TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> HR10-250 prototype photographs <<<

Pages (5): « Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
k2ue is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 06:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for k2ue Find more posts by k2ue Add k2ue to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
k2ue

Re: Re: Well, after some pretty extensive reviewing...

quote:
Originally posted by k2ue
An 80mm fan would be taller that the box & panel -- they might have found a 70mm, but I doubt 80mm.

The more I look at it the more it looks like a 70x70x15mm fan (2-3/4x2-3/4x5/8") -- can anyone confirm that? Can the brand and/or model be identified?

POST #61 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Lee L is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 07:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lee L Find more posts by Lee L Add Lee L to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee L

Looking at the pictures, I think the HR10-250 is sitting on top of a low-profile DVD player or something. THe 1st and 3rd pictures clearly show it to the left and below the TiVo, with the TiVo being slightly askew. Looks like they were probably further back in the cabinet and were pulled out to facilitate the picture being taken. There also looks to be a netgear hub or switch visible in pics 2 and 3, maybe someone with Xbox Live and/or a network MP3 player/HTPC?. I tried to look but the one cable I can clearly see seems to come out of the hub and go up behind the back of the HR10-250, not into it.

I also noticed the dust on everything but figured the DVD's to the left of it and the tile floor (nice!) put this as an in home and not lab picture. Plenty of dust on most home equipment.

Revenge is like serving cold cuts -

Tony Soprano

POST #62 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tivolovit is offline Old Post 04-05-2004 07:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tivolovit Find more posts by tivolovit Add tivolovit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tivolovit

GOOD EYE!

That front view has really been bothering me. I also just realized that the heat sinks on the MOBO are rotated 90 degrees. That makes more sense. The Directed Cooling option we are developing will take full advantage of that .

k2ue, you are right, 80mm would be too big, just measured the case, must be a 70mm.

RCA DVR-39 DirecTiVo 35 Hours
Hughes SD-DVR40 DirecTiVo 35 Hours
Lifetime TiVo Subscription

POST #63 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

micah67 is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 04:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for micah67 Visit micah67's homepage! Find more posts by micah67 Add micah67 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micah67

I see what's wrong: It's missing the DD5.1 logo...

POST #64 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HiDefHusker is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 06:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for HiDefHusker Find more posts by HiDefHusker Add HiDefHusker to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiDefHusker
Go Big Red!

Re: Re: Re: Well, after some pretty extensive reviewing...

quote:
The more I look at it the more it looks like a 70x70x15mm fan (2-3/4x2-3/4x5/8") -- can anyone confirm that?

Using the hard drive as a reference for size and adjusting for perspective to the back of the case, I'm pretty sure that it's a 70mm fan.

POST #65 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 11:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fofer Find more posts by Fofer Add Fofer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fofer
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by tomo_kun
Do you guys really need more then 250 GB's? Im just wondering, because most of the content on DirecTV is SD, and you have 200+hours for that.

No one's paying $1000 to record SD.

POST #66 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bocktar is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 11:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bocktar Visit bocktar's homepage! Find more posts by bocktar Add bocktar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bocktar

quote:
Originally posted by Lee L
Looking at the pictures, I think the HR10-250 is sitting on top of a low-profile DVD player or something. THe 1st and 3rd pictures clearly show it to the left and below the TiVo, with the TiVo being slightly askew. Looks like they were probably further back in the cabinet and were pulled out to facilitate the picture being taken. There also looks to be a netgear hub or switch visible in pics 2 and 3, maybe someone with Xbox Live and/or a network MP3 player/HTPC?. I tried to look but the one cable I can clearly see seems to come out of the hub and go up behind the back of the HR10-250, not into it.

I also noticed the dust on everything but figured the DVD's to the left of it and the tile floor (nice!) put this as an in home and not lab picture. Plenty of dust on most home equipment.

It is definitely sitting on top of something. That something is sitting on top of a stand for a direct view Sony TV. Looks just like my 40XBR800 stand.

POST #67 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RC3105 is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 12:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RC3105 Find more posts by RC3105 Add RC3105 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC3105
tortured genius

quote:
Originally posted by Fofer
No one's paying $1000 to record SD.

maybe not, but the folks that pay $1k will probably be recording some sd...

POST #68 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fofer is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 01:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fofer Find more posts by Fofer Add Fofer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fofer

Sure, but the real appeal of this unit is that it records HD. And I imagine folks will be taking advantage of that.

I'm sure most of the early adopters here have also gotten used to upgraded TiVos with 100+ hours of recording space. I, for one, would have a hard time going from 145 hours on my existing DirecTiVo to 30 hours (even if that's "just HD.")

Last edited by Fofer on 04-06-2004 at 01:27 PM

POST #69 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RC3105 is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 01:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RC3105 Find more posts by RC3105 Add RC3105 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC3105
tortured genius

heh, hd-dtivo peeps get to have the same exp as SA owners - a few hours at high quality, more at medium / low or get bigger drive(s)

if it does run 3.x sw mfsadd & larger drives shouldn't be a problem

the price is going to have to come WAY down though - a hd-dvr from the cable company here adds a whopping $3/mo to the bill...

POST #70 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ToddD is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 06:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ToddD Find more posts by ToddD Add ToddD to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ToddD

quote:
Originally posted by RC3105
heh, hd-dtivo peeps get to have the same exp as SA owners - a few hours at high quality, more at medium / low or get bigger drive(s)

if it does run 3.x sw mfsadd & larger drives shouldn't be a problem

the price is going to have to come WAY down though - a hd-dvr from the cable company here adds a whopping $3/mo to the bill...

and you get exactly what you pay for.....

POST #71 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

grins is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 08:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for grins Find more posts by grins Add grins to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grins

I'm just not going to decommission my 100 hr DTiVo, not even gonna change its SPs. HDTiVo gets HD only...for the time being.

POST #72 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ebockelman is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 09:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ebockelman Find more posts by ebockelman Add ebockelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ebockelman
Proud HR10-250 owner

quote:
Originally posted by RC3105
maybe not, but the folks that pay $1k will probably be recording some sd...

That's why we are keeping our SD DirecTivos. My HD Tivo will be for HD/ED programming only.

POST #73 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

k2ue is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 09:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for k2ue Find more posts by k2ue Add k2ue to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
k2ue

quote:
Originally posted by ebockelman
That's why we are keeping our SD DirecTivos. My HD Tivo will be for HD/ED programming only.

I'm not gonna try to get my wife to deal with two TiVos -- I'll be an early candidate for more disk space.

POST #74 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

grins is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 09:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for grins Find more posts by grins Add grins to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grins

I will, too...for me. I, too, don't want my SO to deal with two TiVos, so, just like now, she won't even be aware of it for the most part. When I control the remote, I'll watch the HD version, if available. Her patterns won't change until the HD has sufficient disk to support her behavior.

She told me she can't tell the difference anyway

POST #75 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drewba is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 09:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for drewba Find more posts by drewba Add drewba to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drewba

quote:
I'm not gonna try to get my wife to deal with two TiVos -- I'll be an early candidate for more disk space.

Agreed. One of the things that I'm looking forward to is consolidating my HD and SD to one box so I don't need to switch inputs on my receiver and TV just to watch HD. If I need to pony up for another drive to make this work, so be it.

POST #76 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Marcus Alzona is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 09:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Marcus Alzona Find more posts by Marcus Alzona Add Marcus Alzona to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marcus Alzona
Less Drama More TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
I woke up today and there they were in my Inbox, mysteriously appearing out of the internet ether.

KC must have sent it to him!

POST #77 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

slocko is offline Old Post 04-06-2004 09:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for slocko Find more posts by slocko Add slocko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slocko
Advanced Member

LOL

quote:
Originally posted by Marcus Alzona
KC must have sent it to him!

POST #78 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bkdtv is offline Old Post 04-08-2004 06:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bkdtv Find more posts by bkdtv Add bkdtv to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bkdtv

Second re-post from another thread...

We know that the current DirecTivo uses the Broadcom BCM702x chip for its graphics and PVR functionality. This chip supports HD, when supplied with the appropriate memory and output circuitry (which obviously the Series2 does not have). Dish Network uses the BCM702x in their Dish 921 PVR.

From this press release back in January, we know that the HDTV DirecTivo uses a newer-generation BCM7037 chip. Unfortunately, Broadcom doesn't provide documentation on the BCM7037.

Broadcom does provide information on the BCM7035 and BCM7038. The BCM7035 offers comparable functionality to the BCM7020 used in the current Series2 Tivo, but with a dedicated 3D engine. The BCM7038 offers a number of key improvements over the BCM7035, including 3/2 pull-down with automatic scene detection, built-in DVI-HDMI transmitter, an Ethernet MAC/PHY, dual USB 2.0 and dual SATA controllers, and a 3D comb filter for SD analog outputs.

It's not clear what features the BCM7037--used in the HDTV DirecTivo--is missing from the BCM7038. What is obvious: the BCM7037 in the HDTV DirecTivo is a significant step-up from the BCM702x used in the SD DirecTivo and the Dish 921 HD PVR.

Another interesting bit...

The BCM7038 product brief mentions a BCM3520 VSB/QAM demod. There is no other mention of the BCM3520 on Broadcom's web site.

The 2+year old BCM3510 is the VSB/QAM demod used in the Dish 921HD PVR. It delivers acceptable off-air reception for local signals, but doesn't equal the reception performance of the newest DirecTV HD STBs. It is at least possible that the HDTV DirecTivo uses the new, unannounced BCM3520 part, but it's not clear what improvements this will offer.

POST #79 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vstone is offline Old Post 04-08-2004 07:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for vstone Find more posts by vstone Add vstone to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vstone

This press release (http://www.broadcom.com/press/artic...r_id=PR040109-0 ) says:

"The BCM7037 provides manufacturers with a cost-effective solution for HD and SD video with support for a DVI/HDMI output interface, digital audio and 2D / 3D advanced graphics systems common to cable and satellite applications."

, which may be it's minimum capabilities.

Also listed at the Broadcom site:

BCM3250 - QamLink® OpenCable Single Chip Front-End

"The Broadcom BCM3250 combines dual 256-QAM receivers, a 4/16-QAM burst transmitter, an out-of-band QPSK receiver, a DOCSIS/EuroDOCSIS 1.1 based MAC, and a DAVIC 1.2 compliant MAC integrated into a single chip. "

The reference to the BCM 3520 may be a misprint, but the BCM3250 only mentions QAM, not VSB.

Sounds like opencable HD Tivo to me!

Last edited by vstone on 04-08-2004 at 08:05 PM

POST #80 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged