TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DVD TiVo Units
>>> Humax TiVo photo <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ccwf is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 03:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccwf Visit ccwf's homepage! Find more posts by ccwf Add ccwf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ccwf
Good holiday spirit!

Humax TiVo photo

I don't recall having seen a photo of the Humax TiVo, yet, so below is one from an impress Watch CES article I found off TiVo's Japanese web site. Click the photo to see a much larger version.

HUMAX製「TiVo DVR」

TiVo Help Forumsfeatured member
TC-Con '05, June 13
中日韓 Chinese/Japanese/Korean Dramas board admin

Tristana Moore, BBC News: Arts promoter Christof Blaesius wants to rebuild the [Berlin] wall and have it decorated by artists from around the world. The idea is proving controversial.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 04:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

Humax's U.S. website also has some pictures of both the TiVo and the DVD-Recorder/TiVo combo:

<http://www.humaxusa.com/>

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 06:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeoTiVo Find more posts by ZeoTiVo Add ZeoTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

I don't know much about HUMAX offerings,

what makes them different from what is offered now ?

TTiVoToGo FAQ, I have never seen a company so bashed in a forum becasue its software is a little late

• TiVo series 2/HMO 40 hours unmodded - so far
  • Toshiba SD H400 for 99$
  • JavaHMO/ paid for my HMO whiner
  • AVcast to broadcast TiVo/DVD/PC throughout house and playfort
  • 5 at a time NetFlix subscription

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tomo_kun is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 06:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tomo_kun Find more posts by tomo_kun Add tomo_kun to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomo_kun
BemaniStyle 6.0

quote:
Originally posted by ZeoTiVo
I don't know much about HUMAX offerings,

what makes them different from what is offered now ?

Its sexier and a 160(?) GB hd!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cptodd is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 07:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cptodd Visit cptodd's homepage! Find more posts by cptodd Add cptodd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cptodd
Just Me!

quote:
Originally posted by tomo_kun
Its sexier and a 160(?) GB hd!

Is size EVERYTHING?

Seriously, the series 2 recorder looks quite good!!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 08:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

Not much detail, as they aren't available yet. They are supposed to have a large capacity standalone and a DVD recorder hybrid unit. I think the expectation is that they'll be less expensive than the Pioneer options, being a Korean manufacturer.

They are also planning on selling a TV with some trick-play-like features, but they don't talk about it as using TiVo technologies.

People have been speculating that they could be the first to release an OpenCable TiVo, as they've apparently been working on OpenCable tuners and have shipping DVB (both satellite and terrestrial) receivers for sale overseas, but they've made no announcement to that effect.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DCIFRTHS is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 09:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DCIFRTHS Find more posts by DCIFRTHS Add DCIFRTHS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DCIFRTHS
My TiVo flickers !

I really like the stand alone model. Unfortunately, I won't buy it because it's silver. I hope they have a model in BLACK too.

The DVD recorder is not as nice as the stand alone, but it's good to see more people getting in the game.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmdeane is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 09:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmdeane Find more posts by dmdeane Add dmdeane to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmdeane
sedentary adventurer

I realize this is a vain hope, but it would be nice if the Humax TiVos had builtin Ethernet ports.

I know at least three people I've been hyping TiVo to for years, and they have all gone and bought Replays instead, precisely because Replay has the Ethernet port and TiVo does not.

Being network friendly and working out of the box without having to buy an extra dongle or download extra drivers or update software versions is a big plus with a lot of people who have home networks.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DCIFRTHS is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 10:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DCIFRTHS Find more posts by DCIFRTHS Add DCIFRTHS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DCIFRTHS
My TiVo flickers !

Good point dmdeane. It would be GREAT to have Ethernet on board.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsnelson is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 11:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bsnelson Visit bsnelson's homepage! Find more posts by bsnelson Add bsnelson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsnelson
TiVo Forum Special Member

Ethernet? No way. USB 2.0 is definitely the way to go, and I'm sorry, I don't buy the "dongle is too much trouble" thing. I'm running USB 2.0 Ethernet adapters on my three Series 2 DTivos and they work great.

Brad

(1) Samsung SIR4040R (35 hours)

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DCIFRTHS is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 11:36 AM
DCIFRTHS
My TiVo flickers !

quote:
Originally posted by bsnelson
Ethernet? No way. USB 2.0 is definitely the way to go, and I'm sorry, I don't buy the "dongle is too much trouble" thing. I'm running USB 2.0 Ethernet adapters on my three Series 2 DTivos and they work great.

Brad

This has been debated to death, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I agree with Brad on many things, but on this one I have to disagree.

A dedicated Ethernet port is the way to go. This will free up the USB port(s)for any add-ons that may come our way. Still holding my breath...

A dedicated Ethernet port frees us up from the mind-numbingly slow software releases from TiVo. Where's the USB 2.0 drivers?

Dongles are too much trouble. They require extra space behind the unit, they cost extra $$$, and we're pretty much tied into the chip sets that TiVo decides to support.

There's just no good reason not to include it.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LoadStar is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 11:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LoadStar Find more posts by LoadStar Add LoadStar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

quote:

Brad

No one is saying that they can't still have USB ports... just add a built-in ethernet port.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmdeane is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 11:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmdeane Find more posts by dmdeane Add dmdeane to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmdeane
sedentary adventurer

quote:

Brad

Tell that to all the people I know who bought ReplayTV instead of TiVo, even after I had explained why TiVo was superior, precisely because of the reasons that you dismiss, and for other reasons you chose to ignore.

Go read a lot of web reviews of TiVo where slowness of the initial setup over phone lines, and difficulty setting up networking, were the number one reasons why the reviewers recommended Replay or some other DVR or DVR/DVD-player/recorder, precisely because TiVo didn't think to make this a "no brainer" by simply adding an Ethernet port.

This is one instance where I can point to and show precisely how TiVo has lost potential sales and potential new subscribers. It simply isn't a debateable question anymore.

Add the d_mned Ethernet ports already. This has nothing to do with an "either/or" argument pitting Ethernet against USB. That's a red herring argument and always has been.

Last edited by dmdeane on 03-11-2004 at 12:56 PM

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmdeane is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 12:37 PM
dmdeane
sedentary adventurer

Let me try to explain the problem in terms that get us past this silly "Ethernet vs. USB" mindset.

Here's a real life example of me trying to convince someone to get TiVo:

Him: I'm going to get a DVR, and I understand why you say TiVo is superior, but I don't have a telephone landline, just broadband and a LAN. ReplayTV has an Ethernet port, so I'm going to get that.

Me: But you can add a USB dongle to connect your TiVo to your LAN.

Him: Will it work out of the box? Will it be up and working as quickly and easily as a ReplayTV?

Me: No, well, first you will have to connect to a phone landline and download your setup info and guide data...

Him: I don't have a phone line.

Me: Well, you could download the guide data at my house or somewhere else that has a phone line...

Him: And then it will work?

Me: Well, no, you will still have to wait, since TiVo 3.0 doesn't support a LAN connection, however....

Him: So it won't work....

Me: No, there are workarounds I think which work under 3.0, which...

Him: Uh-huh.

Me: ...which allow you to add some kind of prefix to allow you to "dial out" over your LAN under 3.0, which should work until you get 4.0 downloaded, but I don't know exactly how that works, but you can get the details from this neat web forum at www.tivocommunity.com...

Me: Yes, however as I was going to add, you can leave the TiVo at my house and wait for a 4.0 software update, or you can force another redial after the guide data is downloaded, and you should then get 4.0 software which will work with your LAN.

Me: Probably, unless you are using certain Ethernet or WiFi dongles which aren't supported or need new drivers loaded, but you can find more about that at www.tivocommunity.com...

Him: (eyes glazing over) Uh-huh.

One week later, and he has a ReplayTV unit installed and working fine. All arguments I make at this point about how TiVo is superior are now moot.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 02:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

quote:
Originally posted by dmdeane
Me: Yes, however as I was going to add, you can leave the TiVo at my house and wait for a 4.0 software update, or you can force another redial after the guide data is downloaded, and you should then get 4.0 software which will work with your LAN.

Actually all new units shipping today come with 4.01 preloaded, so they would only need to complete the initial setup via the phone line. In fact, with the right wired adapter, they wouldn't even need a phoneline for that. (i.e. using the ,#401 backdoor)

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MediaLivingRoom is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 03:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MediaLivingRoom Visit MediaLivingRoom's homepage! Find more posts by MediaLivingRoom Add MediaLivingRoom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

I say forget the back door, just offer Broadband connection "option" from the start... and include a USB-TO-Ethernet adapter. They can always still connect using a POTS line.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmdeane is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 05:11 PM
dmdeane
sedentary adventurer

quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
Actually all new units shipping today come with 4.01 preloaded, so they would only need to complete the initial setup via the phone line. In fact, with the right wired adapter, they wouldn't even need a phoneline for that. (i.e. using the ,#401 backdoor)

Dan

(N.B.: My dialogue - which is actually a composite conversation with several different people - took place before 4.0 was shipping preloaded, in case there was any confusion on that matter, not that I think any of them would care today about 4.0 since they don't want to buy a dongle after spending so much money for TiVo in the first place. It's really a moot point: no Ethernet means no sale to them, period, game over, end of discussion.)

The point of my dialogue posted above is that non-TiVo users aren't interested in hearing about our "backdoor" features, tricks, tweaks, and other excuses for why the dang thing just doesn't work out of the box like it should.

They want the box to work for them out of the box. They don't want to have to go to some web forum and search for this kind of info. Expect them to jump through hoops to get their TiVo working the way they want, when other DVRs make it easier for them out of the box, and they will invariably go for the other DVRs instead. TiVo loses another potential customer.

And I don't think they are being unreasonable in their expectations, either.

Sure, now TiVos are shipping with 4.0 software, but the horse has already bolted the stable and closing the door now isn't going to undo what has been done. TiVo has lost sales, gotten bad reviews, and bad word of mouth, because of this.

(N.B.: To forestall accusations of "crying over spilt milk", let me clarify here that my purpose is not to "cry over spilt milk" but to simply assert the fact that the milk has indeed been spilt. There are still a lot of people in denial over this point, who still haven't realized that this is indeed a mistake with some negative consequences for TiVo.)

And the point still stands that TiVo can't work out of the box for those who don't have landlines (without jumping through hoops, which they won't do), and that its initial set up is still painfully slow compared to what a ReplayTV can do with a broadband connection. This is a major stumbling block for many purchasers who don't have landlines. There are many more of these kinds of people now than you realize. Trust me, I have met them.

These people won't listen to our explanations or our "workarounds". They will simply buy a Replay or some other DVR. They aren't a huge number of people, but they are a significant portion of TiVos potential market right now and losing them doesn't do TiVo any good.

As long as we have to explain the "ifs, ands, or buts" about TiVo LAN functionality, TiVo loses potential customers. They aren't going to listen to our workarounds. They are going to go elsewhere. As long has we have to explain things and make excuses, we will get "uh huh" reactions and "eyes glazing over" looks, and we will lose them. Another potential TiVo convert lost.

All of this could have been avoided for a few extra dollars or cents per box with a built-in Ethernet port. "Support" costs for Ethernet are virtually nil. Ethernet has been around forever and simply works without any bugs or glitches.

Not including Ethernet ports and forcing new users to use a landline (or an obscure hack) for initial set up is simply bizarre. I understand if the current Series 2 production lines can't be changed to accomodate Ethernet now, but that restriction doesn't apply to TiVo's hardware partners.

I would hope Humax or someone else will step up to the plate and give us some choice in TiVo hardware options, rather than another "more of the same" copy of the existing TiVo standalone models. Humax, stand apart from the crowd, please! Give us some choice in TiVo hardware!

Sony provided us with some "extras" (list button, larger case and room for second harddrive, better save-to-VCR function with Sony VCRs, etc). Adding an Ethernet port would help seperate any new box from the rest of the TiVo herd, so here's hoping someone at one of the TiVo hardware partners is thinking along these lines.

Last edited by dmdeane on 03-11-2004 at 06:11 PM

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmdeane is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 06:17 PM
dmdeane
sedentary adventurer

quote:
Originally posted by MediaLivingRoom
I say forget the back door, just offer Broadband connection "option" from the start... and include a USB-TO-Ethernet adapter. They can always still connect using a POTS line.
Well, that's a thought, but it does add an extra expense to TiVo which only some of TiVo's customers will take advantage of.

If TiVo is going to spend the money anyway, it would be much cheaper in the long run to simply build in an actual Ethernet port to the TiVo hardware, rather than buying a more expense USB-to-Ethernet dongle and adding that to every TiVo box sent to retailers or customers.

So at best including a dongle with every TiVo would only be a temporary fix, until such time as all TiVos come with built in Ethernet ports as standard.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmdeane is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 06:28 PM
dmdeane
sedentary adventurer

Here's my "Reader's Digest version" of the dialogue for those who don't understand why unnecessary extra explanations end up killing potential TiVo sales:

quote:
Originally posted by dmdeane

Him: So it won't work....

Him: Uh-huh.

Him: (eyes glazing over) Uh-huh.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dkroboth is offline Old Post 03-11-2004 06:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dkroboth Find more posts by dkroboth Add dkroboth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dkroboth

Given TiVo's push to extract extra dollars for HMO and TiVo-To-Go, both of which REQUIRE network access, IMO, it only makes sense for them to invest $2.50 or whatever a 10/100 port ethernet port costs up front to make these options simpler to acquire from a user standpoint.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged