TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> iTunes 4.5 ... <<<

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Stuckeyboss is offline Old Post 04-29-2004 02:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Stuckeyboss Find more posts by Stuckeyboss Add Stuckeyboss to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stuckeyboss

iTunes 4.5 ...

Hi Folks,

I was curious if the TiVo Desktop for the Mac 1.8 is compatible with the newly released iTunes 4.5? Has anyone taken the plunge and tested it out?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 04-29-2004 04:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

We havn't tested it internally as far as I know, but it seems to work fine from my iBook running iTunes 4.5 and TiVo Desktop for Mac 1.8.

Last edited by TiVoBill on 04-29-2004 at 04:49 AM

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

KermitTheFrog is offline Old Post 04-29-2004 07:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KermitTheFrog Visit KermitTheFrog's homepage! Find more posts by KermitTheFrog Add KermitTheFrog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KermitTheFrog
Is that a Garaffe?

ahhh... too busy testing 2.0.... i understand.. feel free to send 2.0 our way for testing :-) Us mac folk gotta stick together.

KC

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Sevenfeet is offline Old Post 04-29-2004 06:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sevenfeet Find more posts by Sevenfeet Add Sevenfeet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

Someone should check out the new Apple Lossless encoder...given that AACs don't play on the TiVo, I doubt this new encoder is supported either.

Last edited by Sevenfeet on 04-29-2004 at 06:55 PM

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 04-29-2004 10:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

Only MP3s are supported. You'd have to transcode other formats to MP3, and the current TiVoDesktop for Mac doesn't do that (neither does the Windows version, although it supports plug-ins that can.)

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iDriveX is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 08:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iDriveX Visit iDriveX's homepage! Find more posts by iDriveX Add iDriveX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iDriveX
Neo-Trek Lover

What really sucks is that I bought a CD from the iTunes Music Store 4.5 and tried to use ilovemp3 to convert it to Mp3 so I could play it on my TiVo and it just produced silent tracks Looks like ilovemp3 is useless now. Gonna have to burn them to CD and then Reimport them.

AirPort Express

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

KermitTheFrog is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 09:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KermitTheFrog Visit KermitTheFrog's homepage! Find more posts by KermitTheFrog Add KermitTheFrog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KermitTheFrog
Is that a Garaffe?

If you have a program on your machine that can burn to an image file instead of to CD.. you can save yourself some time... and money.

KC

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bigg is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 01:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bigg Find more posts by Bigg Add Bigg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigg
Advanced Member

ii just dled iTunes 4.5 (winxp) in hope of getting the free songs. And they were trying to make me give credit card info. For a free song??? Yeah right. Well, anyway, as dumb as absurd as the idea of buying music online when there is kazzaa seems, iTunes as a media play and song organizer rocks!!! i love the rating feature and stuff like that. And how it just automatically makes it into a playlist and has nice colums for everything. Very impressive. And it works with iPod. iTunes really doesn't have anything to do with HMO though, as the music is in your shared folder or a folder like that for another p2p app. I'd have to say iTunes is very impressive though as a music player/organizer and app for the iPod to sync with. Whats with buying music online though??? I could see buying it in the store, or dling off of kazzaa. i personally sample the music from kazaa, then buy the very best in the store. Anyways, most of the stuff on kazaa is .mp3 so it works with HMO.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Peter000 is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 02:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Peter000 Find more posts by Peter000 Add Peter000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peter000
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bigg
as dumb as absurd as the idea of buying music online when there is kazzaa seems,[snip] Whats with buying music online though??? I could see buying it in the store, or dling off of kazzaa. i personally sample the music from kazaa, then buy the very best in the store. Anyways, most of the stuff on kazaa is .mp3 so it works with HMO.
If you "sample" music from kazaa, then buy it, why not just go to one source, "sample" and buy? Like iTunes or Napster? Napster from what I've heard will let you listen to the whole song before you buy. iTunes will only let you hear :30 but it's enough usually to get the gist. And almost every music group has a website that you can listen to some tracks for free.

Downloading copywritten music off of Kazaa is stealing, plain and simple. It's like going to the music store, shoplifting the CD then saying, "If I like it well enough, then I'll pay for it." There are plenty of other free ways to hear the music first before buying... such as in store CD sampling that almost every music store has these days. The downloading services almost always let you sample music. And there's radio stations, and internet radio (a whole lot of internet radio) that can introduce you to new sounds.

Sorry for the thread hijaak, but this issue is close to my heart. (and no I'm not part of the Music Association... I just know alot of struggling musicians who deserve more than having songs traded on Kazaa.)

listen
get

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bigg is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 05:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bigg Find more posts by Bigg Add Bigg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigg
Advanced Member

THese artists must EARN their money, not just become rich overnight. Getting music from kazaa and stealing a cd are two different things. There was an actual cost for a company to make a cd. They paid nothing for kazaa's network, nothng for my 3000K cable connection. i learn about new artists, and am able to listen to their music in full a few times before I buy it in order to find the best. If I was not sampling on kazaa, i probably would just be listening to internet radio. This is why the music biz was booming in the dayz of free-for-all napster. And that was with a slow and expensive internet made up mostly of on-and-off dial-in connections, where today we have 3000+K cable connections with 256-384 uploads. Smart artisits plop their own mp3s into their shared folders. There was a colum in PCMag a while back that explained why napster was the perfect marketing tool for the artistis. I won't pay to download music, and i won't do PPV (if i had acces to it anyways). Call me old, even though I really am quite young, but I don't want to pay for an mp3 that i can just a s well get off kazaa in mp3, not the silly aac that nothing sees. A cd is a whole different thing as i can play it on my stereos, in my cd player, or really anywhere. Artists whp think kazaa hurts their business are DUMB. They need to realize that they should plant high quality versions of their work on kazaa, which is legal because it comes from them, and then they can sell more because of people being exposed to their music, and maybe just liking it. And if they aren't doing well, maybe its just because their music sucks, and they should get a REAL job.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

thelastvoice is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 12:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for thelastvoice Visit thelastvoice's homepage! Find more posts by thelastvoice Add thelastvoice to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thelastvoice

quote:
Getting music from kazaa and stealing a cd are two different things. There was an actual cost for a company to make a cd. They paid nothing for kazaa's network...

But a company did pay (probably hundreds of thousands of dollars) for studio time, recording equipment, musicians, engineers and producers.

quote:
Artists who think kazaa hurts their business are DUMB.

Actually, it's the record companies that think Kazaa hurts their business. It's a very small minority of artists that became rich from cd sales.

quote:
They (artists) need to realize that they should plant high quality versions of their work on kazaa, which is legal because it comes from them

The problem is that unless you're one of a handful of superstar artists, you most likely don't own the rights to your songs. They are owned by the record company. So in most cases, it would be illegal for the artist to plant their work on Kazaa.

Rob

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattman is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 12:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattman Find more posts by mattman Add mattman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattman
Deep In The Mattcave

"Getting music from kazaa and stealing a cd are two different things"

True, but both are still a version of theft. I'm not making a judgement on you, because I have done my fair share of p2p filesharing, so that would be the pot calling the kettle black. I just feel that people need to understand what they are doing. If you download a song from a p2p network then you are using the song without paying for it. That means you are not compensating the rights holder to the music. Whether, that is the artist or a record company is immaterial, you are taking what is not yours. Again, not a judgement, just an observation that makes it clear what is happening. If you steal the CD from a store, you are doing the same thing, but you are also stealing the physical property from the store owner, and thus their part of the profit chain. It is different, but the rights holders lose their portion of the profits either way.

Your mention of what artists should do has some valid points, but they are not required to distribute in any method you choose, just because you want it. When they don't it doesn't give anyone the right to take what is not theirs, it just becomes an excuse for those of us who don't want to give up an easy way to get music. Rationalizations don't change the facts.

Just my 2 cents plus a few more.

Matt

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bigg is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 07:29 PM
Bigg
Advanced Member

Napster helped the msuic biz bak a while ago. Kazaa could do the same if the msuic biz encouraged it. Currently I have over 350 downloads searching for a source. I am not doing anything that is aganst the interest of the artists. To h*ll with the greedy music companies.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

thelastvoice is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 11:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for thelastvoice Visit thelastvoice's homepage! Find more posts by thelastvoice Add thelastvoice to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thelastvoice

quote:
I am not doing anything that is aganst the interest of the artists.

Unless the artist has decided that giving away his/her music for free isn't in their interest.

quote:
To h*ll with the greedy music companies.

So basically you're saying that because record companies make a lot of money selling cds (which is the whole reason they're in business, btw), it's ok to steal music from them if you don't want to pay for it?

Rob

Last edited by thelastvoice on 05-02-2004 at 03:28 AM

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bigg is offline Old Post 05-02-2004 07:28 PM
Bigg
Advanced Member

I am "stealing" the artists music. iF I didn't "steal" it, I would have never listened to it. Thus, I might buy thier cd and then they make a buck a two. Its good for the artists. The reason I say "to H*ll with the greedy music companies" is because they are too stupid and arrogant to realize that killing kazaa is killing their business. And they ways they do it are not legal at all.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iDriveX is offline Old Post 05-03-2004 07:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iDriveX Visit iDriveX's homepage! Find more posts by iDriveX Add iDriveX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iDriveX
Neo-Trek Lover

Regardless of the Ethics involved, I just think it's pretty crappy that regardless of what format you use (Windows is using a protected WMA format, Real is developing a format or trying to get in on Apple's format, and Apple uses a protected AAC format) they can't be listened to on my TiVo. I paid $100 for this feature. I understand why Apple is making is making it so that you can't convert the song to an unprotected mp3 format, but I wish we could just decide on an industry standard so that I could listen to the music I personally bought on any number of different devices.

AirPort Express

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rshrieve is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 03:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rshrieve Find more posts by rshrieve Add rshrieve to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rshrieve

To get back to the original question of this thread...

I just set up HMO yesterday with Tivo Desktop 1.8 for Macintosh. We are using it with iTunes 4.5 and it works just fine.

It would be nice if Tivo HMO could use the new "Party Shuffle" feature available in iTunes 4.5.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rshrieve is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 03:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rshrieve Find more posts by rshrieve Add rshrieve to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rshrieve

Just found out that, while HMO works with iTunes 4.5, it will not play (or see) music purchased at the iTunes Music Store which are stored in MPEG-4/AAC format. It plays MP3 files in your iTunes music library just fine.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 04:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by rshrieve
Just found out that, while HMO works with iTunes 4.5, it will not play (or see) music purchased at the iTunes Music Store which are stored in MPEG-4/AAC format. It plays MP3 files in your iTunes music library just fine.

Yes, that has always been the case. Music purchased from the Apple Music store uses a DRM scheme that only allows it to be played back in either iTunes or on an iPod.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Austin Bike is offline Old Post 05-05-2004 07:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Bike Find more posts by Austin Bike Add Austin Bike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Austin Bike

OK, I have Windows 2000 and Tivo Desktop. How do I get iTunes to broadcast to my TiVo. I've searched everywhere and can't find the answer.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged