TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> "dreamsystem" gone awry <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Old Post 12-06-2001 09:21 PM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Daniel L

Post "dreamsystem" gone awry

I had one vision: A system with a large TV and happy DirecTivo units.

Hence, I went about my job and purchased:

2x Hughes DirecTivo receivers

The DirecTivos were purchased from American Sattelites, who also provided me with the installer. He came, he saw, he installed.

The latter part of my dream came true when our older Sony 42inch tube was joined by a Sony KP61HS30.

Except that my dream looks nothing like I had previously imagined.

Both televisions (one tube, one projection) show clear and visible signs of MPEG artifacting. Mostly, the image can be perceived as being "broken up into into small blocks" especially when contrast in an image is high. At times it also seems as if the image fails to "update" i.e. the background seems to stick around for a split second too long.

Being a digital filmmaker, the whole thing looks like bad compression to me.

This is especially painful on the KP61HS30 (supposedly one of the nicest big-screens out there), which has a "digital filter" built into the system---said filter picks up on the compression and tries to remedy it by filtering---causing flicker around the blockiness. Yay.

I'm not sure what to do or change.

Might a multi-switch upgrade help? Better cabeling?

I've tried to run the receiver into the TV by both SVHS and regular yellow/red/white----same difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-06-2001 10:36 PM
Freelance1204

I have basically the same set-up. Using a Sony DirectTivo with a Sony KP53HS30. I have never experienced anything remotely close to what you are describing. No hint of artifacing (my eyes cannot tell the difference between a live D-TV feed and my D-Tivo recordings - and I have 20/20 vision...)

I have no idea what might be causing this, and I can't offer you much help aside from confirming that this is NOT normal.

Email me if you would like to check your setup against mine (we have basically the same TV, although you've got the larger screen...). I'll PM you my email address...

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ebonovic is offline Old Post 12-06-2001 10:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ebonovic Find more posts by ebonovic Add ebonovic to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ebonovic
TiVo Forum Special Member

Have you tried a NON-Tivo DirecTV reciever on your TV? To rule out it simply being the DirecTV compression that you are seeing?

If that is the case, there is nothing you could do on your end to make it any better.

I have had DirecTV for so long, I have just gotten used to the pixels and sometimes fragmented picture (I still thing it is better then snow and ghosts from an antenna, and anything is better the CableTV agravation).

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

johnmcc is offline Old Post 12-06-2001 10:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for johnmcc Find more posts by johnmcc Add johnmcc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnmcc

When you get a big screen TV you also get bigger pixels. That's the life of the big screen TV owner.

Make sure you have the strongest signal strength on the antenna that you can to ensure you aren't getting drop outs due to poor signal.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dylan is offline Old Post 12-06-2001 10:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dylan Find more posts by Dylan Add Dylan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dylan

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel L:
Being a digital filmmaker, the whole thing looks like bad compression to me.

I hate to tell you this but that's DirecTV for you. The situation might be improved with the new birds.

But the situation could be made worse by incorrect calibration of your TV. Try turning the sharpness way down as a first test. Then get yourself the AVIA DVD and follow it's calibration instructions. It will make a tremendous difference in the quality of your image.

-Dylan

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 12-06-2001 11:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for feldon23 Visit feldon23's homepage! Find more posts by feldon23 Add feldon23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
feldon23
MythBuster

And turning down the sharpness is not a compromise! Sharpness is a false term. You aren't turning up the sharpness, you are adding a filter to the picture which increases noise and adds extra contrast to parts of the picture that shouldn't be. It also adds ringing and other nasty effects.

Set your Sharpness the way it should be and the picture will improve. Also, now that the extra DirecTV satellite is up in space, the MPEG compression on channels should come down.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-07-2001 02:03 AM
Daniel L

Thanks everyone for your input!

Tried to hook a DVD player up to the Sony Projection TV...put in the new Star Wars Episode One DVD. On the yellow text crawl in the beginning of the film, the letters have VERY obvious artifacting around them. I'd describe it as pretty atrocious---had to point it out o my wife though.

I did try and turn sharpness down all the way---still not improving the quality by much.

I feel like I'm dealing with "double trouble": The MPEG compression on the one hand and the big screen on the other.

Will try and attach plain DSS receiver without the TiVo and see if that improves the picture quality.

Does a "powered" multiswitch make any difference from a non-powered one that was included in my DirecWay antenna?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Want1394 is offline Old Post 12-07-2001 02:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Want1394 Find more posts by Want1394 Add Want1394 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Want1394
TiVo Forum Special Member

The multiswitch make no difference in picture quality. If the coax runs are long, you need a powered switch to power the LNB's in the dish since the receiver on the other end of the cables won't have enough oomph. (technical term, you know). If you want, check your signal strength in the Tivo setup - if its consistantly in the 70's or better your wonderful. generally if you need a powered switch, you really know it - no signal at all or a very low powered one with strength in the 20's.

------------------
TOTAL Digital

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Eben is offline Old Post 12-07-2001 03:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Eben Visit Eben's homepage! Find more posts by Eben Add Eben to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Eben

The suggestion to calibrate with AVIA is a good one. Take it. Also, try turning down the contrast level.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged