TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Ping working, but tivo can't see publisher <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dig-Doug is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 02:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dig-Doug Find more posts by Dig-Doug Add Dig-Doug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dig-Doug

Question Ping working, but tivo can't see publisher

I have installed the tivo published on a windows 2000 box. I can ping the tivo, I have included a directory to be published, but the tivo doesn't seem to be able to see the pc. I even tried installing javaHMO on another machine to see if it was something specific, but that isn't working either. I am not seeing any error messages. The tivo is able to pull guide updates no problem so I know the network is working. Any troubleshooting clues out there?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 03:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

Can you connect manually from the TiVo to the PC by choosing "Manually Add a Server..." and entering the PC's IP address? If you can, check to be sure that the TiVo and the PCs are on the same subnet (the UDP broadcast packets that announce a server's presence only go to the local subnet.)

Also, if you're running firewall software on the PC, make sure that ports 2190, 8100, 8101, and 8200 are accessible to at least the TiVo's IP address.

IIRC, the PC version of the desktop also allows you to restrict access to specific TiVos -- you might want to check to be sure that yours is allowed (although since you've tried this with javaHMO I'm guessing that's not the issue.)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dig-Doug is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 06:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dig-Doug Find more posts by Dig-Doug Add Dig-Doug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dig-Doug

Tried the manual connection and that didn't work. They're all on the same DHCP server so the computers are 192.168.1.101 and 106 and the tivo is 105. IF I choose the access control tab all I ever see is the searching flashlight. There isn't firewall software runnning that I know of on the PCs, I made sure the XP internal firewalling is turned off.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 08:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

Have you gone through the troubleshooting instructions here:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/tiv...lic/tv2017.htm?

If you have, there's a few things you could try. It could be either that the TiVo server isn't running at all on the PC, or that the beacon service isn't behaving. You can connect to the TiVo service, which usually runs on port 8101, by going to the address

http://127.0.0.1:8101/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryServer

on the PC running the server. The TiVo will try other ports if 8101 is busy, so if you've got something else running that could eat that port, you might need to try some others (the range is mentioned in the TiVo support doc I linked to above.) Most web browsers will show you the little snippet of XML that describes the server. If you connect successfully, then it could be that the beacon isn't behaving. Try looking here:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/tiv...lic/tv1163.htm?

The "access control" tab issue (eternal searching flashlight) you're seeing is new to me, but I don't run the TiVo Desktop full-time on my PC (I've got one Mac running TiVo Desktop and a second running javaHMO.) Could be related to the beacon service, I suppose, since that's what would detect the beacon packets the TiVos themselves send out.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dig-Doug is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 05:35 PM
Dig-Doug

Went through the troubleshooting document and can't go through step 4 because it tells me searching, please wait (and has the windows flashlight icon)

Was able to connect on port 8080 to the server, so I know the server is working now.

I haven't seen any messages about the beacon service. I am going to set up ethereal tonight and see if I can see what packets are actually going in and out of that pc.

Thanks for your help and patience...

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 04-09-2004 09:56 PM
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

The beacon listens and broadcasts UDP on 2190, and listens for TCP on 2190 (for "manually add server" requests), just to give you a starting point when you're starting to monitor with ethereal.

Before you go through all that, it might be worth just heading over to the windows services manager and looking to be sure the "TiVo Beacon Service" has started (and that it's set for automatic startup) if you haven't already done that.

This certainly sounds like a beacon issue.

If you've got a machine with a ZeroConf install and mdns (any Mac OS X box, or anything you'd have installed that on yourself,) you could try the command:

mdns -R TiVoServer ._tivo_servemedia._tcp local. [yourpcsipaddress]:8080

Since TiVos also look for the .tivo_servemedia._tcp ZeroConf service identifier, this could also help rule out the actual server and lay the blame on the beacon. I wouldn't exactly call this a permanent solution, though. It's probably just something wonky with your install that's preventing the beacon from starting properly.

Last edited by Dennis Wilkinson on 04-12-2004 at 06:18 AM

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dig-Doug is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 09:26 PM
Dig-Doug

It ended up being a bizarre routing problem of some kind. I have all the firewall/routing features of my wireless gateway turned off (my server even assigns dhcp address for anyone coming through wireless) I have a netgear wireless access point with four ports and I had a switch plugged in to one of those ports. The tivo could go to the internet, even talk to the dhcp server on the switch to get an IP address, I could even ping the tivo, but something still wasn't working. I moved the maching with JavaHMO over to one of the ports on the wireless point and everything immediately came up. So I apparently have some bizarre routing issue going on that I'll go finish looking at someday.

Thanks for the help though... the tech info helped me track this down.

D

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jaymart is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 08:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jaymart Find more posts by jaymart Add jaymart to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jaymart

Tivo can't find music & photo servers

I am having a similar problem , but have no idea where to start ...

My HMO isn't working right!
When I go into "Music & Photos" menu, my servers (PC's) never show up. This all worked fine when I first got HMO, but it doesn't work any longer. It doesn't work on either of my 2 tivos.
My setup ... Linksys wrt54g wireless router with the latest firmware (v2.02.7)
tivos are connected using linksys ubs wireless adapters -- these work fine, the tivos get their updates via the 'net.
my pc's are dells, with windows xp, and mcafee firewall is installed. i have already opened the ports as instructed on the "My DVR Cannot Find My Music or Photos Server (Windows)" page.
my tivo desktop can see the dvr's when I check in the access control tab.
i don't believe I have any other firewall or vpn software.
my tivo connect beacon seems to be running fine too.

Help!

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newted is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 09:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for newted Find more posts by newted Add newted to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newted

my properties server config box never opens... uninstalled and installed 15 times now. no taskbar icon ever shows up.. sounds like tons of people are having this problem.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

the_poet is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for the_poet Visit the_poet's homepage! Find more posts by the_poet Add the_poet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
the_poet

I'm having the same problem:

WinXP Service Pack 1

Tivo Series 2

D-Link Router

NetGear FA-101 Ethernet Adapter

I've reinstalled Tivo Desktop many times. I never get the icon in the taskbar. When I go to Start/Resume manually, it says "TiVo Connect Beacon Not Available!" and "The server did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."
Whenever I try to enter TiVo Server Properties, I get "The server did not respond" etc.

I'm not running a firewall or much of anything right now.

Help!

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

newted is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 09:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for newted Find more posts by newted Add newted to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newted

task bar

are you using AOL's router magic helper?

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

the_poet is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for the_poet Visit the_poet's homepage! Find more posts by the_poet Add the_poet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
the_poet

No. I stay far away from AOL products.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged