TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> HR10-250 prototype photographs <<<

Pages (5): « Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
edrock200 is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 03:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for edrock200 Find more posts by edrock200 Add edrock200 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edrock200
TiVo Forum Special Member

is that drive layout similar to the series 2's? Couldn't a weaknees twinbreeze kit work?

POST #21 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dr_mal is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 03:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dr_mal Visit dr_mal's homepage! Find more posts by dr_mal Add dr_mal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr_mal
0 lost, 50 to go...

It looks like there's another (OTA?) tuner in the way

And it's a shame too -- I've got a 250GB drive just sitting here waiting...

I'm sure they'll figure something out. After all, that's how the twinbreeze came about!

POST #22 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 03:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
I woke up today and there they were in my Inbox, mysteriously appearing out of the internet ether.

looks like a row of memory chips in the front left corner?

can you see if your inbox can tell us the size or if it cant figure that out maybe it can read part numbers?

I'm curious if they juiced the memory.

looks like the cpu is probably one of those heat sinked ones- but maybe your inbox can find out what that is too?

and if your inbox comes up with any other technical information on the hardware, i'd be curious about that too.

Man - some guys just have the best inboxes!

POST #23 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 03:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK

looking a little closer, i'm actually surprised there arent any wire jumper after thoughts.

POST #24 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dropper is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 03:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dropper Find more posts by dropper Add dropper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dropper
UTV Zealot

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelK
Man - some guys just have the best inboxes!

Quit talking about Doug's inbox or his head may swell up...

Keith

1 105hr Sony SAT-W60 UltimateTV
1 40hr Sony SAT-W60 UltimateTV

POST #25 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 03:45 AM
MichaelK

i'm thinking his inbox might be the reason he got those pictures.

sometimes i wish i was in the club, my friends seem to have all the fun.

POST #26 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

NJChris is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 03:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NJChris Find more posts by NJChris Add NJChris to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NJChris
Moogs!

quote:
Originally posted by SteveHoltam
I stacked my HDVR2's 2nd drive, with just a pencil stuck between them so they were not flush together.

HEHEE Struck me as funny.... Put a piece of wood between two devices emitting LOTS of heat. :-)

POST #27 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

subcook is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 08:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for subcook Find more posts by subcook Add subcook to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
subcook

quote:
Originally posted by dave3
I like the external ide idea. REplace the ide cable that came with the tivo with a new longer one and some how fish the cable out of the unit and hook up your additional drive externaly. For power use an old computer power supply that you have laying around, I got about 3 or 4.

Something like this case would probably work, just rig an ide cable instead of USB. It even has a fan!

Andrew

HDVR2 (141 hours)
HR10-250 on pre-order from Value Electronics #210

POST #28 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rogo is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 09:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rogo Find more posts by rogo Add rogo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rogo
Advanced Member

I had both my drives outside my SAT-T60 for awhile. It was annoying for a lot of reasons.

Obviously, if the pics shown are the final design (likely), then you can imagine how very difficult it's going to be to fashion a 2nd-drive bracket. There appears to be no space on the board to mount a support.

I would recommend fashioning a bracket that attaches to the >>top<< of the case and then using a long IDE and an extension power cable to allow easy reassembly of the unit.

Mark

POST #29 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nabsltd is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 10:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nabsltd Find more posts by nabsltd Add nabsltd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nabsltd

quote:
Originally posted by rogo
I would recommend fashioning a bracket that attaches to the >>top<< of the case and then using a long IDE and an extension power cable to allow easy reassembly of the unit.
If you're not a stickler for neatness, you could just drill 4 holes through the top of the case, and mount the drive that way (all IDE drives have screw holes on the bottom as well as the sides).

POST #30 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tomo_kun is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 10:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tomo_kun Find more posts by tomo_kun Add tomo_kun to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomo_kun
BemaniStyle 6.0

Do you guys really need more then 250 GB's? Im just wondering, because most of the content on DirecTV is SD, and you have 200+hours for that.

POST #31 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

btwyx is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 10:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for btwyx Find more posts by btwyx Add btwyx to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
btwyx

quote:
Originally posted by tomo_kun
Do you guys really need more then 250 GB's? Im just wondering, because most of the content on DirecTV is SD, and you have 200+hours for that.
But your 200 hours of SD gets wiped out with 30 hours of HD.

POST #32 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Shark73 is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 10:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Shark73 Find more posts by Shark73 Add Shark73 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shark73

quote:

Assuming I have my HD TiVo by next Thursday. CBS is broadcasting 12 1/2 hours of the Master's golf tournament from April 8-11th. I will record every second that the event is on the air...that uses almost half of my 30 HD hours.

I will not keep all of it, but I would like to keep Sunday's final round which is 4 1/2 hours for a few weeks to show to others who may stop over.

To answer your question, yes, I do need more than 30 hours of HD recording space.

Jim

POST #33 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tomo_kun is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 10:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tomo_kun Find more posts by tomo_kun Add tomo_kun to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomo_kun
BemaniStyle 6.0

The 2 black post thingies in the back, are thouse the DirecTV tuners?

POST #34 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 11:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
The 2 black post thingies in the back, are thouse the DirecTV tuners?
Those are the satellite signal inputs, and probably a little RF conversion or handling of the 22kHz tone/polarity voltage generation. The BroadCom chipset actually handles the tuning, and that's likely one of the heat sink-covered chips near the front. At the left/rear (as we look at the unit from the front) is the antenna RF input for the antenna, split into two outputs and sent to the ATSC circuitry up front over 2 coax cables. From there, I'd expect those signals to go to the BroadCom chipset as well in some fashion.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #35 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Graphics is offline Old Post 04-03-2004 08:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Graphics Find more posts by Graphics Add Graphics to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Graphics

HR10-250 prototype photographs:
Those banks of dual memory on the mother board I would speculate are used in buffering reads/writes to the Hard Drive when the unit is used at it's full potential ~ View 1 source ~ Record 2 sources .etc ~
Also judging from the tips of the black cooling fan blades, you will notice DUST particles on the leading edges, (all of our PC's have it in time) which means to me that this BETA/ Prototype has been around for some time in it takes a lot of hours for that buildup to occur ~ IMO. You think there R&D departments would be cleaner. lol
------------------------------------------------------------------
I noticed the lithium battery that will eventually need replacing in a few years located on the mother board. I wonder how many will send the unit
in for repairs in later years and be charged BUCKS for the two second fix?
In the far left rear: Those look like the OTA input feed, that are then broken into two feeds via dual RCA jumpers and feed to the forward front face of unit and into the Digital Tuner for OTA, then to the mother board.
The Hard drive : WESTERN DIGITAL WD2500 250GB EIDE 8MB 7200RPM : if you search you can find that add on or eventual and inevitable replacement (hopefully An ADD ON ~ with fingers crossed) for about $160.00 or less.
I have a good feeling that the "Tivo Grui's will have this puppy humming in a few weeks" with.....ahhhhh some improvements!

Great pics dswallow, Thanks for sharing.

Broken! Make an offer as is.

POST #36 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-04-2004 02:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

While I really hate the idea of using a Hitachi Deskstar drive, it's existence bodes well for other manufacturers offering similar capacities. I could live with replacing the 250GB drive with a 400GB one. It'd be much nicer if one could be added (and the original replaced) for 800GB total, of course.

POST #37 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tfederov is offline Old Post 04-04-2004 02:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tfederov Find more posts by tfederov Add tfederov to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Graphics

I noticed the lithium battery that will eventually need replacing in a few years located on the mother board. I wonder how many will send the unit
in for repairs in later years and be charged BUCKS for the two second fix?

Assuming you don't power down that often, the battery shouldn't be an issue, should it? I mean, the only time you'd turn it off is when you're moving it.... right?

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250

POST #38 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tomo_kun is offline Old Post 04-04-2004 02:31 AM
tomo_kun
BemaniStyle 6.0

Something looks wrong with the last photo.

POST #39 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-04-2004 02:47 AM
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Something looks wrong with the last photo.
I noticed that too but couldn't figure out from the angle what was going on; the photos don't have any tell-tale signs of editing. If anyone with a good eye for checking such things wants a larger resolution version, email me. I reduce them a bit for posting.

POST #40 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged