TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> Starship Troopers 2 <<<

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jones07 is offline Old Post 02-04-2004 07:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jones07 Visit jones07's homepage! Find more posts by jones07 Add jones07 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jones07
TiVo Forum Special Member

Starship Troopers 2

Starship Troopers 2 ? This is the first I heard about a sequel. Unlike most I enjoyed Starship Troopers one.
Looking forward to Starship Troopers 2 on Starz

Starship Troopers 2 Source: Tippett Studio

The Bugs are back! Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation, directed by Tippett Studio founder, Phil Tippett, is scheduled to premiere on the STARZ! network in April followed by a wide DVD release in early summer.

In the sequel, a small group of troopers find themselves taking refuge in an abandoned outpost as they attempt to fight the encroaching Arachnids - not realizing that a much graver danger is actually infiltrating their unit...

We've got the new 15-second QuickTime TV spot for you, which you can download by clicking on the image below!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=3236

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Big Deficit is offline Old Post 02-04-2004 10:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Big Deficit Find more posts by Big Deficit Add Big Deficit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big Deficit
Bloody mess

I'll check it out, but considering it's a direct to video release, I'm not expecting much. Starship Troopers (ST1?) was a disappointment in theaters but did OK in video release. I think it benefited more from being a big effect DVD release just when the masses got their new DVD player and surround sound than being a good movie.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fleegle is offline Old Post 02-04-2004 11:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fleegle Find more posts by Fleegle Add Fleegle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fleegle
Criminally Insane

Starship Troopers would have been an OK movie if it was an independant movie. It bore about 1% similarity to the book upon which it is supposedly based. The book is a parody of Facism, and while the movie had a bit of that in it, all they did was take a few events and throw them into a campy action shoot-em-up.

I guess I'm really just frustrated that we'll likely never see an actual Starship Troopers adaptation because this schlock was made. That's a real shame because it was a very powerful book.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Worf is offline Old Post 02-04-2004 11:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Worf Visit Worf's homepage! Find more posts by Worf Add Worf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Worf

Ah yes, Starship Troopers was one of my favorite books. Turned me onto Heinlein.

I just wished the movie didn't alter the true meaning of the book so much...

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tgr131 is offline Old Post 02-04-2004 07:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tgr131 Find more posts by tgr131 Add tgr131 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tgr131
Senile Member

I loved Heinlein's Juvenile Fiction works:

Farmer in the Sky
Between Planets
Space Cadet
The Star Beast
Have Space Suit, Will Travel
Citizen of the Galaxy
Rocket Ship Galileo

Couldn't Stand his Future History stuff:

Job: A Comedy of Justice
The Number of the Beast
Time Enough for Love
etc.

Starship Troopers was a great book. I thought the movie was ok. Dina Meyers is hot. I suffered thru Birds of Prey just to watch her.

"Poetry is a way of taking life by the throat."

Robert Frost

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JMikeD is offline Old Post 02-04-2004 08:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JMikeD Find more posts by JMikeD Add JMikeD to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JMikeD

quote:
Originally posted by tgr131
I loved Heinlein's Juvenile Fiction works:

Farmer in the Sky
Between Planets
Space Cadet
The Star Beast
Have Space Suit, Will Travel
Citizen of the Galaxy
Rocket Ship Galileo

Couldn't Stand his Future History stuff:

Job: A Comedy of Justice
The Number of the Beast
Time Enough for Love
etc.

I'm with you there.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fustanella is offline Old Post 02-04-2004 09:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fustanella Find more posts by Fustanella Add Fustanella to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

Do we get to see powered armor and the thirty-second bomb? If not, I ain't interested.

I agree that the original movie utterly missed the satiric point of the novel. Did I want to learn more? Not really, not after they butchered it in film.

Myself and my high-school "sisters" Laz and Lor thoroughly enjoyed his Future History, unlike some heathens here.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

fonamna is offline Old Post 02-04-2004 09:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for fonamna Visit fonamna's homepage! Find more posts by fonamna Add fonamna to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fonamna

I enjoyed both the movie and the book as seperate entities. The animation (based on the book), now that was crap. I don't get Starz! so I'll have to wait for the DVD, if it''s worth seeing at all.

Last edited by fonamna on 02-04-2004 at 10:11 PM

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

OzarkLad is offline Old Post 02-04-2004 09:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for OzarkLad Find more posts by OzarkLad Add OzarkLad to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OzarkLad
Omnivorous (2)

Starship Troopers

Also known as: Hollywood 90210 Goes to War!

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jones07 is offline Old Post 02-04-2004 10:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jones07 Visit jones07's homepage! Find more posts by jones07 Add jones07 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jones07
TiVo Forum Special Member

They were some cute looking Troopers

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tgr131 is offline Old Post 02-04-2004 10:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tgr131 Find more posts by tgr131 Add tgr131 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tgr131
Senile Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fustanella

Myself and my high-school "sisters" Laz and Lor thoroughly enjoyed his Future History, unlike some heathens here.

Educate me then! Number of the Beast started out strong, but lost it's focus. I really enjoyed the artwork in my edition (although my parents would have died if they had seen it). But it seemed to meander, and I never finished it.

Time enough for love seemed to be a bunch of interesting short stories sprinkled into an unintelligible overall frame.

I did like Revolt in 2100.

Robert Frost

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rcrew is offline Old Post 02-04-2004 10:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rcrew Find more posts by Rcrew Add Rcrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rcrew
TiVo Domo

So is this going to end up being a serious science fiction thread, or can was just drool over the possibility of more naked co-ed shower scenes?

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 02-04-2004 10:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

quote:
Originally posted by jones07
They were some cute looking Troopers

Indeed. The film's gratuitous nudity was its only high point...

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZikZak is offline Old Post 02-04-2004 10:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZikZak Visit ZikZak's homepage! Find more posts by ZikZak Add ZikZak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Ahh, Starship Troopers: The Movie. The movie that dares to make you root for the Nazis! Blek.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tgr131 is offline Old Post 02-04-2004 11:07 PM
tgr131
Senile Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rcrew
So is this going to end up being a serious science fiction thread, or can was just drool over the possibility of more naked co-ed shower scenes?

Well excuse me for trying to pad my post count by starting serious discussions.

Robert Frost

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Frylock is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 12:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Frylock Find more posts by Frylock Add Frylock to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

OK, someone explain to me why Starship Troopers was a good book? I saw the movie and thought it was horrible (with the exception of the aformentioned nudity). Everyone said the book was better, so I read the book. While it was ok, and yes, I did get it was a satire, I found it somewhat lacking.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rcrew is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 12:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rcrew Find more posts by Rcrew Add Rcrew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rcrew
TiVo Domo

quote:
Originally posted by tgr131
Well excuse me for trying to pad my post count by starting serious discussions.

Hey, no excuse me necessary. I was feeling out of place introducing the nudity aspect of the film when you all were seeming to have an indepth discussion of the merits of the original text and it's relationship to serious science fiction.

Move along... nothing to see here...

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Big_Daddy is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 12:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Big_Daddy Find more posts by Big_Daddy Add Big_Daddy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big_Daddy
Purveyor of Idiocy

quote:
Originally posted by Big Deficit
Starship Troopers (ST1?) was a disappointment in theaters but did OK in video release. I think it benefited more from being a big effect DVD release just when the masses got their new DVD player and surround sound than being a good movie.

That is the truth. My father-in-law bought this movie because it came out just at the time he bought a DVD player/surround sound system - it was what was in the store that had bells and whistles!

I think he finally shuffled it off on eBay.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

devdogaz is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 01:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for devdogaz Find more posts by devdogaz Add devdogaz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
devdogaz
Member in Law

I totally agree that Dina Meyer's breasts were the only worthwhile part of that movie. She hasn't been in too many things lately so maybe she was up for appearing in the sequel.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 02-05-2004 01:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

I loved the movie, especially the whole style of the story presentation like one big propaganda film.

I don't really know if I've read the book. Well, I'm sure I've read the book, since I have the book, but it was during my childhood, which is getting to be rather long ago, and I really don't remember much, if any, of it.

I can watch that movie over and over and still not be bored with it. I have watched it many, many times. I've also had friends come visit who had never seen it, and one in particular from Amsterdam spent two days watching it, over and over. He loved it so much.

I kinda doubt this sequel will have a similar feel at all; but I'm hopeful it manages to capture some of it. We'll see. It may turn out to be total schlock, but I'm willing to give it a try. I'd rather have seen the original director involved... as well as the original cast -- as I've seen no mention if any of the original cast is in this sequel -- other than the bugs.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged