TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> New User, Extremely Dissatisfied <<<

Pages (4): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
HalcyonGT is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 06:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for HalcyonGT Find more posts by HalcyonGT Add HalcyonGT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HalcyonGT

I do recall doing a repeat setup and not the option to start all over.

As far as the adapters go, I spoke with tech support last night and both of the Linksys adapters (wireless & ethernet) should work.

Well, I've calmed down a bit and I guess I'll try to see if the local phone company can expedite my request for a dial tone.

Carting my Tivo back to someone else's house right now isn't an option, unfortunately.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 06:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeoTiVo Find more posts by ZeoTiVo Add ZeoTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by HalcyonGT
As far as the adapters go, I spoke with tech support last night and both of the Linksys adapters (wireless & ethernet) should work.

haveyou used the Linsys adapters on a PC to make sure they are working and getting a decent signal ?

TTiVoToGo FAQ, I have never seen a company so bashed in a forum becasue its software is a little late

• TiVo series 2/HMO 40 hours unmodded - so far
  • Toshiba SD H400 for 99$
  • JavaHMO/ paid for my HMO whiner
  • AVcast to broadcast TiVo/DVD/PC throughout house and playfort
  • 5 at a time NetFlix subscription

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HalcyonGT is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 06:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for HalcyonGT Find more posts by HalcyonGT Add HalcyonGT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HalcyonGT

Yeah, they all worked fine with both my laptops and my desktop PC.

So in sheer frustration, I started pressing combinations of buttons on the remote to escape Setup. Cause I gotta tell ya...for the unit to remember my email address and other settings but not remember having been previously setup and not offer an option to return to Tivo Central is maddening.

Anyhow, I hit the info button and on the bottom of the screen it shows what I can only assume is the version of the software, "5.2-01-2-275". And on the display of the unit this number is continuously scrolling as well. But, I can only get this number on the Welcome screen. Granted I don't think this helps me in any way...but is this the Tivo software version or no?

Last edited by HalcyonGT on 02-09-2004 at 07:15 PM

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ccwf is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 07:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccwf Visit ccwf's homepage! Find more posts by ccwf Add ccwf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ccwf
Good holiday spirit!

If you are repeating guided setup, then you are not doing initial guided setup.

With wireless adapters, the ,#401 prefix should cause the TiVo to use the wireless adapters with the settings they had configured prior to repeating guided setup. There is no ability to change the settings—you just use the same (presumably working) settings you had prior to repeating guided setup. This is discussed in the TiVo article Can I Use My Broadband Connection to Repeat Guided Setup?

TiVo Help Forumsfeatured member
TC-Con '05, June 13
中日韓 Chinese/Japanese/Korean Dramas board admin

Tristana Moore, BBC News: Arts promoter Christof Blaesius wants to rebuild the [Berlin] wall and have it decorated by artists from around the world. The idea is proving controversial.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HalcyonGT is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 07:37 PM
HalcyonGT

*hrmmm*

I'm sorry but this is becoming quite a bit much. And my patience is wearing thin so I'm apologizing in advance. Thank you, everyone for the suggestions...but I've been through all of this to no avail. And sitting on my hands waiting for the phone company is only adding to my frustration levels.

At this point all I want to know is how do I reprogram the remote without having to do Guided Setup again? Please tell me that. I'll figure out a way to get a hold of someone's land line. Networking this particular unit is going to be a fight I'll take up another day. But I've got an unbelievable tangle of wires in the middle of my floor and its been like this for three days and sitting in Guided Setup is no longer an option.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drewman is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 07:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for drewman Visit drewman's homepage! Find more posts by drewman Add drewman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drewman
Ascetic capitalist

The one part that tripped me up for a while is that the USB adapter has to plugged into the TiVo before you power it up for it to work correctly.

So, if you have it turned on and are hot-plugging various devices to get them to work - try unplugging power to(NOT standby) the machine, plug in the device, and plugging the machine back in to power.

See if that gets you going.

Andrew

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dgh is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 08:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dgh Find more posts by dgh Add dgh to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dgh
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by HalcyonGT
At this point all I want to know is how do I reprogram the remote without having to do Guided Setup again? Please tell me that.

(I assume we're really talking about the IR blaster.)

I have a stand-alone but assuming Pioneer hasn't moved the menus around it would be: New Messages and Setup > Recorder and Phone Setup > Cable/Satellite box > Satellite box setup...

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HalcyonGT is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 08:05 PM
HalcyonGT

Thanks for the tip drewman, but it still says, "Failed. Could not connect". And thats after pulling the plug from the unit, waiting 30 seconds...plugging in the adapter...and then plugging the power cord back in.

Thanks for the info dgh, I'll keep that in mind if I ever escape Dante's Ninth Level of Guided Setup.

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drewman is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 08:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for drewman Visit drewman's homepage! Find more posts by drewman Add drewman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drewman
Ascetic capitalist

Looking at the Pioneer manual, it looks like TiVo version 5 is slightly different:

Cable box control is under:

Messages & Setup -->
Channels -->
Channel Changing

which isn't the most intutitve spot for it to be in my opinion.

Also, the Pioneer manual says that you can hot-plug USB ethernet devices which could also be a version 5 feature.

Also, under

Messages & Setup -->
Phone & Network -->

Do you have a menu option:

Learn about connecting to a home network

or is it

Change connection type

If it is Change connection type, see if can you go into that menu and change from telephone to network there.

If you have already done this, I'm sorry to rub salt into wounds. I just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Andrew

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 08:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

Follow these steps and you should be able to get it working...

1) Unplug the TiVo.
2) Connect the wired USB adapter to the TiVo.
3) Connect the wired USB adapter to your router. (it will NOT work if it's connected directly to the DSL or Cable modem)
4) Plug the TiVo back in.
5) Once it boots wait an additional 5 minutes to be sure it has recognized the adapter and obtained an IP address.
6) Start setup.
7) When you get to the point where it asks if you need to modify the dialing options answer Yes.
8) Click on Dial Prefix
9) Enter ,#401 ( PAUSE ENTER 4 0 1 )
10) Click Use These Settings

If that does not work then you're going to have to take it back to a place with a real phone line or find another adapter that is compatible with the ,#401 trick. (I personally used 3COM adapters to setup all 4 of our Series 2 units without a phone line, and it worked flawlessly)

Good luck,
Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drewman is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 08:17 PM
drewman
Ascetic capitalist

Sorry, forgot you are in guided setup still - no menu access.

Can you go to a local Kinko's and ask to use one of their fax lines?

I promise that once you are past guided setup, the rest is much easier.

Andrew

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drewman is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 08:19 PM
drewman
Ascetic capitalist

One more thing - you do use a router and it does give out IP addresses (DHCP)?

Andrew

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HalcyonGT is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 08:21 PM
HalcyonGT

Yeah, thats what started to set me off two nights ago. There should have been a menu option to switch to a network the moment I plugged in the adapter and configure the necessary settings...but there never was. I kept exiting and re-entering the menus in hopes that a network option would appear. Also at the time I was faced with two problems:

1.) I couldn't figure out how to program the remote or find a menu option to change the current settings. (Although I must admit now, that if I'd gone for walk or something and then came back...I'd have found it.)

2.) For whatever the reason, the unit wasn't recognizing the adapters.

I figured I'd tackle the more immediate problem which to me was the inability to properly change channels. And not knowing any better...I figured setup would remember that the unit had already been "setup" and that I was tweaking a minor setting....this is where I am now.

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ccwf is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 08:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccwf Visit ccwf's homepage! Find more posts by ccwf Add ccwf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ccwf
Good holiday spirit!

As Dan implies, no network setup options appear in guided setup. You can use the special ,#401 dial prefix to use previously configured settings or, for initial guided setup or no network configuration previously performed, DHCP settings for wired Ethernet. Unfortunately, that's all guided setup lets you do regarding network configuration at this time.

TC-Con '05, June 13

Tristana Moore, BBC News: Arts promoter Christof Blaesius wants to rebuild the [Berlin] wall and have it decorated by artists from around the world. The idea is proving controversial.

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ccwf is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 08:36 PM
ccwf
Good holiday spirit!

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
Follow these steps and you should be able to get it working...
Thanks for the detailed procedure, Dan. I just added a link to that post in the “No (land) phone line? Want to connect TiVo to a network” section of the TiVo Help Center sticky threadBefore you ask—please check these top answers for TiVo questions!

TC-Con '05, June 13

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HalcyonGT is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 08:37 PM
HalcyonGT

Dan, yeah I thought something might have been fishy with my DHCP settings on my router...but everything checks out fine. In my place I've got a desktop PC (ethernet), a laptop (wireless), an XBOX & PS2 (wireless) that have never had a DHCP problem. I even shut everything else down to let the Tivo "talk" by itself. No dice.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoshNJ is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 08:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JoshNJ Find more posts by JoshNJ Add JoshNJ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoshNJ

If you go to...

Messages & Setup

Settings

Phone & Network

What does the screen say?

If you have the option, go to...

Edit phone or network setup

TCP/IP Settings

Specify static IP address

Enter a connection info for your router statically, for example, my linksys router assigns 192.168.1.x addresses dynamically, so I would enter such an address statically (something that won't interfere with other devices on the network, such as 192.168.1.99) Subnet mask would be 255.255.255.0, gateway would be 192.168.1.1, dns server would be from your isp

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drewman is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 08:58 PM
drewman
Ascetic capitalist

He's stuck in Guided Setup...

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Peter000 is offline Old Post 02-09-2004 09:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Peter000 Find more posts by Peter000 Add Peter000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peter000
TiVo Forum Special Member

Halcyon, sorry for the snide posts of some. Not everyone is as dismissive in the forum.

You might try plugging in the adapter, power cycling your network... hub/switch and router. I had to do this a few times in order for my TiVo to communicate with my network. Then follow the directions that Dan suggested. (Of course make sure you can see the leds lit when you you have everything plugged in.

And I'm not sure if you live in a house or an apartment... but if it's the latter, consider asking a neighbor if it's okay to run a phoneline and to use their phone to force a couple of calls.

listen
get

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cptodd is offline Old Post 02-10-2004 12:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cptodd Visit cptodd's homepage! Find more posts by cptodd Add cptodd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cptodd
Just Me!

hey one other thing. Are you using the ,#401 with a WIRED adapter? After I did my initial setup I was able to redo my setup (after I got home from my aunt's house) using the WIRED adapter. Can't remember if I tried it with wireless.

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged