TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
>>> Starship Troopers 2 <<<

Pages (4): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Frylock is offline Old Post 02-06-2004 04:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Frylock Find more posts by Frylock Add Frylock to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Chrichton is another great example of good books (not world-worthy novels, but good reads) and bad movies...

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drew2k is offline Old Post 02-06-2004 04:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drew2k Find more posts by drew2k Add drew2k to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drew2k
!revetahW

quote:
Originally posted by TreborPugly
I wouldn't call _Battlefield_Earth_ an excelleng book. I enjoyed it because it was very thick and full of plot. But it isn't really great prose or particularly deep. There was just way too much plot to make a single movie out of it.
Well, it was excellent for me!

I thought the book had everything: drama, adventure, satire, wit, a smidgen of romance, and a great overall story. As you point out, there were many subplots, but IMO this book should have been produced as a trilogy, not as a single movie. To me, there were three easy points that could have split the book:
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
Johnny's early years and his captivity and training by Terl; Johny's rebellion and recruitment of others preparing for a global rebellion; and finally, the final revolt against the Psychlos and the rebirth of human government and entry onto a galactic stage.
Yes, I dream big! This would have required a major commitment form a studio, an excellent screenwriter, and lots of bucks. And of course, a restraining order to keep John Travolta a minimum of 2 miles away from production at all times. It's sad that his involvement resulted in a movie that I bet even Hubbard would have disowned.

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jones07 is offline Old Post 02-06-2004 04:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jones07 Visit jones07's homepage! Find more posts by jones07 Add jones07 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jones07
TiVo Forum Special Member

without John Travolta Battlefield_Earth may not have ever been made...........That could have been a good thing.

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 03:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

I should have known better.

Sequel.

Original director not involved.

Original cast not involved.

Original scriptwriter *is* involved. Pity him for he's lost any possible previously earned respect for this pile of garbage.

No theatrical release, or so short nobody noticed.

DVD priced under $10 at BJ's Wholesale Club.

The movie is a classic example of stupidity in filmmaking.

Blech.

I watched the whole thing.

It never even came close to the campiness of the original; it never even came close to a consistent believable storyline within the universe that was established in the original; and to top it off, we get a contrived storyline based on the bugs new capability. They couldn't even be bothered adding a blinking (or even non-blinking) "Do you want to know more?" to the screen while the announcer was speaking. It's like someone saw the dailies and refused to authorize even that amount of limited production work on the released version, cutting their losses.

There was barely even any nudity! And few people I'd even have wanted to see nude anyway!

Total worthless garbage. Save your $10. Don't bother with the DVD. I'm gonna have to watch the original again just to cleanse my brain of this filth and restore some good memories about Starship Troopers. In fact, watching the original backwards would be more entertaining than seeing this horrible excuse for a movie. Watching Casper Van Dien brush his teeth would have more plot. What a waste of money to produce.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367093/

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jones07 is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 04:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jones07 Visit jones07's homepage! Find more posts by jones07 Add jones07 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jones07

I saw it on Starz Action channel. I agree with most of your review. I have a very high level for pain when it comes to sc-ifi movies, So I say it's watchable. if you are watching it on Cable. To buy it.......No way.

I Don't think there will ever be a Starship Troopers 3

Forgot to add.............What were they thinking ?

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Worf is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 10:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Worf Visit Worf's homepage! Find more posts by Worf Add Worf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Worf

I think the only thing that was close to the books was Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles. Now that was a nice series (the last DVD just came out, too).

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DLL66 is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 11:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DLL66 Find more posts by DLL66 Add DLL66 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DLL66

Don't even waste your time on Starship Trooper 2. I wasted my time watching it and I want it back!!!!!

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SWFan is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 12:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SWFan Visit SWFan's homepage! Find more posts by SWFan Add SWFan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SWFan

Dang it! Its already on its way from Netflix.

Captain Kirk: "Once again we've saved civilization as we know it."
Dr. McCoy: "And the good news is they're not going to prosecute."

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dansee is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 12:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dansee Find more posts by dansee Add dansee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dansee
Merrily Unrepentant

quote:
Originally posted by SWFan
Oh God. I'm so, so, very sorry to hear it.

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jones07 is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 12:51 AM
jones07

quote:
Originally posted by SWFan

Watch it and make up your own mind.............Then report back

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoOpsMgr is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 12:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoOpsMgr Visit TiVoOpsMgr's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoOpsMgr Add TiVoOpsMgr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

Heh. I tripped across the listing for this movie on Starz and recorded it. I fully agree with the reviews here about how horrible this movie is. But the low production values made it very funny (unintentionally so) -- especially the bad editing during the fight scenes, where they recycled footage of the bugs from the original. Shades of old blue screen-style special effects montages! The new low rent actors are screaming lines like, "Keep firing soldiers!" Meanwhile, in some OTHER battle far away, the bugs...

The mind-blowing thing for me is this is directed by Phil Tippett, of Tippett Studios. When the head of a special effects house directs a movie, I don't necessarily expect Oscar-winning performances from the actors. But I do expect good special effects. I'm surprised anyone associated with this wanted their names left in the credits. And I'm surprised Ed Neumeier, writer of this and the Robocop series, came up with such a clunker of a script.

NOTE: I prefer e-mail to Private Messages. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dcheesi is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 01:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dcheesi Find more posts by dcheesi Add dcheesi to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dcheesi
Advanced Member

I knew it was bad when I looked at the cover --they literally pasted the new actors faces over the original headshot(s) from the first movie!

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SWFan is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 01:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SWFan Visit SWFan's homepage! Find more posts by SWFan Add SWFan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SWFan

quote:
Originally posted by jones07
Watch it and make up your own mind.............Then report back

Normally I would, but I don't want to be in this guy's position:

quote:
I wasted my time watching it and I want it back!!!!!

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SWFan is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 05:51 AM
SWFan

OMG. I just got home and there was a Netflix arrival. I opened it up to find this:

And then the music/effect sounds from the shower scene in Psycho started playing in my head

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SWFan is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 10:02 AM
SWFan

Just finished it and my vision is blurred....

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jones07 is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 11:22 AM
jones07

Just be thankful that it was a very short movie.

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SWFan is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 07:30 PM
SWFan

quote:
Originally posted by jones07
Just be thankful that it was a very short movie.

And with FF, it was even shorter.

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jones07 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 10:54 AM
jones07

Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation Review............Just For the hell of it.

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/rev...ptroopers2.html

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brahamt is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 12:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for brahamt Find more posts by brahamt Add brahamt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brahamt
Advanced Member

A direct to video sequel of a bad movie (and I liked the original). What did we expect?

Hughes HDVR2Upgraded to 70 Hours
brahamt@yahoo.com
Thierry J. Braham
Focus your mind, focus your mind...
--------------------------------------

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jones07 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 06:22 PM
jones07

I expected better when I first heard about ST-2 being made. But I did not realize it was being made for 5% of the first film's budget.

I guess the lesson learned here is. If the first movie fails to make a profit, Don't do a sequel.

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged