Wouldn't you know that all my stations came back.

My wife just smiled at me.

I just had to tell that because that is the only time a reboot fixed a problem and I didn't even call in.

Hughes E86 HD STB
MX-500 remote and 43" Hitachi widescreen HDTV
Vonage phone service, no landline!

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 01:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

quote:
Originally posted by bonscott87
I My wife says "why don't you reboot it because they are going to make you do it anyway".
I say, "ok smarty pants".
So's I reboot the thing.

Wouldn't you know that all my stations came back.

My wife just smiled at me.

QUICK...have her fill out an application to work at DirectTV!!! She probably knows more than most of the CSRs there.

"If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people.
If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bonscott87 is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 01:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bonscott87 Find more posts by bonscott87 Add bonscott87 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bonscott87
Lets go Red Wings!

Yea, she's a computer geek like me and she works on a help desk. She tells people to reboot their computers all day long. She got extra fun telling me to reboot for once.

Back on topic though, I would just call up DirecTV, you'll get somewhere faster. I have successfully used email to do various things like deactivate a receiver and programming questions but I've never gotten anywhere for any actual hardware problems, always had to call. But then I've had very few hardware issues over the years.

Hughes E86 HD STB
MX-500 remote and 43" Hitachi widescreen HDTV
Vonage phone service, no landline!

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SpankWare is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 02:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SpankWare Find more posts by SpankWare Add SpankWare to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SpankWare

quote:
So tell me, what were you so successful with getting support for? Figuring out how to put the unit in Standby?

I'd really like to hear what technical issues that DirecTV was able to solve over the phone.

If I could remember, I would tell you. But given that I don't usually experience an issue and if I did I can normally resolve it on my own, I can't really say. It's probably been more than a year since I've called DirecTV

quote:

I think I pointed that out, did you not understand, I do get that feeling. DirecTV is saying that it's hard for them to troubleshoot technical issues via email yet that list of companies is able to do it and some of their technology far exceeds DirecTV's.

My point was your list was all tech companies. I might understand your reference if DirecTV was more of a tech company, but clearly they are not the same as Dell, Oracle, etc. who's primary customer base have email and use it extensively.

quote:

Why do you profess spending (wasting) time on the phone when the known end result is that the problem cannot be corrected that way? That to me has no value.

And what about that thread I pointed you to, I'm waiting to hear how you think they can solve that over the phone.

If you're just trying to troll me here, it's not working.

I think it's obvious your issue can't be "fixed" via email or phone. But that doesn't mean the phone is less effective than your email solution. You yourself pointed out just how ineffective the initial email is, and yet you continue to do so rather than picking up the phone and calling in to directly bypass the DirecTV first line of defense.

As for the other thread, I didn't read it. I imagined it was more whining about lack of decent email support, so I didn't see the need to bother. Why do you even consider the idea I'm trolling? Is it really that impossible to believe that I believe what I've said and I think your method is obviously flawed? No, I must just be doing this to jerk your chain. I mean come on, it's silly of me to point out how questionable it is that you continue to follow the same avenue to seek service when you have documented proof (by your own admission) that the avenue continually fails you.

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CoryTV is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 02:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for CoryTV Find more posts by CoryTV Add CoryTV to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CoryTV

I just wrote tech support...

...with this issue. I wonder if I will get the canned response.

I am experienceing some problems with my Tivo. Firstly, it is very slow, and continues to get slower. Secondly, occasionally, for no reason, The little door on the front will spring open, and a full-size banana will fly out of it. Of course, this delights my son, who is part-monkey, but is incredibly disturbing to me. Secondly, On every other tuesday, except the one immediately preceeding the summer solstice, my Tivo bursts for with song. It actually starts singing. Loudly. It prefers 80's Hair Metal, and has a soft spot for Whitesnake. These problems, I could deal with, were it not for the drunken carrousing immediately following the performance. After the show, It refuses any attempts to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer, preferring to quickly alternate between "VH1 Behind the Music" and Telemundo. Please contact me quickly, as I am running low on my supplies of hairspray, vodka and cigarettes, and I'm afraid of what it will do, should this occur.

Sincerely,

Cory Caplan

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 02:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BlankMan Find more posts by BlankMan Add BlankMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BlankMan

It takes me a couple minutes to fire off an email, you yourself have said you know how to bypass the BS of the first level support, that takes time, then you have to go through more people and the problem still does not get resolved. And you profess that this is an effective method?

quote:

If I could remember, I would tell you. But given that I don't usually experience an issue and if I did I can normally resolve it on my own, I can't really say. It's probably been more than a year since I've called DirecTV

So you don't experience a lot of issues that require you to contact DirecTV to get them resolved yet their model of phone support works well at solving technical problems. I don't understand how you know that then? I present facts which support my position, you when asked cannot do that but yet we're suppose to take your word that DirecTV support is able to solve technical problems?

quote:

My point was your list was all tech companies. I might understand your reference if DirecTV was more of a tech company, but clearly they are not the same as Dell, Oracle, etc. who's primary customer base have email and use it extensively.
They chose to take over support of DTiVo's, that is a unit that has some amount ot technical sophistication, if they take that on they should have the methods, procedures, and expertise in place to support it, they obviously do not.

quote:
I think it's obvious your issue can't be "fixed" via email or phone. But that doesn't mean the phone is less effective than your email solution. You yourself pointed out just how ineffective the initial email is, and yet you continue to do so rather than picking up the phone and calling in to directly bypass the DirecTV first line of defense.

Email is an extremely more effective tool and method to use when diagnosing a problem. It is a written document that can easily be passed from one person to another. When dealing with phone support you're relying on the CSR's ability to document the problem into the call log. By their own admission a lot of the CSR's contacted do not even know what a DVR is, yet they're suppose to solve its problems?

quote:
As for the other thread, I didn't read it. I imagined it was more whining about lack of decent email support, so I didn't see the need to bother. Why do you even consider the idea I'm trolling? Is it really that impossible to believe that I believe what I've said and I think your method is obviously flawed? No, I must just be doing this to jerk your chain. I mean come on, it's silly of me to point out how questionable it is that you continue to follow the same avenue to seek service when you have documented proof (by your own admission) that the avenue continually fails you.

Well see because of cracks like that, by your admission you have no idea what you are talking about yet you continue to talk. And see, there you go not knowing the details. That thread is a bona fide bug in the software that causes the channel lineup to be lost. It has been confirmed by E. Stephen Mack, Director of Service Operations at TiVo, better known around here as TiVoOpsMgr. I suggest that before you debate an issue you learn how to learn about the issue because you made it obvious that you assume things without researching the facts even when they are put right in front of you..

And you seem to be sticking up for DirecTV and when I asked you if you work for DirecTV or are affliated with them you were silent on the matter.

Now really, your posts have no value to the subject of this thread so why are you continuing to post in this thread?

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 02:47 AM
BlankMan

Cory LOL I hear the spontaneous music is a new HMO feature.

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SpankWare is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 03:13 AM
SpankWare

quote:
It takes me a couple minutes to fire off an email, you yourself have said you know how to bypass the BS of the first level support, that takes time, then you have to go through more people and the problem still does not get resolved. And you profess that this is an effective method?

I guess you didn't read what I said, otherwise it would have made sense. Phone support is more effective because it takes less time to get to the end result than email does. Why? Because it happens in real time, not as emails are checked or read. It doesn't slow down because Bob went to the bathroom. Others here have also indicated that the phone is more effective. Have you received a response from your last email? If so, how close are you to the level of action you would like to be

quote:

So you don't experience a lot of issues that require you to contact DirecTV to get them resolved yet their model of phone support works well at solving technical problems. I don't understand how you know that then? I present facts which support my position, you when asked cannot do that but yet we're suppose to take your word that DirecTV support is able to solve technical problems?

I don't see how my having fewer issues than some would make me less informed about how phone support works. As I said before, I have called in so I'm not sure how you missed the boat on how I understand how their phone support works. Is the enlightenment based on volume in your opinion? And you don't have to take my word on the fact it works. You are perfectly free to continue to send pointless emails to their support address so you can get upset each time you receive the same first answer. I'm just offering a better solution.

quote:

They chose to take over support of DTiVo's, that is a unit that has some amount ot technical sophistication, if they take that on they should have the methods, procedures, and expertise in place to support it, they obviously do not.

Given the amount of regular receivers vs. DirecTV DVRs I don't think it's unreasonable to believe their CSR base is not 100% up on the latest DVR information and issues. That's why you always bypass first level support. Unfortunately for you, your method does not allow for that. Luckily for me, mine does.

quote:

Email is an extremely more effective tool and method to use when diagnosing a problem. It is a written document that can easily be passed from one person to another. When dealing with phone support you're relying on the CSR's ability to document the problem into the call log. By their own admission a lot of the CSR's contacted do not even know what a DVR is, yet they're suppose to solve its problems?

I would agree that email can be a very effective technical support tool. That does not mean however that all companies can or do use it effectively in a technical support capacity. Again, with my method of phoning in a support question, I can quickly bypass the first level support.

quote:

Well see because of cracks like that, by your admission you have no idea what you are talking about yet you continue to talk. And see, there you go not knowing the details. That thread is a bona fide bug in the software that causes the channel lineup to be lost. It has been confirmed by E. Stephen Mack, Director of Service Operations at TiVo, better known around here as TiVoOpsMgr. I suggest that before you debate an issue you learn how to learn about the issue because you made it obvious that you assume things without researching the facts even when they are put right in front of you..

Like I said, I didn't read the thread. Well, not the whole thing. I did get down to the post where you started whining about getting a crappy canned response from email support. The only point I was making was that your method of requesting support was inefficient, even by your own admission. Your linked thread proves that despite a pattern of behavior from DirecTV email support, you continue your own pattern of behavior by using it and complaining when it continues to give you the same level of support. Thanks for the name drop though, that was neat.

quote:

And you seem to be sticking up for DirecTV and when I asked you if you work for DirecTV or are affliated with them you were silent on the matter.

Now really, your posts have no value to the subject of this thread so why are you continuing to post in this thread?

I didn't think it was such a big issue to you, I know it wasn't to me. But if you're going to get this bent out of shape about it, I'll answer you. No, I do not work for DirecTV. No, I do not work for TiVo. No, I do not work for any company related to either DirecTV or TiVo, nor do I work for any company related to the Digital Satellite or Digital Video recorder business. This is true for my immediate and extended family as well.

I'm continuing to post in response to posts made to me. If you want me to stop posting, stop posting to me.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 03:53 AM
BlankMan

Well I'll tell you what SpankWare, you claim to be good at getting problems resolved over the phone with DirecTV, you have my detailed problem statement, why don't you take the challenge of contacting DirecTV on my behalf and use your expertise in dealing with their Customer Support people to get my problem resolved. You indicated that it's a fast way of resolving issues with DirecTV so I'm hoping you can spare the few minutes it will take you to help a fellow TC'r. I'd be forever indebted to you.

I guess if you can accomplish this I'd have to admit that there is such a thing as good DirecTV Support. I might even go so far as to delete this thread because it would no longer be true.

So take the challenge please, as the saying goes, put your money where your mouth is.

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SpankWare is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 04:41 AM
SpankWare

quote:
Well I'll tell you what SpankWare, you claim to be good at getting problems resolved over the phone with DirecTV, you have my detailed problem statement, why don't you take the challenge of contacting DirecTV on my behalf and use your expertise in dealing with their Customer Support people to get my problem resolved. You indicated that it's a fast way of resolving issues with DirecTV so I'm hoping you can spare the few minutes it will take you to help a fellow TC'r. I'd be forever indebted to you.

I guess if you can accomplish this I'd have to admit that there is such a thing as good DirecTV Support. I might even go so far as to delete this thread because it would no longer be true.

So take the challenge please, as the saying goes, put your money where your mouth is.

If you'd like. Sure. I'll need your name, account number and phone number. I'll also need the make/model of your unit along with the serial number and access card number. I think that should be enough to start with.

Oh, and that'll be $50 for taking the request and $2.50 a minute for the time I'm working the issue. Cash, Check or money order accepted as well as all major credit cards. Personal checks require a $50 deposit on top of the regular charges and a 3 day waiting period.

Just let me know.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlankMan is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 05:03 AM
BlankMan

quote:
If you'd like. Sure. I'll need your name, account number and phone number. I'll also need the make/model of your unit along with the serial number and access card number. I think that should be enough to start with.

Oh, and that'll be $50 for taking the request and $2.50 a minute for the time I'm working the issue. Cash, Check or money order accepted as well as all major credit cards. Personal checks require a $50 deposit on top of the regular charges and a 3 day waiting period.

Just let me know.

A chance to prove your point and you blow it off with nonsense. I'm able to show here that DirecTV is not supporting their DVR's adequately, you haven't been able to provide any facts or data to the contrary.

By the way, why do you defend DirecTV so much? I'm curious as to the why.

HDVR2 107h
DVR40 (unactivated) (x3)
HR10-250 stock
and ah, a, A55

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SpankWare is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 05:15 AM
SpankWare

quote:
A chance to prove your point and you blow it off with nonsense. I'm able to show here that DirecTV is not supporting their DVR's adequately, you haven't been able to provide any facts or data to the contrary.

I'm not blowing you off. Time is money. The only free work I do is for family, friends or charity and I don't believe you fit in any of those categories. If you want me to do the work, I expect to be compensated.

Frankly, I don't think you've proven anything in this thread except that you got a canned answer on your initial request to technical support via email. This shouldn't be surprising to anybody, especially you since as you have indicated you have this behavior well documented. Now I'm sure their support of the unit is not up to your satisfaction, but I wouldn't say you've "proven" that. I will agree though that in all likelihood it's falling short of any acceptable mark.

As for my defense of DirecTV, that's simple. I think there are many people here and elsewhere who blame DirecTV for a lot of things for one reason or another without considering for a moment that they are not the one's at fault. Take the whole HMO and or 4.0 debate. Lots of people blame DirecTV for our not having either when in reality they could be working hard to bring both to us but are delayed by greater software testing and infrastructure deployment. I don't think it's wrong to defend them when I don't necessarily believe they are the bad guys. It doesn't mean I work for them, it just means I'm being fair and giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'm certainly not going to base my opinion on poorly drawn assumptions.

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bidger is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 09:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bidger Find more posts by bidger Add bidger to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bidger

So this whole thread was started by BlankMan about the fact that the banner w/ song & artist info on MusicChoice channels clear after awhile? As someone who experienced the "burn in" that this can cause on a 43" RPTV, you should be glad it does!!! I had it happen when I thought I had turned off the screen summer before last and was working in other rooms in the house. I came back into the living room 3 hours later to my horror to see the info on screen. From that point on, whenever a light background was on whatever I was watching, I could see that MusicChoice border. Luckily, I have a maintenance agreement and had the screen replaced this last summer w/ no charge to me. But, this is an issue?! When you experience the burn-in, you'll have a different opinion.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattnboise is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 12:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattnboise Find more posts by mattnboise Add mattnboise to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattnboise

quote:

Isn't being crazy doing something over and over again and again and then expecting a different result each time?

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

appleye1 is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 12:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for appleye1 Find more posts by appleye1 Add appleye1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
appleye1
Seventies Hippie

quote:
Originally posted by bidger
So this whole thread was started by BlankMan about the fact that the banner w/ song & artist info on MusicChoice channels clear after awhile? As someone who experienced the "burn in" that this can cause on a 43" RPTV, you should be glad it does!!! I had it happen when I thought I had turned off the screen summer before last and was working in other rooms in the house. I came back into the living room 3 hours later to my horror to see the info on screen. From that point on, whenever a light background was on whatever I was watching, I could see that MusicChoice border. Luckily, I have a maintenance agreement and had the screen replaced this last summer w/ no charge to me. But, this is an issue?! When you experience the burn-in, you'll have a different opinion.

(I'll save you the trouble Blankman. )

Blankman's complaint is not that the banner clears. It's that when a new song comes on the banner does not reappear.

I agree that this is would be a pretty good software enhancement. But it's not a Tivo-related issue, and I doubt it would rank very high in needed enhancements in either DirecTv software or Tivo software.

But it does piss me off that DirecTv automatically comes back with a "we can't resolve this by email" response. If a human was actually reading your email, the response would be something along the lines of "Thanks for your suggestion, I'll escalate this with our software maintenance team." Like you said, a phone call is not going to resolve this.

"Be excellent to one another." - Pan Chun

"All people can be divided into 10 groups. Those that understand binary and those that don't."

DIRECTV subscriber since 02/96
TiVo user since 12/99

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsnelson is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 01:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bsnelson Visit bsnelson's homepage! Find more posts by bsnelson Add bsnelson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsnelson

OK, let's think about this: We believe that the banner times out (disappears) to prevent burn-in. The OP's complaint is that the banner goes away and does not re-appear when a new song starts. Now, doesn't it seem like this would be defeating the purpose?

If the banner disappears, only to re-appear less than three minutes later, what are you buying? If the banner did come back with each new song, how long should it stay up?

I guess I don't understand how the OP thinks it should work, given that the reason it goes away is to prevent burn-in.

Brad

(1) Samsung SIR4040R (35 hours)

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

flakrat is offline Old Post 11-22-2003 02:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for flakrat Find more posts by flakrat Add flakrat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flakrat

I'm going to take this opportunity to suggest that THIS sounds like a wonderful chance to write your own hack (or get some programmer pumped up about it). Wonder if it's possible to programatically display the channel info bar?

Beyond that, I just don't see it happening, as I'd get pretty annoyed if, every hour when a new show came on, the DTv info bar displayed (as it would for each new song). That is, unless they made it so I could toggle that feature OFF.

TurboNet
TivoWeb, TCS

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged