TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> YAC for two phone lines <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PortlandPaw is offline Old Post 04-02-2004 07:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PortlandPaw Visit PortlandPaw's homepage! Find more posts by PortlandPaw Add PortlandPaw to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

YAC for two phone lines

I have two telephone lines in the house, one going to one computer with a caller ID capable modem and the other to another computer similarly equipped.

The problem with YAC is that it can run as a server or as a listener, but not both. To see the calls coming in from both lines (which I can on the TiVo, since it runs as a listener and can hear calls from both computers), one would have to be running both.

So I got into the source code, recompiled it with Visual Studio .net, which is like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer, and removed the check for multiple instances of the program. Lo and behold, it worked! I now can get caller ID from both lines on all computers in the house, plus the TiVo. Cool.

So, if anybody has a similar situation and a need for a modified YAC, please go to my website and help yourself.

Maine........................ Resource List
58.5 gig HDR-112 since October, 2000
240 gig, 306 hours since January, 2004 (same machine)
120 gig DSR6000 DirecTiVo

"Just because it doesn't have buttons on the front doesn't mean it's not working!
And, no, it's not a VCR!"

There are 10 kinds of people, those who count in binary and those who don't.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mike32940 is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 01:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mike32940 Find more posts by mike32940 Add mike32940 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike32940

Would you be able to post the .Net source code?

I'd like to make a couple of changes myself.

Thanks
Mike

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PortlandPaw is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 01:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PortlandPaw Visit PortlandPaw's homepage! Find more posts by PortlandPaw Add PortlandPaw to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

YAC source code

Jenson Harris has posted all the source code on his website.

All I did was shortcut the code to check for a second instance.

What modifications do you have in mind?

"Just because it doesn't have buttons on the front doesn't mean it's not working!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mike32940 is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 11:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mike32940 Find more posts by mike32940 Add mike32940 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike32940

I thought you'd probably had to make some other changes for .Net.

Like you I have 2 lines that I'd like to hookup to my server but I'm also interested in having it page me for some incomming numbers. I thought it might make a good starting point.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PortlandPaw is offline Old Post 04-04-2004 05:29 AM
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

Hmmm...wonder if you could have two modems/two phone lines in the same computer and run two YAC servers. It would probably involve revising the config to read two different files and have one point to one modem and the other to the other.

Jenson created YAC on .net -- I couldn't compile it on anything else -- I tried all the freebies.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dth is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dth Find more posts by dth Add dth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dth

I actually managed to answer my own question, I was not using the correct two YAC configs to make it work right. Thanks again, this is very helpful.

original post:
Awesome, thanks very much for posting this. I have just only had time to play with it for a couple of seconds, but the option to "Test Network Notification (as listener)" is not enabled and I cannot see where there is an option to run it in listener mode. Where would I configure this?

Last edited by dth on 06-29-2004 at 02:48 AM

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged