TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> KFC = Kitchen Fresh Chicken?! WTF?! <<<

Pages (3): « Prev 1 [2] 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
FatherTed is offline Old Post 01-27-2004 11:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for FatherTed Find more posts by FatherTed Add FatherTed to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FatherTed
Summer's eve pickle

quote:
Originally posted by Agatha Mystery
as far as KFC renaming themselves....

the state of Kentucky trademarked the name Kentucky. They were hoping to get rich off of KFC by forcing them to pay money to the state. So, instead, KFC changed its name. Yes, it happened at the same time that fried became a dirty word. I'm still horribly sad that McD's got rid of their fried apple pies. Those were the yummiest. Fortunately, our local KFC makes some that are almost identical. Not quite the same amount of cinnamon, but close enough. Golden crispy goodness!

Now, Kitchen Fresh Chicken does sound dorky.

Bzzzzt.... Try again. The snopes article above addresses the name change. It's all marketing:

quote:

Kentucky Fried Chicken decided to change their name to KFC in 1991 for several reasons, none of which had anything to do with governmental regulations about mutant animals:

A move to de-emphasize "chicken" because KFC planned to offer a varied menu that included other types of food. (The Boston Chicken corporation took the same approach for the same reason, changing their name of their retail food outlets to Boston Market.)

A desire to eliminate the word "fried," which has negative connotations to the increasingly health-conscious consumer market.

A recent trend towards the abbreviation of long commercial titles, as demonstrated by other companies' employing shortened forms of their names, such as The International House of Pancakes (IHOP) and Howard Johnson's (HoJo).

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RickStrobel is offline Old Post 01-27-2004 01:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RickStrobel Visit RickStrobel's homepage! Find more posts by RickStrobel Add RickStrobel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RickStrobel
TiVo Forum Special Member

I read a great marketing book called Focus a while back. The author discussed the Boston Chicken -> Market name change. At the time KFC was running scared because they faced real competition in the fast food chicken business from Boston Chicken.

Boston Chicken made the fatal line extension decision -- "if we're a great widgets company then surely people would want to buy doodads from us under the same name". The book makes the case that that doesn't work. Boston Chicken became Boston Market. With a soft focus they lost their edge.

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

joejar is offline Old Post 01-27-2004 09:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for joejar Find more posts by joejar Add joejar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joejar

I am 77 and I am going to eat KFC....so dont stop me with all that stuff about fried chicken...its the backbone of America!

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

johnmoorejohn is offline Old Post 01-27-2004 09:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for johnmoorejohn Find more posts by johnmoorejohn Add johnmoorejohn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnmoorejohn

KFC has the wrong strategy. They should boast their fried nastiness.

Anyone who has ever had Bojangles knows what 'fried' chicken is all about.

Donuts are back in, why not fried chicken?

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Agatha Mystery is offline Old Post 01-27-2004 09:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Agatha Mystery Visit Agatha Mystery's homepage! Find more posts by Agatha Mystery Add Agatha Mystery to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Agatha Mystery
bite me

quote:
Originally posted by FatherTed
Bzzzzt.... Try again. The snopes article above addresses the name change. It's all marketing:

Yes, I read that as well.

However, I am apparently not the only person who heard the kentucky trademark thing (see another post below mine).

I know I remember reading an article on it.

My blog

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ireland967 is offline Old Post 01-27-2004 09:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ireland967 Find more posts by ireland967 Add ireland967 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ireland967
Version 2.0

I remember reading the trademark thing as well - something about Kentucky being a commonwealth and adopting the strategy in the late '80's. i believe the article mentioned kentucky bluegrass seed and sod as having to modify their name as well ?

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Agatha Mystery is offline Old Post 01-28-2004 12:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Agatha Mystery Visit Agatha Mystery's homepage! Find more posts by Agatha Mystery Add Agatha Mystery to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Agatha Mystery
bite me

quote:
Originally posted by FatherTed

bzzzzzt. I found it. Also on snopes
quote:
It sounded good, but the real reason behind the shift to KFC had nothing to do with healthy food or finicky consumers: it was about money -- money that Kentucky Fried Chicken would have had to pay to continue using their original name. In 1990, the Commonwealth of Kentucky, mired in debt, took the unusual step of trademarking their name. Henceforth, anyone using the word "Kentucky" for business reasons -- inside or outside of the state -- would have to obtain permission and pay licensing fees to the Commonwealth of Kentucky. It was an unusual and brilliant scheme to alleviate government debt, but it was also one that alienated one of the most famous companies ever associated with Kentucky. The venerable Kentucky Fried Chicken chain, a mainstay of American culture since its first franchise opened in Salt Lake City in 1952, refused as a matter of principal to pay royalties on a name they had been using for four decades. After a year of fruitless negotiations with the Kentucky state government, Kentucky Fried Chicken -- unwilling to submit to "such a terrible injustice" -- threw in the towel and changed their name instead, timing the announcement to coincide with the introduction of new packaging and products to obscure the real reasons behind the altering of their corporate name.

Search a little better next time before you slam me.

My blog

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Combat Medic is offline Old Post 01-28-2004 12:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Combat Medic Visit Combat Medic's homepage! Find more posts by Combat Medic Add Combat Medic to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

quote:
Originally posted by Agatha Mystery
bzzzzzt. I found it. Also on snopes

Search a little better next time before you slam me.

You gotta love this girl.

-Mike

that's a standing offer - anything I can do, anytime. Jobeth66
I spit it out on the ground (oh, how I wanted to swallow!). InigoMontoya

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 01-28-2004 12:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raj Visit Raj's homepage! Find more posts by Raj Add Raj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

We used to call KFC Kan't F***ing Cook.

In memory of Ed Hopper -- 5130 --

I'm noticing more and more how my life is beginning to mirror Raj's....YIKES!! --disco

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo
1x35hr Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV DVR powered by TiVo

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Agatha Mystery is offline Old Post 01-28-2004 12:13 AM
Agatha Mystery
bite me

quote:
Originally posted by Combat Medic
You gotta love this girl.

-Mike

My blog

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Demandred is offline Old Post 01-28-2004 12:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Demandred Visit Demandred's homepage! Find more posts by Demandred Add Demandred to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Demandred
#58 Growlithe

quote:
Originally posted by bgreen5
Uh... yeah, by slipping on ice and cracking his skull open.

Well yeah but if he wasn't so damn skinny he would have had a lower center of gravity and been able to stay upright.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ClutchBrake is offline Old Post 01-28-2004 12:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ClutchBrake Visit ClutchBrake's homepage! Find more posts by ClutchBrake Add ClutchBrake to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

quote:
Originally posted by Kablemodem
I always thought it stood for Kill, Fry, Consume.

I like that. I'm going to use it in the future and not give you credit.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Timbeau is offline Old Post 01-28-2004 01:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Timbeau Find more posts by Timbeau Add Timbeau to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Timbeau
Sox 11/11, TB 16/16

Does anyone remember the feature that Mad Magazine did on Kentucky Fried Chicken back in the 1970's?

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

omnibus is offline Old Post 01-28-2004 01:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for omnibus Find more posts by omnibus Add omnibus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
omnibus

I always thought a chicken had 8 pieces, 2 breast halves, 2 thighs, 2 legs and 2 wings.

Buy a bucket of KFC chicken and try identifying the pieces, before you bite into them and figure out if it's white or dark. There was an article some time ago about how many pieces the colonel got out of each chicken. I'm sure it was upwards of a dozen.

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

fmowry is offline Old Post 01-28-2004 01:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for fmowry Find more posts by fmowry Add fmowry to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fmowry
How YOU Doin?

quote:
Originally posted by omnibus
I always thought a chicken had 8 pieces, 2 breast halves, 2 thighs, 2 legs and 2 wings.

Buy a bucket of KFC chicken and try identifying the pieces, before you bite into them and figure out if it's white or dark. There was an article some time ago about how many pieces the colonel got out of each chicken. I'm sure it was upwards of a dozen.

Back when I worked there (late 80's) the best chicken piece was the kiel (sp?). It was the center breast piece and had one small piece of cartilage down the middle of two big hunks of fried white meat goodness. Mmmm.

KFC went downhill when they got rid of Chicken Littles!

Frank

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kablemodem is offline Old Post 01-28-2004 02:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kablemodem Find more posts by Kablemodem Add Kablemodem to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kablemodem
Favorite Poster

quote:
Originally posted by ClutchBrake
I like that. I'm going to use it in the future and not give you credit.

OK, but you can only say it while holding a spork.

I always liked the Extra Crispy chicken, but what I really looked forward to was the little strawberry shortcake dessert cups. I haven't had KFC in years, but I am having UMF for lunch today.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jsmeeker is offline Old Post 01-28-2004 02:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jsmeeker Find more posts by jsmeeker Add jsmeeker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

quote:
Originally posted by omnibus

Sure... If you butcher the chicken that way, you can get 8 pieces. When I do fried chicken, that's how I cut it up. I also make the breasts boneless, and I don't cook the wings. They get save along with the back for making chicken stock.

Large breasts could be cut in half, yielding 4 breast pieces.. Same with the wings. If the wings are big, you could seperate each wing, yielding 4 wing pieces.

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker, you will live in a dark place someday....where they do not allow TiVo. -- nachonaco

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

diana731 is offline Old Post 01-28-2004 02:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for diana731 Find more posts by diana731 Add diana731 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
diana731

quote:

KFC went downhill when they got rid of Chicken Littles!

Amen! Now that was some good stuff. 4 for a buck. Can't beat that with a baseball bat.

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoKate is offline Old Post 01-28-2004 02:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoKate Visit TiVoKate's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoKate Add TiVoKate to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoKate
Me gusta TiVo!

As much as I don't like KFC's marketing strategy.... I can't say no to the Biscuits or the Potato Wedges... The potato wedges TASTE like the fried chicken batter, but they are potatoes . It's magic.

We have a Taco Bell / KFC combos restaurant... so you can get 2 Tacos, Chicken Strips and potato wedges. Like there exists a worse meal for you.

On the flipside.... There's a new ad for McDonalds... with their new "I'm Lovin' it" campaign they're obviously pushing towards the African American population in the US.... "Those pants are looking too tight...but I'm lovin' it." What is this!? Your pants are tight due to McDonalds.

"Back off man, I'm a scientist." - Venkman, "Ghostbusters"

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kablemodem is offline Old Post 01-28-2004 03:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kablemodem Find more posts by Kablemodem Add Kablemodem to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kablemodem
Favorite Poster

quote:
Originally posted by Kablemodem
I am having UMF for lunch today.

See:

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged