TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> SOAK: want to move to canada What should I know <<<

Pages (4): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Haps is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 06:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Haps Find more posts by Haps Add Haps to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Haps
eh?

quote:
Originally posted by YamahaRick
Canada is not a state. It's a foreign country.

:-)

If you are thinking about permanent relocation, I am confident there are many issues that may come up.

My advice? Think long and hard before you go. The first thing I would investigate is their poor healthcare system. You may suffer many consequences by being a non-citizen. Not that healthcare is the greatest for their own citizens. That would be my first research project, if I were in your shoes.

My advice would be to research Canada's helthcare system before you continuing advising people on it.

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 06:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike
TiVo Forum Special Member

Hockey and Curling!

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cletus is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 07:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cletus Visit Cletus's homepage! Find more posts by Cletus Add Cletus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cletus
connecticutie

"SOAK: want to move to canada What should I know"

Canada takes a capital "C"

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

henryhank is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 08:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for henryhank Visit henryhank's homepage! Find more posts by henryhank Add henryhank to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
henryhank

Don't ask for a 'napkin' whilst dining.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Francesco is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 08:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Francesco Visit Francesco's homepage! Find more posts by Francesco Add Francesco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Francesco

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona

Lower crime.
Lower violent crime.
Higher taxes.
Extremes in weather (though few phenomena like tornadoes/hurricanes).
Most roads make those in Cuba and Afghanistan look state-of-the-art.
Cars rust quickly (though they're better made these days), and a block-heater will be handy.
Quadruple your wardrobe expense because of the cold/snow/heat/humidity.
Very affordable housing.
Affordable car insurance (YMMV).
People don't sue each other here.
Affordable food.
Higher fuel prices (YMMV based on where you live).
The healthcare system is still just fine, despite not being perfect.
Friendly people.
Proximity to major US centers if you get "homesick" (Boston is five hours from me by car, DC about eight).
Economy currently as stong as (or stronger than) that in the US.
Brain drain, for sure - but that means jobs in many advanced fields are available.
Airport taxes are expensive.
Speeding fines are heavy.
Good, no, great fishing, hunting and outdoors sports.
Ski-Doo and Sea-Doo were invented here.
Multi-culturalism in most parts of the country - we're more of a melting pot than NYC!
Did I say the roads are horrible?
The lower cost of living makes up for the higher taxes.
The higher taxes take care of you for the most part.
Except for the roads.
Finding a place to smoke can be difficult.
Canadians do talk funny (English-speaking Montrealers being the exception).
Great food. [See: multiculturalism above]
Black flies and skeeters the size of armadilloes. Well, you're near Shreveport - disregard.

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dr_mal is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 08:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dr_mal Visit dr_mal's homepage! Find more posts by dr_mal Add dr_mal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr_mal
0 lost, 50 to go...

The road issue must be a regional thing. In BC and AB, the roads are fine.

I agree that NS is beautiful, but if you want scenery AND a job, consider BC.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 09:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike

I've found the roads fine, but I haven't been as far east as Calgary for years.

Vancouver BC could really use another freeway to get into town, but so could Seattle!

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Marco is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 09:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Marco Find more posts by Marco Add Marco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marco
Malfeasor

I loved Vancouver, but the Lions Gate Bridge, *the* bridge linking downtown with North Vancouver, is all of ***three*** lanes wide. That just ain't gonna get it done.

Hey Francesco, what *is* Canadian immigration law like? Can an American just pick up and move there? Does he or she have to have a job lined up first? Etc.

Marc
1 HR10-250; 1xDSR6000, 1xDVR40; People evangelized to date: 19

I was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to kick in. -- Hunter S. Tolkien

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

johnmoorejohn is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 09:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for johnmoorejohn Find more posts by johnmoorejohn Add johnmoorejohn to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnmoorejohn

My aunt in Toronto had to wait 7 months to get a simple MRI.

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 09:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raj Visit Raj's homepage! Find more posts by Raj Add Raj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

Re Immigrating to Canada,

You should start with Citizenship and Immigration Canada, the Canadian version of the INS at http://www.cic.gc.ca. look through their website. You could probably qualify as an independent immigrant. It's a points based system, mainly on education, experience, and whether you have any relatives living in Canada. Prearranged employment helps. Immigration isn't an overnight procedure, however. It takes a while. Be prepared for that.

In memory of Ed Hopper -- 5130 --

I'm noticing more and more how my life is beginning to mirror Raj's....YIKES!! --disco

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo
1x35hr Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV DVR powered by TiVo

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 09:18 PM
GoodSpike

But how do you get all your guns into the country?

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Francesco is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 09:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Francesco Visit Francesco's homepage! Find more posts by Francesco Add Francesco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Francesco

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona

quote:
Originally posted by johnmoorejohn
My aunt in Toronto had to wait 7 months to get a simple MRI.
Was it for elective or non-emergency treatment? For urgent care here, MRIs are immediate usually, and covered by the System. I say this from experience, you'll have to trust me.

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

spartanstew is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 09:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for spartanstew Find more posts by spartanstew Add spartanstew to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spartanstew
AKA WoohooStew

quote:
Originally posted by warrenevans
well I would rather be cold then Hot (I'm in Texas)

This attitude will change, I guarantee it.

I spent most of my life in Michigan, but also lived in Montana and have spent a lot of time in Alaska and throughout Canada. You will learn to despise the cold.

The only people that would rather be cold than hot are people that have never been truly cold. Cold is to the bone.

Stew

FREQUENT INQUIRIES:
YAMM: yet another meaningless milestone
SOAK: source of all knowledge
UMF: unseen mystical force
IBTL: in before the lock
curious about picture in picture on a directivo: DO A SEARCH FOR PIP
curious as to which universal remote is the best for tivo:DO A SEARCH FOR UNIVERSAL REMOTE.

Sony SAT-T60: DirecTiVo receiver - Modified to 228 Hours
Hughes HDVR2 Directv receiver with TiVo - Unmodified
Hughes HDVR2 Directv receiver with TiVo - Unmodified
Philips DSR7000 Directv receiver withTiVo- Unmodified
Samsung SIR-S4040R Directv receiver with TiVo - Unmodified

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

classicsat is offline Old Post 02-28-2004 02:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for classicsat Find more posts by classicsat Add classicsat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
classicsat
Astute User

July first is where we (yes, I am Canadian), celebrate confederation, where the handful of British and French territiories confederated into a Dominion, (once, July 1 was called Dominion day), knind of like your Independance Day, except we never declared independance for the British, nor fought a war for confederation
(barely, there was the Metis rebellion though).

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lord Nimon is offline Old Post 02-28-2004 02:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lord Nimon Find more posts by Lord Nimon Add Lord Nimon to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord Nimon
Delicious!

quote:
Originally posted by warrenevans
well I would rather be cold then Hot (I'm in Texas) I can always put on enough clothes to be warm but you can only take so many off.

What a weird coincidence. I also live in Texas and want to move to Canada, and I said the same thing to my wife about the temperature. I'm hoping to go once I get my Ph.D.

I'm used to the cold, but I wouldn't want to live in a city that's cold and boring. That would really suck.

Last edited by Lord Nimon on 02-28-2004 at 03:06 AM

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pigonthewing is offline Old Post 02-28-2004 02:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pigonthewing Find more posts by pigonthewing Add pigonthewing to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigonthewing

There are, from what I could gather through my own unscientific observations, no unnattractive women in Montreal. I used to say I'd move there for that reason alone. Same with Boston, actually.

"one of the few times I have actually laughed out loud on the internet!" -pmyers

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 02-28-2004 02:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

I'm in Missouri, and want to move south. Anyone who wants to trade places, let me know.

Cold sucks.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JustAllie is offline Old Post 02-28-2004 03:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JustAllie Find more posts by JustAllie Add JustAllie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAllie
Back among the boxes

quote:
Originally posted by spartanstew
The only people that would rather be cold than hot are people that have never been truly cold. Cold is to the bone.

The only people who would rather be hot than cold are people that have never been truly hot.

I mean no relief -- no air conditioning, no breeze kicking up at night, nothing. 120+ degrees and no relief in sight. And try to get any work done under those conditions.

Just had to do the point-counterpoint thing.

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

paulfife is offline Old Post 02-28-2004 04:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for paulfife Find more posts by paulfife Add paulfife to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
paulfife

I'll agree with not understanding the poor roads argument. I used to live in Ontario and there was a noticable drop in quality of roads when crossing from Windsor into Detroit. Definitely a regional thing.

Maybe the long clinic waits have improved because my wife and I were there a few years ago at Christmas time and she needed to go to the clinic and only waited 30 min or so. Very reasonable. In fact better than some doctors offices I've been to with an appointment!

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jojo is offline Old Post 02-28-2004 04:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jojo Find more posts by Jojo Add Jojo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jojo
Geek Girl

Vancouver is next on my list of places to live. Beautiful city, perfect mix of city and scenery. Multicultural society, lots of jobs in my field at the moment, short drive from the city to the mountains to go skiiing, good food, friendly people. But, the weather isn't as nice as LA, so I'll stay here for the moment

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged