TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> What are your thoughts on a native output mode? <<<
Which option most closely resembles your thoughts on native passthrough?
This poll is closed.
I will not buy a HR10-250 until it can do native passthrough 42 18.75%
Native passthrough would be cool, but I'll survive without it. 157 70.09%
I like my TiVo like I like my Ronco-matic. Set it and forget it! 25 11.16%
Total: 224 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (6): « Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dswallow is offline Old Post 04-25-2004 05:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

"Native to the received signal"?

I suppose whoever first used the terminology might have needed a single word to fit on some display. My exposure to it was on the Zenith SAT-HD520 (same as the Sony HD200), and it's similarly used on the next-year models from Sony and LG Electronics.

They also have "Hybrid 1" and "Hybrid 2" which are just Native mode but with HD material being locked to 720p or 1080i all the time.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #41 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scottie is offline Old Post 04-25-2004 05:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for scottie Visit scottie's homepage! Find more posts by scottie Add scottie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scottie

quote:
Originally posted by GoodSpike
I'm not following. What would be best for your TV is 788p. Rather than native, you'd be best off with that as an option. Native would be the second best option.

No....what is best for the tv is for it to receive the signal in its orginal format with no conversion by the Tivo receiver. Should be simple but on this receiver is isn't is in my opinion.

POST #42 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 04-25-2004 05:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by scottie
No....what is best for the tv is for it to receive the signal in its orginal format with no conversion by the Tivo receiver.

You're assuming the TV would convert it better than the Tivo.

POST #43 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dr_mal is offline Old Post 04-25-2004 05:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dr_mal Visit dr_mal's homepage! Find more posts by dr_mal Add dr_mal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr_mal
0 lost, 50 to go...

quote:
No....what is best for the tv is for it to receive the signal in its orginal format with no conversion by the Tivo receiver. Should be simple but on this receiver is isn't is in my opinion.

That wouldn't be best for my TV. Anything in 480i or 720p would just appear as gibberish on my TV.

POST #44 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 04-25-2004 05:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GoodSpike Find more posts by GoodSpike Add GoodSpike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoodSpike

quote:
Originally posted by dr_mal
That wouldn't be best for my TV. Anything in 480i or 720p would just appear as gibberish on my TV.

You're assuming your TV wouldn't enjoy that!

POST #45 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-25-2004 05:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
For those whose TV did convert it better, wouldn't it be better to have the option than to suffer vocal people talking about how crappy the picture looks from the receiver?

No question in my mind that my TV is one of those that does a better job at conversion. I know I've gotten 20 or 30 people at AVSForum deals to get the same model from the dealer I got mine from.

So there's potentially 20 or 30 people just in my circle of acquaintances who would be preferring this feature be available if desired.

I doubt anyone is really saying "I don't want this feature to exist at all" though, right?

POST #46 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scottie is offline Old Post 04-25-2004 05:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for scottie Visit scottie's homepage! Find more posts by scottie Add scottie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scottie

quote:

I don't really think that is an assumption on my part. I would consider it a fact. Also, converting a signal twice only serves to degrade the signal quality.

POST #47 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 04-25-2004 06:00 AM
GoodSpike

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
I doubt anyone is really saying "I don't want this feature to exist at all" though, right?

I don't know that I'd assume that. There are a lot of people that like to control the choices other people make!

I'd say it's a good option to have, but one many or even most people don't need for one reason or another (which is probably why it isn't in the initial release).

POST #48 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GoodSpike is offline Old Post 04-25-2004 06:09 AM
GoodSpike

I just checked an the MyHD card offers three 768p resolutions, but no 788p choice. I'm not sure what the 1280x768 is for, but the other two are 4:3 and 16:9

POST #49 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-25-2004 06:10 AM
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
I just checked an the MyHD card offers three 768p resolutions, but no 788p choice. I'm not sure what the 1280x768 is for, but the other two are 4:3 and 16:9
A common PC monitor "widescreen" resolution. I think it's common among some plasma displays too.

POST #50 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MichaelK is offline Old Post 04-26-2004 06:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelK Find more posts by MichaelK Add MichaelK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelK

quote:
I don't really think that is an assumption on my part. I would consider it a fact. Also, converting a signal twice only serves to degrade the signal quality.

scottie-

i think the point was that although YOUR set does a better job but its not clear that ALL displays do a better job then the TIVO.

Also for folks with 768 or 788 displays- there will be a conversion no matter what- so i think native mode almost definately makes more sense. But there are displays that have native resolutions of 720p or 1080i so then its very possible that the Tivo can do as good a job or better than the display by making all the coices into the native resolution of the display (especially if the display is older).

Someone posted above how it is so STUPID of Hughes. I would say it started out years ago with STUPID people who allowed too many choices for ATSC and then only got compounded by the display manufacturers who made inputs that cant take all the flavors. And I cant for the life of me figure out what moron decided that these awesome looking plasmas and projectors that have native resolutions that arent 720p- you cant even put a 720p signal into the things without it needing to get converted- probably that is the reason the plasma makers have such great stretch modes- they have no choice but to screw with every signal input and covenrt it to their non ATSC display. Then i cant totally follow but it seems some people have displays which decide to strecth of not to stretch based upon the input reslution without any user input allowed- now that seems pretty silly to me Hughes was just another in a long line of dumb decisions made by a long line of people in this conversion to digital tv.

All that being said- adding the option to the Tivo would help remediate a bunch of poor deicions made by others so hopefully it will be a short time before it is implemented.

POST #51 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

davsherm is offline Old Post 04-26-2004 07:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for davsherm Find more posts by davsherm Add davsherm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davsherm
Now w/o HD Tivo :(

quote:
"Native to the received signal"?

I suppose whoever first used the terminology might have needed a single word to fit on some display. My exposure to it was on the Zenith SAT-HD520 (same as the Sony HD200), and it's similarly used on the next-year models from Sony and LG Electronics.

They also have "Hybrid 1" and "Hybrid 2" which are just Native mode but with HD material being locked to 720p or 1080i all the time.

I have the Sony HD200, and I use the Hybrid 2 setting because some Dtv SD channels look terrible converted up to 1080i. One reason why I would like to see this type of setting on the HD Tivo would be to record something in SD at 480i followed by something in HD at 1080i without having to manually change modes on the HD Tivo. Hopefully this is something they can fix easily and quickly, unlike some of the other nagging issues on some of the other platforms that went on for far too long (audio dropouts?).

POST #52 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jautor is offline Old Post 04-26-2004 07:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jautor Find more posts by jautor Add jautor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jautor
Also wants a pony

quote:

How does the way the TiVo work cause the signal to be converted twice? I mean, everything is converted to a single, selectable output format. You pick the output that is the correct one for your TV. For me, that's 720p (DLP). If something comes in 720p - no conversion. If it's 480 or 1080i, it's converted to 720p. One conversion. Done.

Am I missing something?

Jeff

POST #53 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-26-2004 07:50 AM
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by jautor
Am I missing something?

#1 HR10-250 converts it.

#2 Your display converts it.

POST #54 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jautor is offline Old Post 04-26-2004 08:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jautor Find more posts by jautor Add jautor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jautor
Also wants a pony

Oh, ok, I see now - if your display is not a CRT nor a 'native HD resolution' fixed pixel display (aka many plasmas).

Jeff

POST #55 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ethan is offline Old Post 04-26-2004 11:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ethan Find more posts by ethan Add ethan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ethan
Lurker

quote:
No question in my mind that my TV is one of those that does a better job at conversion.

I believe the same of my TV, and would like the TiVo to pass-through the "broadcast resolution" to be scaled to 1080i by my TV.

My TV only allows non-linear stretch modes when in 480i/p. Since I'll be new to HD (when it finally arrives!), I'm not familiar with how D* broadcasts. Are all non-SD broadcasts in 16x9? If not, I'd like to receive broadcasts in their native resolutions, but with the ability to override this setting (typically dropping to 480i/p) without too much hassle in order to take advantage on non-linear stretching.

POST #56 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 04-26-2004 11:03 AM
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by ethan
My TV only allows non-linear stretch modes when in 480i/p. Since I'll be new to HD (when it finally arrives!), I'm not familiar with how D* broadcasts. Are all non-SD broadcasts in 16x9? If not, I'd like to receive broadcasts in their native resolutions, but with the ability to override this setting (typically dropping to 480i/p) without too much hassle in order to take advantage on non-linear stretching.
All 720p and 1080i broadcasts are widescreen. However the stations sometimes do show upconverted SD material. But the stations are broadcasting pillar-boxes as part of the picture to make up for the SD 4x3 material being sent in a format that's only widescreen, so you really can't get rid of them since even at 480i the pillar-boxes are squeezed into the 4x3 frame with an even smaller picture in the middle, thus you end up having to linearly stretch or else you get really thin people with a non-linear stretch.

The broadcasters are doing their very best to ensure that somehow, somewhere, people can't get the picture they'd prefer to be able to see.

POST #57 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ethan is offline Old Post 04-26-2004 11:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ethan Find more posts by ethan Add ethan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ethan
Lurker

quote:
All 720p and 1080i broadcasts are widescreen. However the stations sometimes do show upconverted SD material. But the stations are broadcasting pillar-boxes as part of the picture to make up for the SD 4x3 material being sent in a format that's only widescreen...

thx for the info. Luckily, I won't have to worry about it until this possible native "solution" is in place.

POST #58 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CyberTom is offline Old Post 04-26-2004 11:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for CyberTom Find more posts by CyberTom Add CyberTom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CyberTom
TB Lightning Fan

Please help me understand this. My Toshiba can change to any mode. So say your Tivo recorded Monday Night Football on ABC which they broadcast in 720p. Then I would set my Tivo and Toshiba both to 720p. And there would not be any conversion of the signal, right?

DirecTV TiVo HR10-250
Harmony H688 Remote

POST #59 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Joe Jensen is offline Old Post 04-26-2004 11:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Jensen Find more posts by Joe Jensen Add Joe Jensen to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Jensen

Very desireable for me, I've already perordered, so it wasn't a showstopper. That said, if I see obvious issues with their scaler it would prompt me to switch to an alternative carrier.

POST #60 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged