TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> $899 HD Tivos at Best Buy and/or free Dolby Stereos in May <<<

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BobJ2004 is offline Old Post 04-11-2004 10:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BobJ2004 Find more posts by BobJ2004 Add BobJ2004 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BobJ2004

$899 HD Tivos at Best Buy and/or free Dolby Stereos in May

Looks like the Mega big box stores are starting to put there funded ADs together for the big release . . . .

Talked to my relative who is an Astn. buyer at Best Buy corp.

I was talking about the new HD Tivo that I want to get.

He said to wait.

Two reasons:

1. The end of May when they have there next 10% everything in the store during the Memorial Day weekend sale so I could get it for $899.

He said they just got the confirmation that there order for 2,000 Units will start shipping to there whare houses 1st week of May so they can be pushed to the stores in time for there May 16th AD that Direct TV is partialy paying for.

He said they have not confirmed the price yet, as Direct TV is paying for the Ad, and reserves the right to set the pricing till May 1st. There was talk at one point of including a free Dobly 5.1 Stereo with a Fiber connection to go with it. There is also talk of a fix priced, but that price does not hold if you throw in free merchandise or programing at the time of sale or after rebate.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RANSOME is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 01:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RANSOME Find more posts by RANSOME Add RANSOME to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RANSOME
Gadget boy

edit

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AbMagFab is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 03:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AbMagFab Visit AbMagFab's homepage! Find more posts by AbMagFab Add AbMagFab to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AbMagFab
I love my HD Tivo!!

And my cousin, who buys stuff for Circuit City said they're going to be $300 by June! He knows this and is trustworthy.

(Maybe he said he buys stuff *from* CC? I can't remember now...)

Does anyone really think people pay attention to the "my friend says" posts anymore? Other than to make fun of them... which is fun of course...

SD-DVR40 240GB with Linksys USB200M, TivoWeb, TyTool, tivoapp patches, caller-id, mfs_ftp (but no S1->S2)
HR10-250 HD DirecTivo, 500GB with LinkSys USB200M, TivoWebPlus, HDTyTool, tivoapp patches, caller-id, mfs-ftp

Click to see my useless thoughts...
DirecTV + Tivo is better than Cable, you're wrong if you don't agree.
People I won't do business with ever again: 1) Value Electronics

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

elstonhill is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 04:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for elstonhill Find more posts by elstonhill Add elstonhill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
elstonhill

quote:
Originally posted by AbMagFab
And my cousin, who buys stuff for Circuit City said they're going to be $300 by June! He knows this and is trustworthy.

(Maybe he said he buys stuff *from* CC? I can't remember now...)

Does anyone really think people pay attention to the "my friend says" posts anymore? Other than to make fun of them... which is fun of course...

Yes, I thought the person who wrote that e-mail demonstrated a lot of detail which made his response credible. Since this person was trying to pass on useful and helpful information, you might have been more considerate in your response.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

leesweet is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 05:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for leesweet Find more posts by leesweet Add leesweet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leesweet
TiVo Forum Special Member

Ditto. Did seem to have more content than the usual my friend talked to the postman whose brother knows someone that said... post. Could still be smoke, but still

And, Ransome, you can delete any post of your own as long as it's not the thread starter. Edit it, check box at left, confirm, done!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AbMagFab is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 06:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AbMagFab Visit AbMagFab's homepage! Find more posts by AbMagFab Add AbMagFab to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AbMagFab
I love my HD Tivo!!

Actually, I think Ransome was telling the original poster to edit their post. It's pretty hard to read with all the grammar and spelling errors.

And lots of information he received from a "friend" doesn't make it any more credible. The credibility comes from who the friend is, and why his information should be listened to.

I could post a page long post with lots of details that is total BS - just cause it's long and detailed doesn't make it credible.

The only thing he said about the source is "Talked to my relative who is an Astn. buyer at Best Buy corp." I assume he meant "Asst", and so now you have to wonder if that just means secretary, or something more? How accurate has his information been in the past?

Just like the other thread going on about this topic, the information could be all twisted and turned, and so it's not credible without a credible source (and credible translation of the information, which is also in question here).

SD-DVR40 240GB with Linksys USB200M, TivoWeb, TyTool, tivoapp patches, caller-id, mfs_ftp (but no S1->S2)
HR10-250 HD DirecTivo, 500GB with LinkSys USB200M, TivoWebPlus, HDTyTool, tivoapp patches, caller-id, mfs-ftp

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BobJ2004 is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 06:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BobJ2004 Find more posts by BobJ2004 Add BobJ2004 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BobJ2004

So some are calling me a Troll?

What if you just forget what I said, use your own common sence here.

Common logic tells you that the Big Box stores will carry it soon, Direct will pay for most of the Ad, they will run some kind of discount, and Buy does have 10% off sales.

The source is a good one, trust me.

Now on the price. I did quote saying that have not finalized it yet. Direct is paying for the ad, but you do know for a fact about the Best Buy 10% sale they do these several times a year. The part we cant cinfirm out side of my source/relative is when there will be a 10% off promo.

As for the Dolby stereo, think about that one also, I have seen el cheapos at WalMart for $99. This is right in line with the price range for such an discounted promo/offer and it would be a good match for the Fiber out put of the new HD Tivo. Beats the free DVD player offer others are doing right now.

So am I a Troll? No you are for jumping on me for just reporting what I heard. Take the info how ever you want. What ever happen to the primary purpose of this forum? To boldy pass information to others about the HD Tivo.

Using my source plus just command logic= proves the info was worth posting.

Sorry I cant spell, dont have time to use the Spell checker button on my slow dial up.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

joegolf68 is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 07:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for joegolf68 Find more posts by joegolf68 Add joegolf68 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joegolf68

Geez

quote:
Originally posted by elstonhill
Yes, I thought the person who wrote that e-mail demonstrated a lot of detail which made his response credible. Since this person was trying to pass on useful and helpful information, you might have been more considerate in your response.

Nice response to an unpolite remark.

If, in fact, BB has a 10% off day, which is not unusual for some stores (JC Penny's has one, I think every year, or at least last few years here in Sacramento)

Sometimes stores will exclude some items for this type of sale.

Since the price in late May, at 10% off, is the same as I got a Good Guys when I ordered in Februrary, and VE when I ordered in February, why the hostilities? A troll? I thought it was great info for those wh have not yet ordered and could check their own BB and see if they were having a sale like this in late May.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AbMagFab is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 07:50 AM
AbMagFab
I love my HD Tivo!!

quote:
The source is a good one, trust me.

Okay, so now we're supposed to trust both your source and you? Why is that again?

And then you go on to say how it's all "very logical" even without information.

I can only conclude you're a troll, who perhaps has some tiny tiny bit of information in there somewhere, and has extrapolated a ton and tried to pass it off.

Too bad we can't tag threads like these with a date so we can definitely disprove them (or prove them true, but usually the former). It's like all those psychics who have nothing to lose since no one ever comes back to them after their predictions don't come true.

I couldn't care less if these end up at $500 in 2 months, I'll just buy another one. But that $500 extra I paid will be well worth the pleasure of those two months (or more like 8-12 months, but whatever).

I wonder what the answer to your riddle is to get me across the bridge? Nah, I'll just go the other way...

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

maharg18 is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 08:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for maharg18 Find more posts by maharg18 Add maharg18 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maharg18

Man, some of you guys scream "TROLL!!" at the drop of a hat! What did he say that was so freaking outragous? I bet Best Buy is indeed going to sell it for $999, and yes, they have "10% off storewide" deals all the time. It's not like he came in here and said they were going to be selling it for $300 or something!

HR10-250 HD Directivo
DSR704 SD Directivo

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

don'tgetit is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 08:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for don'tgetit Find more posts by don'tgetit Add don'tgetit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
don'tgetit

why are there so many know it all jerks on this board? I don't get all the hostilities, jeez give it up people, the guy was just passing out some info he heard, it's not that big of a deal to start name calling is it? I read this forum all the time and see all the a-hole remarks from people...I don't get it.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AbMagFab is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 08:13 AM
AbMagFab
I love my HD Tivo!!

See, "don'tgetit" (above, 1 post) seems to be the original poster, just further underscoring his troll nature.

Trolls are annoying. Sadly, I like to feed them.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

FatherTed is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 08:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for FatherTed Find more posts by FatherTed Add FatherTed to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FatherTed
Summer's eve pickle

quote:
It's like all those psychics who have nothing to lose since no one ever comes back to them after their predictions don't come true.

Actually most make a 10-20 posts and then are never seen again. Take GoBlue for example. He made several 'insider information' posts before the HDVR2 and then quickly disappeared.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

don'tgetit is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 08:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for don'tgetit Find more posts by don'tgetit Add don'tgetit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
don'tgetit

AbMagFab you are a total genius. A real credit to this board. Have someone check the IPs is you think I'm the original poster, Captain Clueless. How's your parents basement treating you?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rogo is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 12:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rogo Find more posts by rogo Add rogo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rogo
Advanced Member

I don't even think the original post could qualify as trolling unless the poster has made the whole thing up.

Trolling is a kinda harsh word.

This information, if true, will be borne out in a month. How many people are really in a situation where they can't make their own mind up about waiting a month and possibly saving $100 or not waiting with the understanding they might have saved a few bucks if they did?

If you can't make your own decisions WRT that over $100, maybe you shouldn't be spending $900-1000 to watch TV.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ericlovestivo is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 04:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ericlovestivo Find more posts by ericlovestivo Add ericlovestivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ericlovestivo

quote:
See, "don'tgetit" (above, 1 post) seems to be the original poster, just further underscoring his troll nature.

Trolls are annoying. Sadly, I like to feed them.

Hey, AbMag... Lay off the guy. Why are you making this personal? This forum is for the posting of "here's what I heard," so we can all gather these various data points and do with them what we choose.

(How was my spelling? I'm so anxious to see if I made a mistake and then see your posted correction.)

RCA DirecTV Series 2 70-hour
Philips 30-hour (gave this one to a neighbor)
Philips 92-hour, upgraded from 20 hours (gave this one to mom and dad)

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 05:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gromit Find more posts by Gromit Add Gromit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gromit

quote:
Originally posted by maharg18
Man, some of you guys scream "TROLL!!" at the drop of a hat! What did he say that was so freaking outragous? I bet Best Buy is indeed going to sell it for $999, and yes, they have "10% off storewide" deals all the time. It's not like he came in here and said they were going to be selling it for $300 or something!

The only thing I can figure: some people don't know what a "troll" actually is.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tomr is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 06:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tomr Find more posts by tomr Add tomr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomr
HDTivo and love'n it

quote:
Originally posted by BobJ2004
As for the Dolby stereo, think about that one also, I have seen el cheapos at WalMart for $99. This is right in line with the price range for such an discounted promo/offer and it would be a good match for the Fiber out put of the new HD Tivo. Beats the free DVD player offer others are doing right now.

This does sound like something BestBuy would do. Give away a cheap stereo with a $1000 piece of equipment. I would guess if you are buying a HD Tivo you would already have a good receiver and wouldn't replace it with this one. One the other hand if your kid doesn't have one or you could hook it up in the bedroom or just about anyplace besides the HDTivo.

As to waiting for the price. Most pre-orders have already received the 10% off deal from more than one source. I don't doubt the OP. The deal ain't worth waiting for.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

slocko is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 06:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for slocko Find more posts by slocko Add slocko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slocko
Advanced Member

I thought to be a Troll you had invade someone elses thread?

How can it be trolling when you start your own thread? In a twisted way, those that are accusing him of trolling are really the trolls in this case since it was his thread!

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

trollhole1 is offline Old Post 04-12-2004 07:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for trollhole1 Find more posts by trollhole1 Add trollhole1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trollhole1

AbMagFab

AbMagFab You are the troll here! Yep it's you who comes into a post to put someone down who is trying to give info whether it good info or bad it's not your place to berrate someone just cause you don't agree. And as someone else said it, it is his post not yours. It's not like what he is saying couldn't happen.

I'm the only real troll here all others just want to be like me!

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged