TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Did Anyone See the HDTiVo in Action at CES?? <<<

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Todd is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 12:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Find more posts by Todd Add Todd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd
C Me in a C6

Question Did Anyone See the HDTiVo in Action at CES??

Unless I missed it, I haven't heard where anyone actually saw it in action at CES. Did anyone? If so, what are your impressions? Did it look just like the current TiVo? Are the graphics sharper? etc....

"Seriously, I think you are on the right track, but Todd is leading." - jsmeeker

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

InterMurph is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 01:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for InterMurph Find more posts by InterMurph Add InterMurph to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
InterMurph

I have seen it in action, but not at CES.

The front looks just like the HDVR2. The back has different connectors, obviously.

The TiVo interface is the same as it ever was; they clearly didn't rewrite it for this unit, which is fine with me.

The picture quality is unbelievable, espeically on the 42" Panasonic plasma display that I saw it on.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsnell is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 05:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsnell Visit jsnell's homepage! Find more posts by jsnell Add jsnell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsnell
TeeVee.org

Yes, the TiVo interface elements are identical to how they look now.

However, that's HDTV you're watching on it. Pausing. Trick play. The works. Pretty mind-bending. Looked great.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Todd is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 06:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Find more posts by Todd Add Todd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd
C Me in a C6

Is the on screen text in higher resolution for HD or just like it is now?

"Seriously, I think you are on the right track, but Todd is leading." - jsmeeker

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

G_S_O_D is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 06:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for G_S_O_D Find more posts by G_S_O_D Add G_S_O_D to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G_S_O_D

Looks like a new TV is in my future...

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

billj7062 is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 06:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for billj7062 Find more posts by billj7062 Add billj7062 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
billj7062

Talking HP TIVO

I'll buy on the day the offer it. I can't wait...

Looking Forward to It....

Bill Jackson

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsnell is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 08:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsnell Visit jsnell's homepage! Find more posts by jsnell Add jsnell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsnell
TeeVee.org

Todd: On-screen text seems to be upscaled from existing TiVo interface. No ultra-swank 1080i TiVo interface or anything... :-) But hey, it's TiVo! And that's good.

I assume that when you're in high-def mode and you pull up the guide it's higher res just because it's still at high-def, but I don't know if that's even true.

It's TiVo. Pretty basic. Kind of funny -- it's just a TiVo. With mind-blowing picture quality. And four tuners.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

theratpatrol is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 08:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for theratpatrol Find more posts by theratpatrol Add theratpatrol to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
theratpatrol

Heres the specs on it.

Link

Overall its not a bad unit. One thing I'm not sure about is if you can do dual outputs at the same time (say HDMI to big screen, composite out to VCR or channel modulator.)

Plus-
All in one box unit.

Minus-
No PIP
No caller ID
No one touch record
No Folders/subgroups (if you have UTV, you'll miss those features)
No RF out (not that you use this to hook up to a HD tv, but still it would be nice to have one so you could run a coax to other rooms.)
The inability to record 4 things at once. With 4 inputs, it should have been set up so you could record 4 things at once, or at least record 2/3 things at once while you watch something else. You never know when they'll be 4 things on at once that you want to watch. :-)

Last edited by theratpatrol on 01-12-2004 at 08:53 AM

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Todd is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 09:28 AM
Todd
C Me in a C6

Thanks for that link theratpatrol!! I noticed at least one mistake on the flyer though, digital optical out is TOSLINK, not SPDIF....

BTW, that sucks if we still can't get groupings in this box like S2 boxes! Come on TiVo and DirecTV!

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsnell is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 09:41 AM
jsnell
TeeVee.org

ratpatrol, in your list of minuses, you forgot "no pony."

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Philosofy is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 09:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Philosofy Find more posts by Philosofy Add Philosofy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

ratpatrol, you don't have a TiVo, do you? If you did, you would see how antiquated PIP is.

The voices in my head are screaming.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

memory1 is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 10:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for memory1 Find more posts by memory1 Add memory1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
memory1

Yes, I saw the HD Tivo in action on both Friday and Saturday at CES. It works just like a regular series 2 Tivo. On Friday a Hughes employee demostrated all the typical Tivo action with the HD Tivo connected via a component video to a 50 inch plasma, I looked great and operated just like a Tivo. The programming was from Discovery HD
On Saturday morning I was able to use the remote controller, yes a typical peanut unit, to displayed the setup, system screen. The software was a 3.1 version with a large X in one field and a 7 in a another field. I was also able to go to live TV and watch HDnet and Discovery HD again just like a regular Tivo. I got both the Hughes Data sheet and the DirecTV data sheet, no surprises on either.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

llogan is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 11:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for llogan Visit llogan's homepage! Find more posts by llogan Add llogan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
llogan
Advanced Member

From what's been rumored, it won't support a dual output for DVI and composite at the same time, one or the other. I'm with ya man, doing both would make my distribution of signal so much easier cause I don't need HD for the other TVs but I might want all of the other TVs to be showing the same show so I can wander around the house and not miss any of what I'm watching....

1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
3x35 hour Hughes HDVR2 DirecTivo 3.1
1x225 hour Philips DirecTivo 3.1
3x35 hour Philips DirecTivos 3.1
1x35 hour Series 2 Philips DirecTivo 3.1 DSR 7000
1x35 hour Sony SAT-T60 2.5
Tivo soldier since 12/99

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rogo is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 12:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rogo Find more posts by rogo Add rogo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rogo
Advanced Member

The digital output is SPDIF, in its TOSlink form (as opposed to coaxial). But it's still SPDIF.

It cannot do simultaneous HD/SD output. It's impossible with the hardware.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

theratpatrol is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 02:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for theratpatrol Find more posts by theratpatrol Add theratpatrol to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
theratpatrol

quote:
Originally posted by Philosofy
ratpatrol, you don't have a TiVo, do you? If you did, you would see how antiquated PIP is.

No I have UTV. Have you ever used PIP? I use PIP all the time. Its great for sports, and for when you want to channel surf during commercials. If you've never had PIP you don't know what you're missing. How many people think they would use PIP if they had it on Tivo? PIP is a software issue and could easily be updated on Tivo.

quote:
Originally posted by llogan
From what's been rumored, it won't support a dual output for DVI and composite at the same time, one or the other. I'm with ya man, doing both would make my distribution of signal so much easier cause I don't need HD for the other TVs but I might want all of the other TVs to be showing the same show so I can wander around the house and not miss any of what I'm watching....

I agree with you, I don't need HD on all TV's either and the lack of dual output and a RF output is going to make it a pain to send the signal to all TV's in the house. Poor planing if you ask me.

Last edited by theratpatrol on 01-12-2004 at 02:56 PM

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pkscout is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 06:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pkscout Find more posts by pkscout Add pkscout to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pkscout
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by theratpatrol
No I have UTV. Have you ever used PIP? I use PIP all the time. Its great for sports, and for when you want to channel surf during commercials. If you've never had PIP you don't know what you're missing. How many people think they would use PIP if they had it on Tivo? PIP is a software issue and could easily be updated on Tivo.

Commercials, what are those? Channel surfing, what is that? With TiVo I basically never watch live TV and *never* channel surf. That's why most of us don't see a need for PIP. We don't need to try and *watch* two things at once. We can just record them both and watch them one at a time when *we* want to.

If I had to pick how to dedicate resources, I'd vote for grouping over PIP.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JeffPatt is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 07:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JeffPatt Find more posts by JeffPatt Add JeffPatt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeffPatt
I'm a TiVoholic

Not having an RF out is a drawback. My main Tivo unit that is connected to my HD TV is in the den, however the den is attached to the kitchen. Therefore I ran a coax cable from the den to the TV in the kitchen, so you can go back and forth while watching the same show.

I was going to replace that Tivo unit with the HD Tivo unit, however I now would need to run an s-video cable between my den and the kitchen.

What is the max distance for s-video cable? Or can I buy a cheap video distributor so I do not have to run new cables?

Jeff

Philips DSR6000
Sony HD-100 (HDTV and DirecTV receiver)
MX-500 Remote
Spaun 5x8 Multiswitch

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Starrbuck is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 08:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Starrbuck Find more posts by Starrbuck Add Starrbuck to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Starrbuck

quote:
Originally posted by JeffPatt
Not having an RF out is a drawback. My main Tivo unit that is connected to my HD TV is in the den, however the den is attached to the kitchen. Therefore I ran a coax cable from the den to the TV in the kitchen, so you can go back and forth while watching the same show.

I was going to replace that Tivo unit with the HD Tivo unit, however I now would need to run an s-video cable between my den and the kitchen.

Don't forget you'd need audio cables to go with that S-video too! :-(

Just get an RF Modulator and use your existing coax cable.

I adopted HR10-250 #21 from VE, received at 9:45am CDT on April 22, 2004

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Alexander is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 08:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alexander Visit Alexander's homepage! Find more posts by Alexander Add Alexander to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alexander
Advanced Member

If you must run coax instead of composite/s-video, just buy a cheap RF modulator.

I've had TiVo for years and years and years, but there have been a few instances in which I wanted PIP. I can't remember exactly, but I'm prety sure it revolved around watching two relatively slow things at once, hence getting rid of stuff twice as fast. It also does sound good for sports, and the 16:9/high res capability of the HDTiVo would make it super-sweet for PIPping two SD programs.

Besides, it clearly would be a selling point for a lot of people.

But what I really want is a way to speed up programming slightly, maybe 1.1x - 2x, while keeping sound intact and pitch adjusted. Wouldn't that just be super cool?

Kind of sad to hear that it doesn't have an HD interface...you could fit so much more stuff on the screen...and it would be so pretty...

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gpg is offline Old Post 01-12-2004 09:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gpg Find more posts by gpg Add gpg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpg

If it won't output HD and composite simultaneously, how will a modulator help? I've got the same den/kitchen problem that JeffPatt has.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged